The anti-modernism rant- controversy warning!

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not quite the same I am saying, Ed, I would rephrase to : "all people should have the chance to attain their optimum level". Whilst recognizing that we have giants as well as pygmies. I object to the levelling influence of marketing-driven technology when it cuts the giants down to the level of the pygmies and prevents the best of the pygmies from growing.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not quite the same I am saying, Ed, I would rephrase to : "all people should have the chance to attain their optimum level". Whilst recognizing that we have giants as well as pygmies. I object to the levelling influence of marketing-driven technology when it cuts the giants down to the level of the pygmies and prevents the best of the pygmies from growing.

To my dismay, JAAPV may be close to making a point I agree with here. Rephrased again: it's *very* hard to buy an inexpensive [digital] camera with decent manual controls that the user can discover in their own good time. Taking photos is a learning curve: no-one on this forum sprung fully-formed from the brow of Zeus with their skills in place. To begin with, automation can be a huge help. But if the chance to outgrow it isn't built into the camera, there's little incentive or opportunity to develop a more crafted, artistic method of working.

The best manual-controlled small camera I've found – and I bought it – is the Ricoh GX100. But that's not exactly inexpensive, and it's not available in the US, and most of the Jessops-visiting public will never see it. Over and over in magazines and online, reviewers bemoan the lack of manual controls, optical viewfinders, RAW capability etc on smaller cameras, and hardly any manufacturer takes notice (both Nikon and Canon are actively removing RAW capability from their mid-to-top-end P&Ss).

I don't buy for a minute that the public is getting what they want any more than they're getting what they want from Hollywood's latest crop of summer blockbusters. Sure they buy the product, but that's because there really is no alternative offered. We're all in the position of having shelled out £5000+ for our cameras, and that's certainly NOT a general alternative.

I still think that the automation we now have is a great way of getting well-exposed, well-focused pictures into the hands of Aunty Mabel (and my dad, who inherited my D100 and loves it, and never takes it off Program mode except by accident – but he does take well-composed, expressive shots with it, though mostly of flowers in his garden and cacti in his greenhouse). But likewise, a friend of ours who had spent a couple of years with a P&S doing a "photo a day" series and had realised she wanted to stretch herself a bit, ended up having to buy a DSLR just to get the manual options. And that won't fit in her pocket, so it doesn't travel with her as much, so she's taking fewer photos and the PAD project is compromised as a result. That's a shame.

And now off to the beach...

jaap ...... exactly..........

democracy ???

it is more marketing ans consumerism tirany and dictatorship.. or as i called it many times - masses of sheeeeeeeeeeeeps.......

why study all the stupid function throughout days and nights, and why not just learn how to use aperture and shutter speed......

why think that u "catch the moment" that does not exist and why not just create the moment or vision the upcoming happening and be ready for it......... it is eassy....... much eassier then all those jurks with AAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTOOOOOOOOO cameras think (if they think).

"picture is important" some say ?...... ah didnt know that ........ good to know........ u suddenly open my eyes....... :))

exposure is not a technical issue.......... but people are so obssessive, lack of confidance that they make it THE issue of perfection and become obssessive...... so is focus.......

it is a creative dicision......

and perfection....... it comes ....... i dont see any problems with it.......... when u get experienced (and that doesnt take much time)

Good grief, these posts are like the cries of Bedlam! All the nutters gathered together and rambling increasingly incoherently. loudly, desperately.

Jaap had a rant and, as intended, all the other ranters joined in the chorus!

Now - I'll add my rant to the pandemonium ...

Yes, there is a case to return to basics, provided that in returning to basics the core essentials of great photography are not compromised - brightness, contrast, sharpness where the light and recording media are concerned. Ergonomics, consistent performance and reliability where the technology is concerned and talent where the human interface is applied.

The last one is usually the most problematic, but my rant still adds up to a strong case for using the Leica M8.

Now where's my straitjacket .....

Imants and I have one for you .....custom made with an "L" embroidered just for Leica fans:D .

Ed.

Hi' Ed,

Have you seen Luigi's latest offering? Superbly worked leathers and he'll make it in any size you like, so long as its tight!

I'm going to suggest a modification though. With this one I just can't quite get my M8 to eye level.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest stnami

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!