Lollo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Leica friends,

I wanted to bring to your attentions some issues I’m having with the Leica SL2.. 

I have bought this camera mainly for Video shooting as I use M10P and M6 for photos. 
I loved using my M lenses on the SL system and when the SL2 was finally announced I thought it was time to get one. I tested every shooting mode and I have to say that the camera has received some big improvements compared to the previous 601. The Ibis is very accurate and in HLG mode the dinamic range is quite impressive. Didn’t like the LLog though, very noisy and difficult to handle. And the internal 4K 60fps is just useless for aliasing and moire (you must use an external recorder if you want to get a decent file, when the Panasonic S1H is very clean in the same mode).
I also use for my work Alexa Mini LF and smaller bodies such as the Z-Cam F6, this last camera has a nice M mount with positive lock which enables me to use all my Leica M lenses. 
So why I got a SL2? The main reason is to be able to carry it everywhere, in a small backpack with a couple of lenses, other than on set for work. Now, the files produced by this camera should be H265(?).. but the files won’t play in my machines. The finder doesn’t show any preview, QuickTime doesn’t read them. VLC plays only the first 3 frames (18cores IMac Pro).. imagine you shoot 300 clips and you need to conform them every time to Prores in order to just see what you have shot. I remember I bought my SL2 in Shanghai the day it came out and after 2 days shooting around I just switched to my small Zcam as I had to open at every import FCPX or Premiere and create a project just to watch my daily footage and after delete it.
So my question: having a playable file out of camera (internal recording) is Asking too much? 
Another big limitation is the focus magnifier that doesn’t work while recording. With an Atomos Ninja V the resolution helps but as I said.. why I can’t enjoy this camera as it is? 
I’ve also got multiples hot pixels, partially removed by the internal NR.. but still present.

Last, a few times I’ve used an L mount lens... the camera can’t handle video recording for more than 10 min with a fully charged battery. 

I won’t give up with this camera as I strongly believe a new firmware will fix these problems.

what do you guys think? 

Edited by Lollo

15 hours ago, Lollo said:

The Ibis is very accurate and in HLG mode the dinamic range is quite impressive. Didn’t like the LLog though, very noisy and difficult to handle. And the internal 4K 60fps is just useless for aliasing and moire (you must use an external recorder if you want to get a decent file, when the Panasonic S1H is very clean in the same mode).
Maybe it is me, but I was getting better skintones out of L-LOG

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

this HLG

Now, the files produced by this camera should be H265(?).. but the files won’t play in my machines. 

Where did you find the H.265 option, all my videos seam to be H.264 in Mov and MP4. I use Kyno to manage all videos on my Mac.

So my question: having a playable file out of camera (internal recording) is Asking too much? 
Another big limitation is the focus magnifier that doesn’t work while recording. With an Atomos Ninja V the resolution helps but as I said.. why I can’t enjoy this camera as it is? 

totally agree
I’ve also got multiples hot pixels, partially removed by the internal NR.. but still present.

Last, a few times I’ve used an L mount lens... the camera can’t handle video recording for more than 10 min with a fully charged battery. 
Yes power management need a fix.

I won’t give up with this camera as I strongly believe a new firmware will fix these problems.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...