Retropan 320 anti-halation question

Steve Ricoh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In this article, the difference between Fomapan films, it mentions that Retropan 320 does not have an anti-halation layer. Does anyone have corroborative evidence to support this? 
https://blanconegro.com.au/difference-fomapan-films/

For some time now I’ve been looking for a film that will produce halos around light sources, and this may fit the bill. I hope so!

Edited by Steve Ricoh

Yes it's true. The effect is more subtle than the old Kodak infrared film of old (or the "Aura" version of the efke), but still more noticeable than other "normal" films. Be warned though, Retropan 320 is *really* grainy. As grainy or grainier as Delta 3200. Grainier than TriX pushed to 1600.

• Thanks 1

I did not find much evidence to show halation with retropan and I tried.

The scratch I think was from a poorly loaded IXMOO cassette, it was a test so not that bothered. Lens was a 50mm Zeiss C Sonnar.

It did look a bit of halation but on a re-scan on the area alone the film actually held the highlight rather well and this was a halogen bulb not diffuse.

There are more general shots on my Flickr search Cine, i missed the still on some tags. https://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/ Retropan tag brings up 88 shots.

I am sure you know what you are looking for but for those who have not seen halation Cine-Still does it in abundance with the rem-Jet layer removed

Edited by chris_livsey
added link
  • Like 1