Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear forum members. I have found myself in a bit of a conundrum. I bought a Q2 this Jan as my first Leica, and now I also have I a Leica M10-P and a Summilux-M 50mm ASPH as my first rangefinder. LGAS be damned. However, I am finding that the field of view is a bit restricted to what I’m used to, so I am looking for 35mm lenses. Cannot afford a Summilux 35mm right now so looking for some alternatives. 

The choices I have in mind, in order of price in my country, Thailand, is:

1. TTArtisans 35mm F1.4 ~$500 new

2. Voigtländer 35mm F1.4 ~$600 new

3. Summicron 40mm F2 ~$900 2nd hand

4. Summicron 35mm F2 ASPH ~$2,200+ 2nd hand

There are numerous reviews on the Voigtländer, but I’ve heard that it’s a bit soft, and the bokeh is on the busy side. TTArtisans seems very decent for the price. Cannot find many reviews for both Summicron lenses though however. 

Very new to the Leica ecosystem so any help would be much appreciated. 

Thanks. 

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I haven't used any TT Charlatan lenses so can't comment. However, the new Voigtländer 2/35 (ASPH) is right up there with the Leica 35/2 ASPH at 1/3 the cost. Urge you to check it out.  

You don't need the extra stop for your M10. Get a small lens. 35 Summicron Asph unless you prefer the imaging of the Voigt 35 1.4. Pete

Summicron 35 ASPH would be very solid choice. Nokton 35 1.4 II is best economy choice. I don't think its bokeh is any different from Leica at F2. It is funky mostly wide open. Tartisans is just too big lens, IMO. 40mm doesn't have matching framelines and old optics lens.

Posted Images

Nuc001,

Short answer number "4".

Choosing 35mm Summicron-M asph. lens may be the best combo (from the four choices) with your now one of the best Leica 50mm lens.

If your choice is another one in your list, you may find yourself thinking of this very nice Leica 35mm untill you have it.

You don't need reviews for this lens, just buy it then use it, you would see by yourself.

Edited by a.noctilux

You did not mention it but the CV Ultron 35/2 will match well your Summilux 50/1.4 asph if you like small sharp lenses and can stand its focus stick. I prefer the Summicron 35/2 asph for its smoother bokeh at f/2 though but it is a subjective matter. The Summicron 40/2 is a very good lens but it cannot compete with the formers as far as acutance is concerned and you may find that the 40mm focal length matches well the frame lines of your M10... or not at all. I cannot recommend the CV Nokton 35/1.4 v1 because of focus shift but the current v2 doesn't seem to suffer from this problem. I have no experience with it though. Do a search on the forum you will find interesting reviews about it. Happy snaps :).

Hey Nuc, 

I think many leica shooter have had the same question. When i purcahsed my Leica m10-p, the old owner told me how great the new voigtlander was, he said "sharper, more confrotable and better contrast" has he is a leica veteran, been shooting leica for over 30 years professionaly and he said that. 

I went to the store and tried this infamous voigtlander 35mm, when i put it on it was sharp, it was contrasty, it was fine. it's a lens that i could have mounted on my camera it would have been fine. But would i want to carry it with me every day, use it every day. NO. the form factor alone put me off and i thought the Leica Summicron asph would still be better.

I went to the Leica store and tried the 35mm 'Cron asph, and i bought mine the same day. It has been on my camera a perfect companion and i know that i will never sell it. It's a great compact, practical lens, that looks great on the M10! It's sharp and contrasty and is built like a tank!

I have heard great things about the Zeis, but you have to like the style.

TT artisans, the only lens i will buy from them is the 50mm 0.95 just because the Noctilux is way out of budget and it can be fun to ahve such depth of field, but as a main lens i wouldn't go with such a cheap option.

If i were i would get the best you can get, the cron and then see if in the future you need the 1.4 :)

I don't own any of your 35mm options hahaha, but I would say Go for the Summicron. You have already an amazing 50 and incredible camera, you'll not regret it. If you are looking for a super fast lens, such a 1.4, get the cheaper of your list, and get the 35 FLE when it will be time for you to invest.

The 35 Cron is the next in my wishlist. I got a 2nd hand 50 Summicron a few months ago and I'm 100% happy. Because the size, the weight, and don't need super fast lens, I would love to have just Cron lenses. 🙌

Best image quality, maybe even over the 35FLE - > Zeiss 35mm 1.4 ZM

• Everything you would want in an 35mm M lens except for size. It is larger than your 50lux, but it's really superb. I had a hard time choosing between it and the 35FLE on the basis of image quality (I ultimately chose the 35FLE because of size).

