Your Focusing experience for 75/90 lenses (OVF)

Dennis

@adan I have a tricky question if you don't mind, I'm sure you can explain well the answer. Let's say I shoot the same photo (a portrait of my dog) with a 90mm Summarit at F/2.4 and with a Nokton 75 at f/1.5. Focus distance set at 90cm (because Summarit has 90cm minimum focus distance, while Nokton has 70cm, so we use 90cm)

Which one will give me less DOP for the background?  

I know that DOP depends from the f/stops we are using, plus the FL, plus the distance, right? Do I have more bokeh with the 75 CV cause the fastest aperture? Or with the 90?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The near and far limit are the same! There was not f/1.5 value, so I entered 1.4

If I shoot with the 75 CV at 70 cm, I know it wins. But at 90cm? How can we "calculate" the Bokeh? Hope it's not too much to ask.

8 hours ago, Dennis said:

Which one will give me less DOP for the background?

I don't know either but i'm no adan fortunately for him :D. Both have the same total DoF (depth of field) more or less with those settings. As for knowing how DoF is split between background and foreground, it depends upon the design of the lens. BTW bokeh is a subjective matter. It cannot be calculated. :cool:

Edited by lct
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I posted these (very much throwaway...:lol:...) snaps a few months ago in the 'Discontinued Summarit' thread but thought Dennis might be interested as both 75 and 90 lenses were used. FWIW focussing each was on last character (rhs) nearest Teddy. Both were shot wide open (at f2.5) and at respective min. focus distance of 0.9m (75mm) and 1.00m (90mm).

First image is 75mm f2.5 Summarit. Second was 90mm Summarit f2.5  Exposure for both was 1/15 sec hand-held. The original point of the exercise was to illustrate how sweet (IMO) the oof rendering / Bokeh was both in front of and behind subject matter for each of these much-maligned lenses;

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The act of focussing was absolutely straightforward. Not even the slightest difficulty.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you Philip for posting them again. Great to see how the two lenses behave, and the result is VERY similar in many aspects. Personally, I like better the 75 rendering. But I prefer the Teddy's expression on the second one 😂

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dennis said:

...I like better the 75 rendering. But I prefer the Teddy's expression on the second one 😂...

He'd managed to snaffle a mouthful or two of the wine behind my back as I was changing lenses...

Philip.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Dennis said:

...Great to see how the two lenses behave, and the result is VERY similar in many aspects. Personally, I like better the 75 rendering...

Thank you in turn, Dennis.

What I thought was interesting (Teddy's expression apart!) was how different was the depth of field - especially in front of the focus point - with each lens. With the 75mm the first character of the writing is still reasonably 'in-focus' but with the 90mm - even considering the marginally longer min. focus distance - this relative sharpness isn't reached until perhaps half-way along the lettering. Also the 'spread' of the highlight detail at the very top-right in the 90mm snap is noticeably more clearly delineated in that of the 75.

No 'Rights' nor 'Wrongs', of course; just slightly different. Each lens still 'draws' much the same and has a near-identical 'Signature' to the overall look.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1

Then, I just realized yesterday how the 90 Frame liens are in my M10 (just moving the lever)... And I changed my mind about the 90 😂If I'll get in the future a longer FL than 50, it would probably be a 75

• Like 1

Better try the lenses in person before deciding. Both Summarits are very good (i have the 75/2.5 and the 90/2.4) but you might feel that 75 is very close to 50mm. As for comparing them as far as focussing is concerned, i would not do it with any rangefinder as the least move of the focus ring can change the look of the pic. On mirrorless cameras, i have never seen significant differences i must say but i'm no pixel peeper.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, lct said:

Better try the lenses in person before deciding.

Of course! I'm just saying it now according to what I know so far. But I can easily change my opinion once I'll try in person. Considering that I never saw, touch and test any Leica Cameras or lenses except what I have, I'm dying to test out and discovering things I don't know. Once I'll have chance to travel and incomes will be back, I will visit some authorized Leica store abroad. You guys created a monster 😂 ... 🙏