Change skin/cover on Digilux 2

Welcome, Lenny.

This topic was discussed extensively,  in this forum,  several years ago. While suppliers might have changed, a search would be a good place to start.Let us know what you find.

• 3 weeks later...

I have contacted several suppliers, including Aki Asahi, Hugo studio,  Halcyon, camera leather, etc. (don't remember every name). In the end I went for Camera Leather (cameraleather.com).

As far as my concern, CameraLeather.com has the most supported cameras. All my "vintage" cameras can find the support.  The first one I installed is Rollei 35S (so far this is the only one, I will see how it goes before step into the second), which can only be found in CameraLeather. All others only support Rollei 35, not Rollei 35S. The most helpful from CameraLeather is the owner is very knowledgeable and very welling to give detailed technical guidance.  The worst is the Italian named Asian camera case supplier. The price is an order magnitude higher and poor support.

Be careful when choosing the material, particularly on the thickness. It matters for the durability, not just how it feels. You want the skin to perfectly matches the camera's side frame. Too thin will expose the side frame and feels incomplete, while too thick might be easy to rub off. Ask the supplier about this.

All suppliers sell the whole skin kit, usually it contains at least the front piece and the back piece.  But I found installing only the front piece may also make sense. Now I have the two tone skin on my Rollei 35S. The front is the dark red and the back is the original black. I made this decision when I found installing the back piece on Rollei 35s (and Rollei 35) might look insecure due to the hand strap connect construction (not sure if this feeling is real).  

Also, one more thing to consider, I suspect just installing the new skin on top of the old one (after carefully cleaning) might also make sense, but it seems all suppliers are against this idea.           

Edited by Einst_Stein
  • Like 1

I went the Camera Leather route quite a few years ago because the rubber skin was coming away but at that time he insisted on installing the new skin himself, which meant sending my Digilux 2 from the UK to US.  

He made a nice job of the skin but on the return leg I got nailed for a very large chunk of VAT because instead of stating on the customs form that he'd repaired the camera's covering he stated that the Digilux 2 was goods valued at far more than I'd paid for it.  If he'd stated, as i'd asked him to, that it was work done on the owner's camera then VAT would not have applied.  Something to be wary of.

Pete.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2020 at 5:38 PM, farnz said:

I went the Camera Leather route quite a few years ago because the rubber skin was coming away but at that time he insisted on installing the new skin himself, which meant sending my Digilux 2 from the UK to US.  

He made a nice job of the skin but on the return leg I got nailed for a very large chunk of VAT because instead of stating on the customs form that he'd repaired the camera's covering he stated that the Digilux 2 was goods valued at far more than I'd paid for it.  If he'd stated, as i'd asked him to, that it was work done on the owner's camera then VAT would not have applied.  Something to be wary of.

Pete.

That is then.  Let it go, it is different now.

Edited by Einst_Stein

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 minutes ago, Einst_Stein said:

That is then.  Let it go, it is different now.

How do you know it's different now?  I have 'let it go' and I simply related what had happened to me so that others might be in a position to protect themselves against it happening to them.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, farnz said:

How do you know it's different now?  I have 'let it go' and I simply related what had happened to me so that others might be in a position to protect themselves against it happening to them.  

Your info is way obsolete. A bad and misleading info is worse than no info. 

I just ordered the camera skins from them. They did not insist to install the skin. 

3 minutes ago, Einst_Stein said:

Your info is way obsolete. A bad and misleading info is worse than no info. 

I just ordered the camera skins from them. They did not insist to install the skin. 

Fair enough and good to know.  I related the experience that I'd had at the time so I don't know why you're being confrontational.  In your own words: "Let it go".

• Like 1