Compact lens recommendations -> 35mm f2 Voigtlander Asph (35 f2 CV), Zeiss 35mm f2 ZM (Biogon)

• I would go for the 35mm f2 CV. The biggest gripe people have with it is the focus stick as opposed to a focus tab, not really about image quality.
  • The Zeiss 35mm f2 Biogon is a nice lens and proven performer. It has a focus nub instead of tab (same with the 35mm 1.4 ZM IIRC). Not an issue for me because I treat the tab/nub like a reference point, but like the focus stick of the Voigtlander, it's personal preference. It is an older M mount lens compared to the 35mm f2 CV, if that matters.
  • These lenses are small enough to be kept along side the 35FLE if you want something lighter/more compact (especially the 35mm f2 CV).

Not tried the new 35mm 1.4 Voigtlander II, but it is supposedly improved over the v1 which I wasn't a fan of. Definitely worth considering if you wish for a compact lens with a bit more speed. I excluded the pre-Asph 35mm/40mms as they offer quite a different look from the 35 Summicron and 35FLE which are the lenses I felt you were your benchmark. I also excluded TT Artisans because I have no experience with it. 

I don't recommend the 35 Summicron ASPH partly because of how good the competition is and also because this is a stop-gap/temporary solution. Every other option aside from the 35mm 1.4 ZM is less than half of the price, the lens doesn't necessarily carry a performance advantage and neither does it carry a size advantage (the hood in the Cron v2 makes it larger, though you can shoot it hoodless). You'd go for it if it has the "look" or rendering you prefer. If it was a long term 35mm solution then it would be different. 

Firstly, Thank you for all the kind, helpful and insightful replies. It seems that I may need to take the time to look at even more sample pics before I make my decision. 

18 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Nuc001,

Short answer number "4".

Choosing 35mm Summicron-M asph. lens may be the best combo (from the four choices) with your now one of the best Leica 50mm lens.

If your choice is another one in your list, you may find yourself thinking of this very nice Leica 35mm untill you have it.

You don't need reviews for this lens, just buy it then use it, you would see by yourself.

THIS was exactly how I ended up with an M10-P......Started looking for an M9 but it just escalated from there 🤪

18 hours ago, lct said:

You did not mention it but the CV Ultron 35/2 will match well your Summilux 50/1.4 asph if you like small sharp lenses and can stand its focus stick. I prefer the Summicron 35/2 asph for its smoother bokeh at f/2 though but it is a subjective matter. The Summicron 40/2 is a very good lens but it cannot compete with the formers as far as acutance is concerned and you may find that the 40mm focal length matches well the frame lines of your M10... or not at all. I cannot recommend the CV Nokton 35/1.4 v1 because of focus shift but the current v2 doesn't seem to suffer from this problem. I have no experience with it though. Do a search on the forum you will find interesting reviews about it. Happy snaps :).

Thanks! I will check out the Ultron. But I do love smoother bokeh. 

17 hours ago, jdlaing said:

I have th TT artisans 35mm f/1.4 and it works great. Every bit is good as my Summilux.

I like the look and it's not that much longer than the 35 FLE...I am also personally curious about this lens as well. Maybe it's time to go check it out. 

17 hours ago, james.liam said:

haven't used any TT Charlatan lenses so can't comment.

However, the new Voigtländer 2/35 (ASPH) is right up there with the Leica 35/2 ASPH at 1/3 the cost. Urge you to check it out.

•  

Thanks! I've just checked and it's roughly half price of a used Summicron for a new one here. 

17 hours ago, Dennis said:

I don't own any of your 35mm options hahaha, but I would say Go for the Summicron. You have already an amazing 50 and incredible camera, you'll not regret it. If you are looking for a super fast lens, such a 1.4, get the cheaper of your list, and get the 35 FLE when it will be time for you to invest.

The 35 Cron is the next in my wishlist. I got a 2nd hand 50 Summicron a few months ago and I'm 100% happy. Because the size, the weight, and don't need super fast lens, I would love to have just Cron lenses. 🙌

I normally only have time to shoot after work so mostly in low light, that is why I try to get F1.4 lenses. Plus I do love the shallow DOF.   

15 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Summicron 35 ASPH would be very solid choice. Nokton 35 1.4 II is best economy choice. I don't think its bokeh is any different from Leica at F2. It is funky mostly wide open.

Tartisans is just too big lens, IMO.

40mm doesn't have matching framelines and old optics lens.

Yes the Nokton does seem to have funky bokeh wide open, and that is my main concern....got dizzy looking at images from this lens once lol. It is very nice and compact though. 

9 hours ago, chasdfg said:

Best image quality, maybe even over the 35FLE - > Zeiss 35mm 1.4 ZM

• Everything you would want in an 35mm M lens except for size. It is larger than your 50lux, but it's really superb. I had a hard time choosing between it and the 35FLE on the basis of image quality (I ultimately chose the 35FLE because of size).

