Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 minutes ago, darylgo said:

This morning I was carrying a 50 Noct for 3 hours, it is not an easy lens to shoot for any length of time but certainly manageable, the 75 Noct for me would be painful on an M.  I am going to speculate (no experience with this combination) that a Black Rapid strap attached to the lens tripod socket would make this a rather easy setup to carry and shoot, in addtion it would relieve the camera mount supporting the lens.  Re:  "cheap SLs"....plentiful also, a screaming good deal, if I didn't own one I would jump-in, the most versatile camera in the Leica system.  

Darylgo - that's a good suggestion. I just looked up the Black Rapid strap. It makes me a little nervous to have my $XX,000 set up dangling upside down like that! 😅 But maybe it's not an issue in reality?

I've seen people use that type of strap with DSLRs, but would you (or others) still recommend them for a Leica? I'm not sure if that style makes the camera+body more susceptible to swinging around/getting dings. I've never used one before, so maybe it's just all in my head!

17 minutes ago, flipsa00 said:

Hari - what a beautiful collection! Is that the Summilux ASPH 50 BC? I was presented the opportunity to buy one of those, too. $4,200 was asking price. How do you like it in your stable of lenses? Like I said in my original post, I REALLY miss that dreamy look of the lux, which is why I'm this current situation that I'm posting about. Not to put words on your mouth, but I'm guessing you would say that the Noctilux 50 and Summilux Asph 50 are NOT duplicative? And how do you like the BC version? I previous had the regular black one.

If you mean the lens attached to the M10, it's the first Noctilux 1.2/50 with hand-made asph. elements.

Maybe the rarest of Noctilux lenses, if not the priciest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

If you mean the lens attached to the M10, it's the first Noctilux 1.2/50 with hand-made asph. elements.

Was the 50/1,2 Noctilux manufactured with red lettering?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

oh whoops! My bad... definite newbie error!

19 minutes ago, james.liam said:

Was the 50/1,2 Noctilux manufactured with red lettering?

I think Hari (or maybe somebody else) had customized with the red lettering ( maybe also same red on the Noct 1.0 at right in his picture).

Noctilux 1.2/50 is very handsome lens with original colors and it's classic look, scallopped large focus ring

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

from Wiki Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, flipsa00 said:

Hari - what a beautiful collection! Is that the Summilux ASPH 50 BC? I was presented the opportunity to buy one of those, too. $4,200 was asking price. How do you like it in your stable of lenses? Like I said in my original post, I REALLY miss that dreamy look of the lux, which is why I'm this current situation that I'm posting about. Not to put words on your mouth, but I'm guessing you would say that the Noctilux 50 and Summilux Asph 50 are NOT duplicative? And how do you like the BC version? I previous had the regular black one.

Thank you, I do like collecting but I use all of them too. 

That there is the lovely Noctilux 50/1.2. My fav Noctilux of them all, in terms of size, weight and speed. 

I do have the nice BC50/1.4 in the 50mm collection but the Noct50/1.2 is my daily shooter. It does have a very interesting fingerprint and shines on color as well as b&w.

Duplicates? I get the exact same lens in black and chrom finishing to match the bodies. They are not duplicates, as they are black and chrom respectively. See, they’re different 😁

The good fellas here have corrupted me beyond redemption. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, a.noctilux said:

I think Hari (or maybe somebody else) had customized with the red lettering ( maybe also same red on the Noct 1.0 at right in his picture).

Noctilux 1.2/50 is very handsome lens with original colors and it's classic look, scallopped large focus ring

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

from Wiki

To my eyes the color scheme looks awful. White and yellow on a black body somehow doesn’t compute to me. Leica were gracious and indulged my requests. 

• Like 2

I have both the .95 and the 75mm Noct. For me, the 75mm images generally  feel like any number of fast short tele lenses from whatever manufacturers— I do see the subtle Improvements and Signature of that lens, but is does not present an utterly unique feel like the .95 does wide open. It is a great lens, but not unique.

75mm is on the edge of starting to show tele compression, for lack of better term— wide open you get razor thin DOF and beautiful bokeh, but the compression holds the background apparently “closer” to the subject. The .95 wide open, creates an image where the subject feels more “separated” from the background, even if the DOF is not as thin as the 75.

This difference to my eyes allows the .95 to feel more otherworldly, or to present a view unlike natural vision.

Edited by mdg1371
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all - thanks for the feedback here!

My indecisiveness took over, and I ended up buying both the 50/.95 and the 75/1.25. I have been living with both for about two weeks now. I have been trying to test the two alongside my 50 APO Summicron.

On 5/16/2020 at 9:17 PM, mdg1371 said:

I have both the .95 and the 75mm Noct. For me, the 75mm images generally  feel like any number of fast short tele lenses from whatever manufacturers— I do see the subtle Improvements and Signature of that lens, but is does not present an utterly unique feel like the .95 does wide open. It is a great lens, but not unique.

