Using R lenses on the SL2

Robert E

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For anyone else out there that is using R lenses (ROM and non-ROM) on their SL2; can you  tell me if Leica's R to L adapter works well on the SL2 for automatic lens recognition?

Seems the only posts I can find (so far) indicate the Leica R to L adapter is just for the original SL?  Since it is so expensive, I'd like to know what to expect before laying out $1,000 USD.

Any input on how you are using  R lenses on your SL2 is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Robert E

• Like 1

The Leica adapter is too expensive for what it offers. A cheap adapter will do just as well. Actually a cheap macro adapter is the best solution for me. I can use the lenses (R and M) as usual, or with a closer minimal distance if required.

I disagree.  The Leica adapter has a better record for precision than the lowest price competitors (keeping infinity where it belongs, for example, and having the communication with the Rom-equipped lenses permits passing along focal length as well as lens identity.  There are profiles in the SL for some of the lenses that may be of help.  The adapter works for TL, CL and SL2, not just for the original SL.  I've used it heavily with R lenses and both CL and SL, now with SL2 .  However,  I have several SL lenses now and prefer them, except with telephotos.

The biggest advantage of Leica's R adapter, compared to other high-quality adapters, is that it transmits the focal length of ROM lenses to the SL2, which makes it easier to use IBIS (especially with ROM zooms).

It will also automatically save lens information in EXIF data. This isn't important to me, but it may be to you.

That being said, I just noticed that an older M-to-SL adapter that I had in a drawer doesn't fit on the Sigma fp. It was a tight fit on the SL, which is why it got tossed in the drawer in the first place. The lesson there is that cheap adapters often aren't worth their minimal price. You shouldn't compare Leica's adapter to $30 ebay specials, but rather to Novoflex and other high-quality adapters.

I appreciate all the comments so far, and the information Leicaiste provided was very helpful, thank you.

Does anyone know a way to bring up the R lens menu, without having the R to L adapter on the body? I tried to find something in the manual, but could not find a way to do it?

Currently I don't have the Leica # 16076 adapter, I'm using an R to M dumb adapter, then the Leica M to L adapter. This does not allow me to see the R lens menu and reassign it to another button. 

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

49 minutes ago, Robert E said:

I appreciate all the comments so far, and the information Leicaiste provided was very helpful, thank you.

Does anyone know a way to bring up the R lens menu, without having the R to L adapter on the body? I tried to find something in the manual, but could not find a way to do it?

Currently I don't have the Leica # 16076 adapter, I'm using an R to M dumb adapter, then the Leica M to L adapter. This does not allow me to see the R lens menu and reassign it to another button. 

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Have you tried the following?

Setting the lens type manually

▸ Select Camera Information in the main menu ▸ Select Lens Profiles
▸ Select M-Lenses or R-Lenses

Hi wellfleet,

I tried your suggestion without any lens attached. R lens menu does not come up. If I try it with the M adapter (and dumb R adapter) only M lenses come up.

So far have not been able to get the R lens menu to show, even with no lens or adapter attached?

Thanks

Robert

1 hour ago, Robert E said:

Hi wellfleet,

I tried your suggestion without any lens attached. R lens menu does not come up. If I try it with the M adapter (and dumb R adapter) only M lenses come up.

So far have not been able to get the R lens menu to show, even with no lens or adapter attached?

Thanks

Robert

Yes, that's right.  It's an odd one.  I have the Leica M to L adaptor, but use the Fotodiox R to M adaptor and with that combination you have no option to chose an R lens - I usually just use an M lens with same/similar focal length.  I used to have the the Leica R to M but as I only now have one R lens it seemed silly to keep it.

However, when I use a M to L adaptor not of the Leica variety stacked with the Fotodiox R to M ( for eg I use a 7 Artisans close focus adaptor) you get both M and R lens profiles to chose from.

Edited by Boojay
  • Like 1

No...

You will first have to scroll to 'Lens Profile' in the menu, and then the R lenses become visible and you will need to set which lens you're using. From then on it will show the last R lens that had been set. You don't even need a lens attached to the adapter, as the adapter activates the menu for R lenses, which you can then set for whatever lens you want. If you change the R lens then you will need to change it in the 'Lens Profile' menu. it is not automatic.

Edited by wellfleet

Novaflex does make some good adapters.  I use the Nikon to L adapter for my old nikon AIS gass, which includes a 500mm f/4 and a 500mm mirror f/8. I use the 500mm f/4 with a nikon 1.4x and end up with a 750mm..  It does great.  However, I also use the Leica R to L adapter with the APO-R 280 f/2.8 and a leica APO 1.4 extender.  Because that lens is so heavy, I did not want to use a lightweight adapter.  I also have not used it with ROM lenses, so I do not know how automatic the lens detection is, but it works great and allows me to easily set the lens on the SL...

If you want access to the R lenses menu. You only got 3 choices :

- Leica R-Adapter-L 

- Leica R-Apdater-M (6-bit coded) + Leica M-Adapter-L

- Novoflex LEM/LER under licensed of Leica Camera AG (6-bit coded) + Leica M-Adapter-L

Edited by nicci78
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I have an SL (601) and a Novoflex LET/LER adapter.  When I manually choose a lens from the menu it is not showing up in my ON1 Photo Raw software.  I am not sure if the problem is with the SL or ON1.  Can someone confirm that when you choose a lens with the Novoflex LET/LER adapter that the lens name shows up in the EXIF data.  I know I won't get any aperture/speed data but I thought the lens name would be stored with the image since the camera knows which lens I have selected.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just purchased a secondhand R adapter L and I am very pleased with it. I couldn’t part with the money for a new one. As daft as it seems, it has inspired me to use R glass more. Previously by the time I had removed the M-L adapter from the CL and then stack R-M-L adapters and selected the correct lens profile I was loosing interest. Most of my R lenses are ROM and the profiles select perfectly. I did mount a 90 f2 version 1 with three Cams. At around f5.6 the cam touches a contact in the adapter and the profile menu is displayed. I gather it isn’t an ideal combination, but OK at larger apertures.

The adapter is a nice fit and I would recommend it, if the price is right.

Mark

• 1 month later...

In the attached image of a three cam R lens mount, I believe that Cam number 1 (at the top of the lens) makes contact with the adapter electrical contact strip. I have just compared the adapter pins with those on my R9. The pins in the R9 are notably of smaller diameter, hence is not an issue when a 3 cam lens is mounted on an R body. 

The adapter compatibility chart needs to indicate that 3 CAM lens will touch the contacts. I cannot determine if damage will caused if the lens is stopped down beyond f5.6. It would be good to know. 

Mark

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!