Compact lens recommendations -> 35mm f2 Voigtlander Asph (35 f2 CV), Zeiss 35mm f2 ZM (Biogon)

• I would go for the 35mm f2 CV. The biggest gripe people have with it is the focus stick as opposed to a focus tab, not really about image quality.
  • The Zeiss 35mm f2 Biogon is a nice lens and proven performer. It has a focus nub instead of tab (same with the 35mm 1.4 ZM IIRC). Not an issue for me because I treat the tab/nub like a reference point, but like the focus stick of the Voigtlander, it's personal preference. It is an older M mount lens compared to the 35mm f2 CV, if that matters.
  • These lenses are small enough to be kept along side the 35FLE if you want something lighter/more compact (especially the 35mm f2 CV).

Not tried the new 35mm 1.4 Voigtlander II, but it is supposedly improved over the v1 which I wasn't a fan of. Definitely worth considering if you wish for a compact lens with a bit more speed. I excluded the pre-Asph 35mm/40mms as they offer quite a different look from the 35 Summicron and 35FLE which are the lenses I felt you were your benchmark. I also excluded TT Artisans because I have no experience with it. 

I don't recommend the 35 Summicron ASPH partly because of how good the competition is and also because this is a stop-gap/temporary solution. Every other option aside from the 35mm 1.4 ZM is less than half of the price, the lens doesn't necessarily carry a performance advantage and neither does it carry a size advantage (the hood in the Cron v2 makes it larger, though you can shoot it hoodless). You'd go for it if it has the "look" or rendering you prefer. If it was a long term 35mm solution then it would be different. 

35FLE is the end goal for me so yes, this is a stop-gap/temporary solution as you said. Would take another year or so until I can afford the 35FLE though I think. Zeiss is also around 2 times the price of a similar CV here, and not that far off a used Summicron ASPH for some reason.... 

19 hours ago, ERA23 said:

Hey Nuc, 

I think many leica shooter have had the same question. When i purcahsed my Leica m10-p, the old owner told me how great the new voigtlander was, he said "sharper, more confrotable and better contrast" has he is a leica veteran, been shooting leica for over 30 years professionaly and he said that. 

I went to the store and tried this infamous voigtlander 35mm, when i put it on it was sharp, it was contrasty, it was fine. it's a lens that i could have mounted on my camera it would have been fine. But would i want to carry it with me every day, use it every day. NO. the form factor alone put me off and i thought the Leica Summicron asph would still be better.

I went to the Leica store and tried the 35mm 'Cron asph, and i bought mine the same day. It has been on my camera a perfect companion and i know that i will never sell it. It's a great compact, practical lens, that looks great on the M10! It's sharp and contrasty and is built like a tank!

I have heard great things about the Zeis, but you have to like the style.

TT artisans, the only lens i will buy from them is the 50mm 0.95 just because the Noctilux is way out of budget and it can be fun to ahve such depth of field, but as a main lens i wouldn't go with such a cheap option.

If i were i would get the best you can get, the cron and then see if in the future you need the 1.4 :)

Thanks! I do like the form factor of the Voigtlander but the pictures I've seen do look rather funky. I've heard great things about Zeiss but the blue dot always gives me a weird feeling for some strange reason. I do agree that as a main lens I'm not sure how the TTArtisans will perform. I think I'll just have to go and test out all of your suggestions before I make a decision. 

8 hours ago, mediumformula said:

My advice would be to stick with the 50mm Summilux and get used to the focal length.  It's all a matter of perspective. 

Yes I also think I should give it more time. But, I seem to have decaputated more people than I'd prefer these past few days and have found myself in some situations with by back to the wall to get adequate framing. 

I'm a lens collector who owns at least ten 35mm lenses for the M.  There are many excellent choices. There are also the antique Nikkors made for Leica thread mount. They made an F3.5, F2.5, and an F1.8. The F1.8 is really superb and compares favorably with similar lenses by Leica. I also have the Zeiss 35mm F1.4  and it is the sharpest 35 lens ever, probably better than my Summicron F2 ASPH. It's just that it's heavy and unwieldy. The Voigtlander and 7Artisans get mixed reviews and I'd stay away from them. Best value for the money is probably the Zeiss F2 Biogon, pretty much identical to the Leica F2 but a third the price, unless you want to go for an antique Nikkor.  But if you disregard price, the 35mm Summicron ASPH is my favorite because it has superior sharpness plus small size. If you're interested in "character" then there's another whole universe of lenses to consider, but for accuracy it would be either the Summicrons or Zeiss lenses. 

Edited by Twasi
another thought