M10M and APO 50

joonas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've got the APO-Summicron-M 50mm in silver that I bought for my M10 Edition Zagato and it really bothers me that it's not black.

Which lens looks better on the Monochrom the black APO or the black chrome?

Anyone have pictures of both lenses on the camera to compare?

Thanks!

17 minutes ago, joonas said:

I've got the APO-Summicron-M 50mm in silver that I bought for my M10 Edition Zagato and it really bothers me that it's not black.

Which lens looks better on the Monochrom the black APO or the black chrome?

Anyone have pictures of both lenses on the camera to compare?

Thanks!

The black chrome matches the M10M better. I have both colors to compare. 

• Like 2

I would hesitate to give an aesthetic opinion to someone whose cup of tea is an M10 Zagato with black lens.  

I prefer the black chrome 50 APO to the standard version because of its robust build, more distinct aperture clicks and fully knurled focus ring.  The hood is old school and functional, although I haven’t noticed flare even without.  

Jeff

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

I would hesitate to give an aesthetic opinion to someone whose cup of tea is an M10 Zagato with black lens.  

I prefer the black chrome 50 APO to the standard version because of its robust build, more distinct aperture clicks and fully knurled focus ring.  The hood is old school and functional, although I haven’t noticed flare even without.  

Jeff

I bought the Zagato and silver APO 50, it came with 35 Lux, both are in silver.

Then I got the M10M with black 35 Cron and I've been testing the lenses on it and I definitely prefer the APO 50 of those three lenses although 35mm has been my favourite focal length.

M10M + APO 50 is a sublime combo and makes me want to turn into full-time monochrome photography dedicated to 50mm only.

The Lux renders fine on the M10M but the rendering bothers me in colour so I'm definitely a Cron kind of a guy.

Now I've decided to get the APO 50 in black and my dealer recommended me to get the chrome black to better match the M10M. I searched for the pics of the black chrome and didn't find any on the M10M thus I turned to the forum if any of you have pictures of both of the lenses on the camera.

Sorry for the confusion. What I meant is that the silver lens on the M10M is not aesthetically pleasing while it looks great on the Zagato.

• Thanks 1

...Sorry for the confusion. What I meant is that the silver lens on the M10M is not aesthetically pleasing while it looks great on the Zagato.

The Zagato set is not unattractive, although it would not be my first choice.  I find the white M10 less desirable than the Zagato.

The winner and still champion of the Fugliest Leica Ever Created category was, is and shall ever be the Lenny Kravitz "Drifter" M246 set. 

As an owner of the M-P 240 Safari edition, I  have to say that this kit is pleasing to the eye.  I still gravitate to all black M cameras and lenses, followed closely by chrome and black combinations. 

The M246 Stealth edition caused my heart to race when it came out.  Given that, it is no surprise that the M10 Monochrom is in the cross hairs as my next acquisition.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The black chrome APO has a flat, matte black finish, likely more akin to the M10 Monochrom. The standard black version is anodized with a shinier finish, like your 35 Summicron..  Matter of taste. For the 50 APO,  I would choose based on the ergonomic and functional differences (size, hood, focus ring, construction, etc). The standard 50 APO I tried (3 samples) had overly loose aperture rings, common with various modern Leica lens releases, and its compact design placed the aperture and focus rings too close together for my taste. Nifty slide out hood, though, but probably not as effective as the black chrome hood.  I interchange my 50 APO black chrome and black 50 Summilux M ASPH on a silver M10 and on the original Monochrom; don't think twice about black finish differences.  Sorry, no pics.

But then I choose focal length first, other characteristics only secondarily.  My guess is you'll be shopping again when Leica releases a more modern 35mm M lens, which seems inevitable....unless it doesn't come in the finish you like.

Jeff

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

The Zagato set is not unattractive, although it would not be my first choice.  I find the white M10 less desirable than the Zagato.

