Compact wide angle M lens options

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 minutes ago, Boojay said:

I did realise, you didn't get anything wrong.    As someone who is completely lost with anything wider than around 24mm FF, I love to see what you and others - Dippy for example, (where is she just now - hope she's ok? ), do with these wide angle lenses.

:D 

Ultra-wide takes me a bit of time to re-organize my eyesight and mind around. Once I start shooting with ultra wide, it's far better for me to NOT change to anything else for a long while ... I lose the plot on both ends when I switch back and forth too much. This is one reason why I prefer the 10mm lens vs the 11-23mm zoom ... I get far fewer usable photos when I play with the zoom ring too much. The dividing line, for my eyes, is right around a FF 21mm FoV equivalent: wider than that and I have to concentrate and ONLY shoot that. Above that, and I can swap a 35 or 50 or 75 eqFOV back down to 21mm with little loss of my intended visual ideas. 

Selection of 'the right lens' thus goes somewhat beyond simply "which lens performs best?' 

G

• Like 3

Good discussion reg. ultra-wide actually!

During my former APS-C life, I really liked the Heliar 12mm for my UW needs.
Actually, in my FF life, 15mm is enough.
But if I buy a CL to replace my M, I think I'll go back to 12mm (or 10mm).
12mm might be a good solution, for both sensor sizes ...

Edited by cp995