Schittra

EVF - how do you like it?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After using EVF on M10 for a few week, I start to like it. Just don't like how clumsy to remove thumbs-up and replace with EVF. But it did help me a lot for 90/2 and Noctilux. However, I found my rangefinder focusing is much faster than EVF. Maybe it's from my habit. 

I wonder if anyone here use EVF more often? Any tips or key watch out? Thank you.

What I am concerned I would not like to use an EVF on the M10. In situations where the M10 does not suit any more I use my Q2 (for fast AF) and if that is not sufficient either then comes the Canon gear. This will cover the whole rest. No problem. My M10 is my slow photography. Nothing professional.

Posted (edited)

I have the 020 Visoflex EVF because it came with my camera. Had it not, I probably would've held off due to cost and the fact that I shoot standard lenses most of the time...

However, boy am I glad I have it! There are 3 use cases I've found...1) shooting "for keeps" ie important/paid work (I'm not a pro photog) 2) using a longer focal length or adapted lens (I have lots of these) and 3) shooting macro. 

Despite the price, and fear of collecting dust... I'd certainly pick one up. Check auctions and also look for the alternatively branded model.

Tips: Bring at least one extra battery and use a strap/bag/holster that will not cause you to bump into the viewfinder

Edited by calijax
Answered the question this time

I find the 020 quite usable, but live view on an M10 is rather clumsy compared with a camera with full time EVF such as an SL or even a base model Sony A7.

But I’ve always (since 1968) used both a Leica M RF and an SLR for used where each type is superior. So for my long R lenses and Macro work I use an A7 as my digital R solution. An SL would be nicer, but on my retirement budget the Sony will do.

But when carrying just an M10 kit the 020 works in place of accessory optical finders. I prefer it for 21mm.

Posted (edited)

I like the EVF because it's considerably smaller than the old mechanical Visoflex III.
But there should be a knurled screw for secure attachment in the accessory shoe, as installed at my flash unit.
I almost lost the EVF when I had to protect the M10-P under my weather jacket.
In addition, the right edge should be chamfered so the exposure times can be read on the time wheel.
Overall, I wish the EVF could be integrated into the rangefinder of the M, so one has no longer to commute between two rangefinders.

Edited by mnutzer

I have the 020 and find it most useful when I want to shoot from a really low angle. It saves me having to lie on the floor to focus (it’s the getting back up that’s the problem). I have also used it with the 0.95 Noctilux. The one problem I find is that it easily falls out of the hot-shoe; wish it had some sort of locking mechanism.

https://photographybytomlane.com

3 hours ago, astrostl said:

I hate it. Find it doofy to use, slow, and ugly, and it forces you into live view for clunky shot speed.

Isn’t the simple solution not to use it? After all, you have a rangefinder camera. 

I use the Visoflex only with 90mm APO, which I’ve had recalibrated by Wetzlar, but still find difficult to focus wide open with a rangefinder.  The lens is fine, my eyes are not.

I use M10-D so no need of a thumb rest 🙂

Posted (edited)

The EVF's on rangefinder cameras aren't designed to be routinely used.

They are entirely useful, in fact necessary, when doing close-up, exacting composition or uncammed lenses fitted to the body eg Nikkor lenses etc.

As Tom mentioned the EVF is very useful for angular focusing subjects close to the ground.

Also very useful for tripod work to check focus comparing the rangefinder and suspect focus lenses. One can pretty well guarantee exact focus on the sensor compared to rangefinder focusing.

It's the only way to look at your composition and its bokeh and focus quality. Because it is the actual captured sensor image.

So lets not hear too much more about how awful the EVF is compared to the RF (again...ho hum).  Both are necessary, for the full range of photography with modern Leica cameras.

Edited by david strachan

Since I own the M10M I like the EVF. Because with this I can see the B&W picture as it will be, see the effect of the filter on the lens, and I can judge the structures and contrasts without the distraction of colors.

My two cent

best regards

Wolfram

Mine has definitely changed and improved my shooting for with 25% of the time that I am not shooting with a 35 or 50mm lens. 

I no longer "miss" a single composition with ultrawides, which was always a problem with external viewfinders, and has made using any lens 75mm or longer much more reliable to nail the focus. It also absolutely helps in portraiture to guarantee I have the eye, not the eyelashes or eyebrow, in perfect focus.

It's not perfect, and I wish it was better weather sealed (it's prone to fogging up) and not made out of a plastic that doesn't give me confidence that it would survive a fall, but I also enjoy the unique 90 degree angle option as well. 

5 hours ago, steve 1959 said:

All the hype about EVF's ,,,what a joke

EVF's are utter crap,only commercial hype creates an illusion of respect.

Laggy crappy EVF trash is best left alone but the hype says otherwise,

marketing rules over common sense in my view.

Thank you - I will immediately throw all the cameras I really like to use in the trash bin.

8 hours ago, steve 1959 said:

marketing rules over common sense in my view.

Your view is blurred.

To continue - there seems to be some misunderstanding about the function of a viewfinder. It is not a device to make pretty pictures - it is a device to frame, and monitor the functions of the camera. In this respect an EVF is clearly the superior technology.
However, there is the question of user experience. An OVF will, in decent light, give a smoother image (although modern EVFs come increasingly close), despite imprecise framelines and minimal camera information. Clearly this can be a superior way of photographing in many situations.
Then we have the EVF It can keep the image clear and detailed in low light (albeit at the expense of smooth panning), it frames precisely, can deploy various focus aids and give extensive information on the camera and shooting parameters. That makes it the viewfinder of choice for many situations and photographer's shooting styles.

There is no reason to declare the one superior over the other at present, and, I fear that as technology progresses, the EVF will eat away the last advantages of the OVF, ie. image viewing aesthetics and smooth panning.