wilfredo

Preferred Cloud Storage

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I finally got around to up-louding my photographs to the I-Cloud using APPLE.  I've been using external hard-drives as back-ups.  Thus far I'm finding uploading to the Apple I-cloud not a very pleasant experience, and I can't access the files from Adobe Bridge once they are in the cloud.  I'm wondering if Google has something better to offer, and perhaps faster?  Any thoughts and recommendations?

Thanks,

Wilfredo+

What are your thoughts on Adobe's Cloud?  I plan on getting an iPad and will face the same issues you are looking into.

My fixed points (inflexible preferences) are Lightroom, local storage, mobile and shared access. A Mac, iPhone, iPad, Adobe subscription, large SSD, Time Machine backup to NAS and 500 mb/s Internet work together very comfortably.

I use Lightroom CC with all my images in the Adobe cloud, with 2Tb storage, just over half of which I use. I still use Lightroom Classic for printing.

Using Lightroom CC has major limitations (no printing, no batch rename, no Book module some missing tools etc) but some major benefits (easy distribution of large batches of images to clients, good search facilities).

It is not ideal, but it's my current preferred solution.

Exodies, how do you move the files from your Mac to your iPhone and iPad?  Do you use the Adobe cloud in your Adobe subscription or do you use an Apple cloud?

My inflexible preferences are Bridge/Camera Raw/Photoshop, local storage on three RAIDs, a separate backup drive, and Time Machine backup of essential files on an AirPort Time Capsule.  I have no desire to use the Apple cloud.  I have far too many files to use a cloud for all the files, but I need a cloud to move files between local and mobile devices.

9 hours ago, zeitz said:

Exodies, how do you move the files from your Mac to your iPhone and iPad?  Do you use the Adobe cloud in your Adobe subscription or do you use an Apple cloud?

<snip>

I upload from the SD card to either the iPad or the Mac using the USBc card reader from Apple. Lightroom on the Mac is configured to duplicate to local storage any pictures in Lightroom mobile. I create a synchronised collection on Mac for any pictures I want to share which I first uploaded to Mac. So, all pictures are on the Mac, some pictures are also in Adobe’s cloud.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Nothing better for me than DropBox. 3Tb storage, my two computers and my mobile is sync to it. Every time I create a new folder, I change a name to a picture or whatever changes you are doing, everything is sync. You can share links (password protected or not) have comments on line, see who watch and download your files when shared. My Capture One Catalogs are synced

Besides a couple of external HD where I have everything, plus a Time Machine on the iMac, DropBox is the man!

Is it really sensible to let someone you don’t know, some in the world but you don’t know where, look after your photos ?

The “cloud” doesn’t really exist, it’s just another server that someone can switch off without asking you first.

Obviously you guys have learned to live in Apple's bizarre world where Mac and mobile have different operating systems with some capabilities that, by definition, cannot overlap.  (No touch screen for a MacBook is an example.)  I think the root cause of my waffling on the purchase of an iPad is the dissimilarity between MacOS and iOS, specifically the lack of a real Finder in iOS.  I carry a grudge against Microsoft based on Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 that prevents me from going to a Surface Pro.  But I respect Microsoft for their decision to have only one operating system.  (My first cell phone was a Nokia Windows phone which I still consider to be the best phone I ever owned.)  I will buy an iPad Pro next week and try both Adobe's Creative Cloud cloud and DropBox for transfer and sync.

File storage on a cloud doesn't fit my needs, so I can live with the downside of clouds.  I doubt Adobe's cloud will be switched off anytime soon after all the effort they put into basing their full suite of graphics software on the Adobe Creative Cloud cloud.  But file transfer/sync is my only interest.  If Adobe went away, I'd have more problems to worry about.

The cause of the difference between Mac OS and iOS is a desire to avoid the hackability of desktop OSs and to make the user experience as good as possible. I don’t see it as a stick to beat Apple with. In the words of Charles Babbage:

Propose to an Englishman any principle, or any instrument, however admirable, and you will observe that the whole effort of the English mind is directed to find a difficulty, a defect, or an impossibility in it. If you speak to him of a machine for peeling a potato, he will pronounce it impossible: if you peel a potato with it before his eyes, he will declare it useless, because it will not slice a pineapple.

As for longevity of clouds - I don’t rely on it. All my cloud storage is replicated and backed up locally and automatically and painlessly.

3 hours ago, zeitz said:

I will buy an iPad Pro next week and try both Adobe's Creative Cloud cloud and DropBox for transfer and sync.

I switched a few month ago from LR to Capture One. I have an iMac for work, an Nokia 7.1 phone, and iPad for streaming and bed time. The three different operative systems are perfectly synced with DropBox. It's super Pro e reliable.

2 hours ago, Exodies said:

As for longevity of clouds - I don’t rely on it. All my cloud storage is replicated and backed up locally and automatically and painlessly.

+1

That's why everything is synced to my DropBox, for easy access between devices and double back up. But I have two clone external HD with everything on.

Exodies, I agree with you that the MacOS user experience is better that Microsoft, at least at the last time I used Windows on a PC which was seven years ago.  But I don't agree that iOS for iPhone is a better user experience than a Windows phone was.  The great user experience of MacOS is why I pick my computer from the thin selection of computers that Apple offers.  I would prefer a Dell Precision Workstation for hardware if I could run MacOS without hacking it.  But what does the availability of touch screens for Macs have to do with hackability?  Why would a real Finder app for iPad make the user experience bad?  I do see all of this as a stick to beat Apple with when Tim Cook tells me I don't need a touch screen on my Mac or that an iPad is really all that anyone needs.  He said both of these things.  It is not for Tim Cook to decide these thing for me.  I am surprised Sidecar got his approval.

A finder app would turn things inside out. It’s part of the mechanics that you want to do something with object X. It’s part of the goal orientated process that you want to do Y to something.
Selecting X is the job of a finder, then you have to select the app - how? Are they on your home screen? But you are in the finder app.

Selecting Y is tapping the app on the home screen, then you select the object from a list composed and presented in a way suitable to the object type.

Also:

You have many more Xs than Ys (files than apps) so it is more efficient to select an X and a Y by choosing the Y first.

I have an iPad connected to a keyboard so it’s like a touch screen desktop computer and I find it very uncomfortable to use. Lifting the arm up to touch the screen is quickly tedious.

I have a Surface Book 2, a touch screen laptop and tablet combined. I find the options of keyboard, touchpad, and touchscreen with finger or stylus logical and intuitive. I occasionally need to do something on my wife's MacBook Air, and the absence of a touchscreen seems primitive to me - and immensely frustrating.

It's what we're used to and how our brain is wired that determines whether we favour MacOS or Windows.