TL/CL system needs way more native lens

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 minutes ago, cj3209 said:

At a certain age, you will appreciate AF, I guarantee you that - lol.

There are options which I appreciate with Leica.  For instance, I bought the M-L adapter and now I can use the very very good M-Summarit 90mm f2.5 lens and the manual focus is very smooth.  Although at night or dim conditions, I really need AF.

Happy Shooting!

Welcome to the forum, cj.

I know what you mean; but I wonder if you have tried the hybrid focusing system for your AF lenses; and you have selected Manual Assist for your manual focus lenses. The latter enlarges the image and/or Focus Peaking with appropriate colour selected, glows in low light for me. I find manual focusing M lenses quicker and easier on the CL than using those same lenses on a rangefinder body. Details are in the Instruction Manual, though often overlooked.

Just now, wda said:

Welcome to the forum, cj.

I know what you mean; but I wonder if you have tried the hybrid focusing system for your AF lenses; and you have selected Manual Assist for your manual focus lenses. The latter enlarges the image and/or Focus Peaking with appropriate colour selected, glows in low light for me. I find manual focusing M lenses quicker and easier on the CL than using those same lenses on a rangefinder body. Details are in the Instruction Manual, though often overlooked.

Hey, there.  Yes, I do use Focus Peaking (reddish) and Focus enlarging for my Summarit 90mm and it does work fairly well for me.  Although at 90mm, my handshaking doesn't help me focus - lol.

22 minutes ago, cj3209 said:

Hey, there.  Yes, I do use Focus Peaking (reddish) and Focus enlarging for my Summarit 90mm and it does work fairly well for me.  Although at 90mm, my handshaking doesn't help me focus - lol.

I know the feeling. The problem eases with wide angle and normal focal length lenses. But for longer focal lengths, I have had to revise my techniques. Minimum shutter speeds have been increased. Higher ISOs are being explored. And, where possible, I am using one of my various tripods to increase consistent image quality. If you are keen, it is a small price to pay. Forget what you could get away with in your early years.

• 1 month later...
On 5/18/2020 at 10:18 AM, ruskkyle said:

I would like to see more Summilux-TL lenses, ideally a wide-angle like a 16mm f/1.4

I agree  I am happy with the performance of the three zoom lenses though I would like to see an alternative, compact 35mm f2 or f1.7 TL as an alternative to the 18-56. That way I could carry the 11-23 and 55-135 but utilise the 35 f2 as walk around lens for everyday.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 10:47 AM, lct said:

Elmarit-M 28/2.8 asph v1 if you like contrasty lenses. Compact, very sharp, bit busy bokeh but not too much. Not too expensive. Matches very well the digital CL.

LeicaM_2828_11606_spec.pdf 245.76 kB · 1 download

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Love my 28 summicron on my CL apart from the plastic hood . I need to find a better alternative  

Edited by Michael Markey

Advertisement (gone after registration)

42 minutes ago, Michael Markey said:

Love my 28 summicron on my CL apart from the plastic hood . I need to find a better alternative  

You may wish to try the hood of the Summilux 35/1.4 asph pre-FLE which is more compact than that of the Summicron. The later is a great lens indeed, my favorite 28 ever, but i prefer the size of the Elmarit 28/2.8 asph v1 on the CL. Matter of taste of course :cool:.

Edited by lct
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Michael Markey said:

I've been using a step down ring ... not noticed any vignetting with APS-C

I could also attach the 12466 hood , but that would be showing off, without adding much functionality.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, FrozenInTime said:

I've been using a step down ring ... not noticed any vignetting with APS-C

I could also attach the 12466 hood , but that would be showing off, without adding much functionality.

Good idea . 

• 2 months later...
On 5/19/2020 at 6:56 AM, cp995 said:

It ist the same situation as with all other APS-C manufactorers (which do have  FF bodies within their portfolio)
Have a look at Canon (EF-S, EOS-M), Nikon and Sony.
They all fokus on FF and only support APS-C with a minimum setup of lenses.
There are a lot of FF L-Mount lenses available and there will be more in the future, so there ist no reason for whining.
Ask Canon, Nikon, Sony, Leica - You will get the same answer everywhere!