The winner and still champion of the Fugliest Leica Ever Created category was, is and shall ever be the Lenny Kravitz "Drifter" M246 set. 

As an owner of the M-P 240 Safari edition, I  have to say that this kit is pleasing to the eye.  I still gravitate to all black M cameras and lenses, followed closely by chrome and black combinations. 

The M246 Stealth edition caused my heart to race when it came out.  Given that, it is no surprise that the M10 Monochrom is in the cross hairs as my next acquisition.

When I saw the announcement of the Edition Zagato I immediately fell in love. I thought it was the prettiest camera I've ever seen and the camera that got me into Leica M's.

Before I was in love with the SL and M10 was my first rangefinder. I started to like the size, the simplicity and was astounded when I saw the photos that M10M can create so I got it next.

Now I'm finding myself more and more in love with the Monochrom and seriously considering dedicating myself to it.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

I think silver lenses look sexy on black bodies. Given that you disagree, however, the M10M and any modern black chrome lens are not only better matched -- they are the same finish. The lens housing of the 50 APO black chrome is brass (it will weigh more than your silver 50 APO), and the black chrome finish that is applied to it is the same as what is applied to the brass top and bottom plates of the M10M. Like Jeff S said, the standard black/silver 50 APO lenses are anodized, and the housing is made of aluminum. They still have brass on the inside, but they weigh less because the outside is a lighter-weight metal. 

Whatever you choose, you can't go wrong! It's the 50 APO we're talking about here. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, joonas said:

When I saw the announcement of the Edition Zagato I immediately fell in love. I thought it was the prettiest camera I've ever seen and the camera that got me into Leica M's.

Before I was in love with the SL and M10 was my first rangefinder. I started to like the size, the simplicity and was astounded when I saw the photos that M10M can create so I got it next.

Now I'm finding myself more and more in love with the Monochrom and seriously considering dedicating myself to it.

...until you start missing color. This happened to me after 6 years on an M9M.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, joonas said:

I bought the Zagato and silver APO 50, it came with 35 Lux, both are in silver.

Then I got the M10M with black 35 Cron and I've been testing the lenses on it and I definitely prefer the APO 50 of those three lenses although 35mm has been my favourite focal length.

M10M + APO 50 is a sublime combo and makes me want to turn into full-time monochrome photography dedicated to 50mm only.

The Lux renders fine on the M10M but the rendering bothers me in colour so I'm definitely a Cron kind of a guy.

Now I've decided to get the APO 50 in black and my dealer recommended me to get the chrome black to better match the M10M. I searched for the pics of the black chrome and didn't find any on the M10M thus I turned to the forum if any of you have pictures of both of the lenses on the camera.

Sorry for the confusion. What I meant is that the silver lens on the M10M is not aesthetically pleasing while it looks great on the Zagato.

This might help.  M10 Mono with retro Summilux - looks the same as the retro APO.  I have the regular APO, which stays on the Mono and I bought the retro Summilux to use on my M10-D, where it looks equally nice.  The hood is a bit fussy, but I rarely use it.  If I didn't have the regular APO then I would buy the retro version, but the cost to change seems a bit too rich for what is otherwise the same excellent glass.

Zagato looks interesting  . . . .

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

One could always go for the 'Panda' look... ;)

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, joonas said:

That's exactly what has happened to me.  I feel that this combination is giving me the best camera and the best lens I've used in 40 years of photography.  I don't need or want anything else.

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

I still gravitate to all black M cameras and lenses, followed closely by chrome and black combinations. 

I also have an appreciation for chrome and black combinations.

• Like 4

I'd also argue that the silver mounting ring on the M10M is a hint that the silver lenses will shine on it, as they do!  The bronze 50 Lux and the silver 35 Lux look and feel amazing.  If you don't like your ghost look, @joonas, I can take it off your hands!:)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think black lenses belong on black cameras, but a Leica Monochrom can absolutely rock a silver chrome lens

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2