DMR internal battery replacement?

bcorton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does anyone know: Is it still possible to have the internal battery on the DMR replaced?  Mine stopped keeping the time/date, and the regular battery level indicator has disappeared from my display.  I assume the internal battery is to blame for both, but really have no idea.  Both problems just showed up simultaneously.  Yes, I have cleaned all the contacts.

Alternatively, when Leica said they would no longer service the DMR did they mean that they would not even replace the internal battery?

Brent

I recognize the problem. It arose after a long standstill. It recovered after a few days with freshly charged batteries. The internal battery is powered by the external one, but you might have thought that yourself. Those batteries are no longer fresh. I still get a 2GB card full with a freshly charged battery. There will come a time when these beautiful devices, like ourselves, can no longer be brought to life.

Jim,

Thanks for the response.  I've recently had my batteries refurbished by Michael Bass, so they are both operating at like-new capacity.  I'll top one off and see if that fixes the issue.  Thanks again.

Brent

• 1 year later...

The topic was a tad bit hijacked with a discussion of the replaceable battery not the small button battery replacement.  Has anyone, besides me, opened up the back and looked over the 6.8 x 1.4 (or1.2) mm soldered on battery?  It is a Varna 2 pin battery with a model number that ends in 4.  Usually the number would be something like 714 where the first number is the diameter in mm, the second the height also in mm.  The solder tab on the top of the battery in mine is blocking the full number and the preceding letter or letters.  Letters tell which chemistry is used.  Perhaps someone else on the site has opened their DMR up to check out the potential for repair and can fill in the blanks on the full number.  I suspect that the internal battery is an alkaline type that dies after a few years.  Just like your computer that looses a bit of function or won't turn on when it dies.  One can hope that the battery will solve a few dead DMRs out there.

Brooks

• 4 months later...

Hello, I am also interested in this topic. I suspect the error code 2 that I receive is to do with the internal battery as the date and time always resets after the main battery is removed. I am mechanically capable and decent with a soldering iron so would be willing to tackle this job if I knew which battery to purchase before opening the back up. Thanks, Greg

Edited by gregdear007

I’m not sure the internal battery is causing the error code as the one in mine stopped working a couple of years ago and I’ve never had any error messages so it may not be related to the battery, well at least on mine anyway. It could be worth emailing Leica Service as although they can’t repair DMRs anymore they should still have all the technical info and may even be able to provide you with a list of the error code causes/meanings.  If you do attempt a repair/replacement and it works then please let us know because it’s a pain having to reset the clock. 

Edited by Bobitybob

• 6 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know this is an old topic but I am wondering if I were to store my m8.2 for a year, from my understanding.. Leica recommends removing main battery and keeping state of charge at 40-50%. 

Now I know the internal battery dies within 3 months and is recharged by the main battery. 

My question is if the internal battery is completely depleted for over 6 months - 1 year, will this deteriorate the battery to the point where it will no longer hold charge?

Is it better to leave the battery in the camera for long term storage and sacrifice a main battery?

I don't have right answer, only what I have done.

My M8 and my wife's one have less use these days.

I just let one battery 14464 in each.

Sometimes, after months of non use, the battery inside can take some images.

Other times, the battery even don't show the charge at the top LCD.

M8 clock was out of order, then with charged battery the clock works again.

Anyway in each case after some months I do the complete recharging.

These old batteries (original 14464 Leica ) last more than conservative Leica's four years usefull life...

still 'working' one was made in 2006, I reclyded many though.

read here for M8 batteries

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

I don't have right answer, only what I have done.

My M8 and my wife's one have less use these days.

I just let one battery 14464 in each.

Sometimes, after months of non use, the battery inside can take some images.

Other times, the battery even don't show the charge at the top LCD.

M8 clock was out of order, then with charged battery the clock works again.

Anyway in each case after some months I do the complete recharging.

These old batteries (original 14464 Leica ) last more than conservative Leica's four years usefull life...

still 'working' one was made in 2006, I reclyded many though.

read here for M8 batteries

Thanks, I also consider leaving the main battery (14464) in the camera to prevent the internal coin battery from depleting completely for long periods of time because I fear that if the battery (internal) is depleted for over 6 months +, it will never hold charge again even when trying to recharge.

Replacing (re-purchasing) the main battery 14464 (if it ever dies) is easier and less costly than sending the camera in to Leica to replace the internal coin battery I believe.

Edited by 69xchange