Leica T/CL / Q or X-T3 / X100F

Rokkor

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone,

I am thinking about upgrading from a Fuji X-T1 that I use with 27mm 2.8, 35 mm 1.4 and sometimes the 18-55mm zoom. 

I am trying to find the right camera now as I am sometimes only using the iPhone.

obviously X-T3 or X100F might be obvious choices. But which Leica would be on a budget but still be on par or better than Fuji?

Leica Q: looked at the Q2. Seems a very nice camera. Like the full frame and the lens. Might be an option getting a used Q1.

Leica TL2: nice camera - just no viewfinder. And with a lens this might end up the same as a used Leica Q pricewise.

Leica CL: this seems great and I found a used one with the Leica 18mm kit. Just I am not sure if 18mm would be a good universal lens. 

D-Lux2: did not like the haptics and how to operate it. Would prefer Fujifilm in terms of quality.

Leica X: I guess that is a bit outdated.

would there be an option to fit my Minolta MD Rokkor lenses to a CL or TL2? 

thank you for your comments. Hope I posted this in the right category.

Patrick -

Before we can give you any intelligent advise we need to know a few things about your situation:

Most importantly, what is your budget? 

Would you be happy with a camera that does not have interchangeable lenses?  If so, would you be happy if it had a fixed focal length?

What types of subjects and situations do you like to photograph?

Hi Stuny,

thanks for looking into my question.

the budget depends a bit. First I thought about just upgrading from the x-t1 to the x-t3 but now it first is about what makes sense. Let‘s say we take 2500 $ as the limit, which the Q currently costs second hand.

I do most of my photography while travelling. I like taking photographs in cities. Some street photography, people, some architecture but not too much, a bit of landscape but not that often. No sports, animals etc. Although I did some really nice shots with a MD 135mm at a safari.

My thoughts are a bit around what really makes sense also in comparison to the iPhone 11 or in combination. This is why I think smaller and just one lens might make sense. The whole equipment I only take during holidays.

i tried recently to stick with the 27mm Kontur x-T1 and this focal length seems quite ok. I am just missing the bit the bokeh a bit. So I realise that I could probably live with a fixed length and use the iPhone for wide angle if needed. For the X100F I wonder how versatile 23mm would be and if f2.0 is open enough for a good bokeh. For a CL with 18mm I guess that is too wide angle. The Q might be good but there is the price tag and also the size.

Hope that helps a bit describing my style of photography.

thanks and kind regards

Patrick

Edited by Rokkor
Added something

Actually, since the CL uses a smaller sensor (APS-C sensor size) than the full frame sensor in the Q, the 18MM, with a crop factor of 1.5 would give you the same angle of view as a 27MM lens on a full frame sensor - So the view would be nearly identical to the Q, and not really wider. The CL with the 18M package is smaller than the Q.  In April Leica dropped the price of the CL with the 18MM lens from about $4500 to about $3,000.  This might be in advance of a version 2 of the CL.  It's a very good camera, and leaves you the option of adding other lenses in the future should you decide to do so.  On the down side, due to the sensor size, the Q will be better at bokeh.

I have no idea what impact the Leica price drop has had on the used CL prices, but even new, the CL with 18MM lens goes beyond your budget by 20%, but the used Q seems to be in the same ballpark as the new CL.

For decades I traveled with zooms and two bodies, and more recently two cameras with permanently affixed lenses - both zooms.  2 1/2 years ago my wife gave me a Q as a gift, and now it's my carry everywhere camera.  For travel I carry the Q and the Leica Vlux114 which has a 25-400 zoom.  For walking in local wildlife areas I'll carry either the Vlux.

Because of relative size and weight (we travel carry-on luggage only) if I wanted an interchangeable lens camera it would be the CL with one or two zooms plus the Q.

I hope that's enough data to help you with your decision.

Thanks a lot. 🙂 That is very interesting and also to learn how your approach looks like.

Also the price drop of the CL makes sense than. I was not aware a new CL2 is around the corner. I found a second hand offer for a CL with the 18mm for 2200$ and a Q for 2550$. I know that this is over my planned budget but still worth considering.

for the bokeh, yes that is true with the bokeh. You can even see it Here. my understanding was that with the Q you still have physical 28mm so you can still crop and have a different view. Especially that faces fo not get distorted by the wide angle. However , the iPhone is also a 28mm equivalent in full frame and is kind of fine. Then the Fuji X100F with the 23mm on a crop lens is a bit less wide and maybe more versatile. The bokeh with f2.0 is also a bit better. 

rhanks again for your help. I guess I will take a look at the CL. I would not mind if the camera is smaller as I would take it more often. Also I read that I could even use manual Rokkor MD lenses. They are superb in optical quality. Just no autofocus.

in the end pictures should look noticeably different from the iPhone. Therefore bokeh might be a differentiator here.

have a nice weekend!

Good luck.  let us know what happens, and if you end up with a Leica, post photos here.

One more thing, which you mentioned and I forgot to mention:  The full frame sensor or the Q makes it possible to do crop quite a bit.

Have a nice weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have had the CL for about 2 years, just a really versatile camera. Right now my 2 most used lenses are the 23 and a 105 micro Nikkor. I can see the 18 as being useful, I have adapted my 11-16 f2.8 Tokina, so I have wide. The wide Leica 11-23 is my next purchase. Also with the CL, T series and the Q, Leica makes some of the best RAW files around. An enjoyable camera. I was doing some event photography a year ago. I was talking with another photographer with an X100(not sure of the model) we switched cameras for a couple of shots, I thought the Fuji seemed cheap she loved the CL with the 23 Summicron. 

Am 31.5.2020 um 16:13 schrieb tommonego@gmail.com:

I have had the CL for about 2 years, just a really versatile camera. Right now my 2 most used lenses are the 23 and a 105 micro Nikkor. I can see the 18 as being useful, I have adapted my 11-16 f2.8 Tokina, so I have wide. The wide Leica 11-23 is my next purchase. Also with the CL, T series and the Q, Leica makes some of the best RAW files around. An enjoyable camera. I was doing some event photography a year ago. I was talking with another photographer with an X100(not sure of the model) we switched cameras for a couple of shots, I thought the Fuji seemed cheap she loved the CL with the 23 Summicron. 

Thank you for sharing and sounds like a very good camera, too. With adapted lenses that are fast, this might seem to make sense. With the original Leica glass the CL seemed steep compared to the Q and still on the crop side, that it has in common with the premium Fujis xT4 and xPro3.

In the end I decided to go for the Q. Found a great as new second hand deal and think it is a great package with the Summilux 28mm/f1.7 and full frame sensor. Great colors, perfect exposure and very nice DOF and Bokeh. And that in a reasonably small package which is very good to hold with the grip that was included as well. I am happy with the decision.😃And will get creative with the 28mm.