Help choosing a 35mm lens for my M10-P

nuc001

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Firstly, thank you all again for your kind suggestions. I went to test out some the Voigtlander 35/1.4 but as I thought, the bokeh rendering is too sharp for my liking... rather busy bokeh. Stopped down it is really sharp though. I could not find any Zeiss lenses to try out though, and they seem to be out of stock everywhere. And after reviewing my finances during this COVID-19 situation, I thought I should not spend so much on a stop-gap lens so decided not to by the Summicron as well.

On 5/23/2020 at 2:12 AM, Dennis said:

Actually was perfect. Your contribute to my general understanding was awesome. I think I'm starting to understand. Unlike DSLR for example, where due to the AF, if you want to use the same brand, if you a very limited options. With Leica M, you have many many options, different signature styles. And being a minimalist guy, I would love to find the ONE, the 35mm that fits all my needs. For example I like best the Leica lens hoods rather than other brands, and the aesthetics are much better in Leica than the Zeiss or Voigt, IMHO. I use a very few f/stops values (and never in between), so I don't need 1/3 stop aperture clicks. I like the focus tab of the 35 Cron and Lux, but not the focus nub of the Zeiss.

I guess it's complicated to have only one lens that matches all my requirements. I will keep reading, until I'll have time to try out some lenses and make my final choice. Meanwhile, I use my 2.8/35 Zeiss 🙂

By the way, @nuc001 (the OP), what's your decision so far? 🤔

I did however, went to test out the TTArtisans 35/1.4 and bought a copy, mainly to satisfy my own curiosity about this lens. The bokeh rendering is creamier than the Voigtlander, but it does tend to swirl a lot. The test copy at the shop seemed sharp wide open as well. Of course the 50mm Summilux bested it hands down for sharpness, but if you don't pixel peep, it seems adequate. However, I have found out that my copy, after shooting for 1.5hrs yesterday evening, seems to have a front-focusing issue. The pictures I took of the subject straight on via focusing in the OVF seemed sharp, but after coincidentally taking a picture of a store front with many criss-crossing lines at a 45 degree angle, I found that it was indeed front focusing. The focusing ring also does not turn all the way to infinity (although I have not tested the performance yet). They have a distributor with a 1 year warranty here so I've contacted them and they will calibrate it for me tomorrow.  Hopefully the results will be more satisfactory after that.

For an outing or serious day of shooting, I think it's best to take my M10-P with 50mm Summilux for portraits and my Q2 for landscapes & architecture shots. The 35mm will just be my "lazy" lens when I want an M experience at a more versatile focal length and can't be bothered to carry 2 cameras.  

P.S. I rarely sell my lenses so the price point for this lens I can justify it as a total loss for just a bit of fun 😝 and can upgrade to the 35mm Summilux FLE sometime next year, hopefully.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

You can easily calibrate the TT 35/1.4 to your own rangefinder using the provided instructions and tool. Unscrew two screws on the rear of the lens and rotate a ring, then tighten the screws and test. Takes 10 minutes total and you can ensure it is optimized for your specific camera.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 3:57 PM, Cobram said:

In case you are still interested in 35 lens I finally decided to sell my Distagon (see forum Classifieds department). 

Thinking of getting a 21mm lens so I'm open to exchange.

Thanks but I've decided to get used to the focal length with the TTArtisan for now. Plus shipping & tax to Thailand would add substantially to the price I reckon. Thanks again though.

On 6/14/2020 at 7:17 PM, onasj said:

You can easily calibrate the TT 35/1.4 to your own rangefinder using the provided instructions and tool. Unscrew two screws on the rear of the lens and rotate a ring, then tighten the screws and test. Takes 10 minutes total and you can ensure it is optimized for your specific camera.

Mine did not come with the instructions pamphlet and the official distributor here says it doesn't come with one for some reason. Although they do give 1 year warranty so I got their technician to calibrate mine for free. Focus is bang on now and the amount of detail from this lens once calibrated is quite surprising tbh. 

On 5/20/2020 at 7:25 PM, Franky said:

Hi,

The ZEISS Distagon T* 35mm f/1.4 ZM is a very, very good lens, but slightly larger and heavier than a summilux.

the price at B&H is about $2300

Frerk from Nuuk

I would totally agree. I bought a secondhand version of this lens and am absolutely delighted with it.

https://photographybytomlane.com