Mystery LTM on eBay???

Advertisement (gone after registration)

An eBay seller from Germany has listed a nice looking Leica Ic - the identity confirmed by its serial number as pictured. Thing is, the Ic is described elsewhere as a IIIc without a rangefinder and viewfinder. But THIS camera body clearly bears the optical components. So, what’s up?

Leitz would do factory upgrades to "higher" models while keeping the old serial number, so this could well be a Ic that was factory upgraded.

I have a 1929 Model 1a (by serial) that is now a 1932 model II, and a plain model III (by serial 1935) that is now a IIIf. This last even required a new body as the IIIf is 1/8" longer, but the model III serial was retained. Some of this may have been to get repairs through import/export customs as a repaired item.

Can you provide a link to the camera listing on eBay? As Tom says, conversions for LTM models were common for many years. Here is an example from my collection which I mentioned in a recent thread (now moved to the German forum) about sharkskin c model cameras from 1949.

'SN 455660 IIf Black Dial - Was originally a Ic delivered in October 1949, and seems to have been converted to a IIf BD in January 1954' .

If you can provide more details, we may be able to help.

William

The camera, which is from the same group as my one mentioned above, started out as a I c and was subsequently converted to a IIIf Black Dial (BD). It seems to have sharkskin. It would have received a full new top plate with the original serial number engraved on it. In the case of IIIcs that were converted to IIIf they just received a screw on plate for the sync numbers below the speed dial, whereas Ics would have received a full new top plate with a rangefinder etc. I have written about these models on this forum before. There is nothing unusual here, but the seller should learn how to describe such models properly.

William