Scratches or scuffing on Q2 EVF

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/17/2020 at 3:43 AM, Christine said:

Hi, I wear glasses and I have noticed some scuffing marks on my eyepiece evf. Has anyone else experienced this?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have this on my Q2 also, although in my case it is about 1/4 of what we see in the above photograph.  I thought it was from contacting my glasses frame, as I am very careful about keeping my Q2 separated from other pieces of gear in my camera bag.

I have thought that if this scuffed spot gets to the point where it makes composing or seeing my EVF difficult, I would send it in to Leica to have it repaired.

In thinking about the eyepiece, it seems to be made of a material (some sort of plastic?) that is too soft to resist scuffing or abrasion.  If that is the case, there should be a way to polish the scuffed patch out.  There are kits at auto stores that are used to polish out the scratching "haze" on clear headlight covers as they age.  Something along those lines would work, but in a much smaller size than the kit made for auto headlight covers.

Expert Shield makes LCD screen protectors for the Q2; maybe we could prevail on them to invent a Q2 EVF eyepiece rejuvination kit.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have experienced this on my Q2 Monochrome, at first I thought it was a finger print smudge and when it didn't rub out with a lens clothe I thought it was a defect in the glass.  I can't for the life of me figure out where it came from since I it doesn't rub up against anything in the camera bag.  the only thing I can think of is it rubbed up against my the fabric of my jacket when I have it over my shoulder.  My blemish isn't as large as the original posters and so far doesn't affect my use of the camera.  It's kind of a design flaw that they didn't use a harder material to resist scratching on a part of the camera that is so exposed and zero eye-cup

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 5/17/2020 at 3:43 AM, Christine said:

Hi, I wear glasses and I have noticed some scuffing marks on my eyepiece evf. Has anyone else experienced this?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Just my two cents, seeing the scuff marks near center away from the peripheral lip or rim, the scuffing may have occurred by rubbing on a relatively flat/flexible surface greater in area than the EVF; the nearer to the raised lip, the less likely the larger surface would contact the glass cover.  Also, seeing the scuff marks with many scratch lines in all directions, there must have been numerous, multidirectional, random contact between the surface and the EVF. 

As suggested above, probably caused by rubbing against the uneven surface of your clothes as your camera swings back and forth around your neck.    

It is concerning that the EVF glass (or plastic or at least plastic or coated outer surface) can be scratched by something as soft as the clothes (and buttons and others on your clothes) you wear.  It seems to avoid the issue, one should look to installing an EVF protector or not carry the camera with a neck strap.    

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I too have a blemish/scratch mark on the evf of my Q2, and I'm almost sure it's come about from my glasses, or the rim of them, touching the evf. I don't use a strap and the camera is softly protected in the bag where I keep it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my Leica Q2 in 15 July 2021 and today 25 July 2021 i noticed the EVF Viewfinder having mild scratches.

I googled and i chanced upon this forum for a solution. I have ordered the protector from Shopee for the EVF protector to paste on to prevent further scratches. Right now it is mild so i hope to prevent it from worsening. 

I do wonder how much it cost to replace the EVF viewfinder? 

On 7/25/2021 at 11:08 PM, charles tay said:

I just got my Leica Q2 in 15 July 2021 and today 25 July 2021 i noticed the EVF Viewfinder having mild scratches.

I googled and i chanced upon this forum for a solution. I have ordered the protector from Shopee for the EVF protector to paste on to prevent further scratches. Right now it is mild so i hope to prevent it from worsening. 

I do wonder how much it cost to replace the EVF viewfinder? 

Just sent in my Q2 to service centre to swap the EVF Viewfinder.... will see my unit next week. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, T. McCool said:

Can someone please post a link to the product you ordered (specifically for the evf portion)?

I would love to avoid this potential issue on my Q2M.. my only concern is the eye sensor, saw some Amazon comments that said it wasn’t working properly with protective film..

https://shopee.sg/product/333882516/5362238640?smtt=0.250507626-1628110914.9

my protector on viewfinder works well. 

7 hours ago, Reactivestills said:

How do you remove the one in the EVF if it needs replacing? Is it full coverage all around the edges or will it allow something like a card or paper to slip under without damaging it to lift it off completely without scratching the EVF?

I would paste scotch tape to pull out the protector and replace a new one. Usually need to be careful not to scratch it or else replacement cost is 300 sgd 

• 1 year later...

Hello,

Sorry to warm up this rather old tread...

Having had the same issue with my Q2 some time ago and not having been able to find a dedicated protector for the EVF, I made one by cutting it out from a screen protector. It works well, but it does create annoying reflections in some situations.

What are your experiences with the one linked above ?

Thanks !

Gérard

I will say this for those of you (us) who noticed that this was an issue a bit too late.  I sent my Q2M off to NJ for the CLE and listed the scratched eye piece as something for them to take a look at - and when it came back they had replaced it free of charge.  The entire process took a bit over a month, maybe 5 weeks.  To all of the folks who speak ill of Leica customer service, I have had nothing but positive experiences (knocking on wood).  I should note that I bought my Q2M new and the warranty is still valid.  

• Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 6:07 PM, Daniel C.1975 said:

Note the viewfinder cover appears to be plastic (polyethylene terephthalate), not glass, in both cases. PET is the same stuff used plastic drinks bottles etc. Perhaps too what Leica  uses in the viewfinder itself?