I think a good comparison is Fuji. They have the most amazing variety of lenses for aps sensor. They are certainly committed to aps. That said...  you just can’t have small, autofocus and fast. The physics don’t work. So, we have 18, 23, 35, 60 primes. 2 small, 2 reasonably fast.  I own all but the 60, and use the 35 nearly all the time. I want the 11-23 because I want wider than the 18 and have learned to live with the size of my 35   If I had to have another lens option, I’d get M mount.  But, I love auto focus, which is why I sold my m system. I’m not sure I’ve read in this thread a consistent vote for something that is missing?  Perhaps a smaller 35 cron?  Perhaps a wider summarit?

It needs fast ultra wide angle. Something like Summilux-TL 21 or Summicron-TL 21. Super-Elmar-TL is too slow for my liking 

It needs fast trans standard : non stabilised and slow 18-56mm is not nice enough. Especially at the 56mm f/5.6 end. 

A longer zoom would have been nice. 

Whatever your take about this sad situation. More lenses is better for any system. Because more lenses will attract more users. And only more users will ensure the future of the CL/TL system. 

What will think any prospect about a system with only 7 TL lenses and 3 DC DN from Leica after 6 years since introduction. 
It is not the sign of a healthy ecosystem. 

I really love the CL. I just trying to say the truth. The situation is worrying. Leica must wake up to save the APS-C system  

Edited by nicci78

I think the 23 is an excellent walk around lens, I often go out with the 23 and a 55 7Artisans (best $150 lens I have bought). A longer macro would be nice, 90-120mm, one of the CV Apo Lanthars would be perfect. Also a compact lens wider than 18mm an f4-f2.8, the f1.4s from Sigma are just too big, here 14 or 16mm.

Speaking of heavy lenses I have no problem holding my 90 Elmarit, have to be careful with the 105 Micro Nikkor I have, it is kind of heavy. Yesterday I went out with a 200 f4 Telyt, should of had a tripod with me, I'll try again this afternoon with a tripod.

• Like 1

24mm on CL is equivalent to 36mm. Not wide angle at all...

1.5x crop is making ultra wide angle M worthless. 
What’s the point to pay +3000€ for Tri-Elmar-M just to get 24-28-32mm equivalent ?

CL system are excellent as 1.5x teleconverter for long lenses. 
But they need native wide angle and ultra wide angle.

Fast aperture wide angle is better for creativity. Some will say that it is useless. But I beg to differ, it is actually awesome. Infinite depth of field with ultra wide angle viewing can be boring.  
Summilux-M 21mm is an awesome lens in this regard. Because fast aperture longer lenses are common place. But really rare at 21mm ! 
Mounted on CL it becomes a more mundane 32mm f/2. And do not worth its high cost in this case. 

Edited by nicci78

As you said, for your needs. But not for everybody else. 
There are already plentiful of native long L-mount lenses. For course we still need more.

Anyway we do not have to think for other people. Some may need wider, longer, lighter or faster lenses. We have to respect everybody needs. For that L-mount alliance has to provide as many native lenses as possible. 

The point of having interchangeable lens mount. Is to be able to choose different angle of view. Otherwise the Q2 may be the only needed camera for 28-35-50-75mm needs.   
CL will shine for people needing 18mm or 135mm. Etc... 

So Leica, please listen to us and show us a sign that APS-C is not dead for you. By releasing a CL2 with IBIS. Or a new TL lens. Or even a tiny firmware update for TL2. Anything that can be seen as a gesture of good faith. 

Because all we seen since the end of 2017. Is full frame only stuff : M10-P, M10-D, Q2, SL2, M10 Monochrom, M10-R. Noctilux-M 75mm, Summilux-M 90mm, 4 APO-Summicron-SL, Super-Vario-Elmar-SL 16-35. 
Even rumours are about more 24x36 cameras : Q2 Monochrom & SL2-S. 

And absolutely nothing in the APS-C front for 3 long years. 

Edited by nicci78

I see this somewhat differently.

Instead of trying to adapt my tools to the job,often futilely, I either use the proper tool -another camera system in this case. or adapt the  job to the tool -like merging a multi shot panorama. 
Constant  complaints and empty wishes have never gotten me anywhere and are self-defeating. If I want super WA or fast WA I grab my M9 with SE 18, SX 24 or Voigtlander 15. Come to think of it,  I’ve been doing so for over a decade. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the topic of more native lenses for the TL/CL, I am feeling much better now Sigma has come to the party with options that fill some obvious gaps.

Just hope the L alliance is commercially sustainable in the longer term, and the benefits continue.