75mm is on the edge of starting to show tele compression, for lack of better term— wide open you get razor thin DOF and beautiful bokeh, but the compression holds the background apparently “closer” to the subject. The .95 wide open, creates an image where the subject feels more “separated” from the background, even if the DOF is not as thin as the 75.

This difference to my eyes allows the .95 to feel more otherworldly, or to present a view unlike natural vision.

Totally agree with MDG. I was a little heartbroken when I encountered the same results. I was hoping the 75/1.25 would be the silver (black, actually) bullet in my camera bag that would give me "otherworldly" portraits. The perspective on the 75 is a little differentiated from my 50s, but the images just seem a little...bland... compared to the 50/0.95. The narrow DOF can look slick if used correctly, but I am trying to not be one of those photographers that is overly-reliant on it. I do enjoy the lack of purple fringing and amazing sharpness, though. It is clear that this 75/1.25 is from a more modern optical generation when compared to the 50/.95

The 50/.95 became a keeper after 1 day of shooting. It has that gorgeous dreaminess that got me so excited to shoot my 50 lux asph from years ago. Even though I plan to keep it at least in the short term, I am still on the prowl for a used 50 lux asph as a way to get similar images but at lesser weight. We will see if I keep the 50/.95 at that point. 

Testing my 50 APO, I still struggle to see that medium format "pop" that so many preach about. I see it in others' sample images on here, but can't seem to see it in my own images in LR (maybe user error/a terrible eye)...

IN SUMMARY: I'm in love with the 50/0.95 and definitely keeping it. I am not as thrilled with the 75/1.25 but will keep it for now, more so because it is so rare and special. And I am wondering if I need to send my 50 APO to Leica for adjustment/CLA.

Edited by flipsa00
Added info about 50 APO
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, flipsa00 said:

that medium format "pop" that so many preach about

I see that on Monochrome camera’s only with the APO 50.

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 5/27/2020 at 2:35 PM, flipsa00 said:

My indecisiveness took over, and I ended up buying both the 50/.95 and the 75/1.25. I have been living with both for about two weeks now. I have been trying to test the two alongside my 50 APO Summicron.

Totally agree with MDG. I was a little heartbroken when I encountered the same results. I was hoping the 75/1.25 would be the silver (black, actually) bullet in my camera bag that would give me "otherworldly" portraits. The perspective on the 75 is a little differentiated from my 50s, but the images just seem a little...bland... compared to the 50/0.95. The narrow DOF can look slick if used correctly, but I am trying to not be one of those photographers that is overly-reliant on it. I do enjoy the lack of purple fringing and amazing sharpness, though. It is clear that this 75/1.25 is from a more modern optical generation when compared to the 50/.95

The 50/.95 became a keeper after 1 day of shooting. It has that gorgeous dreaminess that got me so excited to shoot my 50 lux asph from years ago. Even though I plan to keep it at least in the short term, I am still on the prowl for a used 50 lux asph as a way to get similar images but at lesser weight. We will see if I keep the 50/.95 at that point. 

Testing my 50 APO, I still struggle to see that medium format "pop" that so many preach about. I see it in others' sample images on here, but can't seem to see it in my own images in LR (maybe user error/a terrible eye)...

IN SUMMARY: I'm in love with the 50/0.95 and definitely keeping it. I am not as thrilled with the 75/1.25 but will keep it for now, more so because it is so rare and special. And I am wondering if I need to send my 50 APO to Leica for adjustment/CLA.

So in your opinion, what gives the 50/0.95 that dreaminess?

From the spec I see that DOF on the75/1.25 is about half compared to 50/0.95, but which of the two has greater amount of bokeh?

I'm considering getting my very first Noctilux, so I'm in the same boat as you were.  Deciding between the 50/0.95 and the 75/1.25 is very hard.

vor 16 Minuten schrieb MrFriendly:

So in your opinion, what gives the 50/0.95 that dreaminess?

From the spec I see that DOF on the75/1.25 is about half compared to 50/0.95

You have to compare DOF not(!) at the same distance but for a comparable framing (= same size of your subject)! In that case DOF is only a function of the f-number and independent of focal length.

Bokeh is usually creamier at longer focal lengths because of the ‚magnification‘ of background blur. 

Thus DOF and bokeh a two completely different things!

• 1 year later...
Am 27.5.2020 um 21:35 schrieb flipsa00:

Hi, 

I was wondering of there is any update on your decision. Did you keep the 75mm for now? Or did you sell it in the meantime? 
I am facing the same decision here...cant make up my mind if I should get the 50 or 75 not. I already have the 50apo and lux. 
The 50 nocti has just this dreamy and "nocti" look. And it's not as big as the 75. I don't have a 75 focal length yet...so the 75 would be a new focal length, which would be a plus. 

Decisions...decisions...this is killing me :D 

Regret to say that you'd find a better experience / result with the SL2 / SL2s with the 75mm Summicron or 90mm Summicron SL lenses over the 75mm Summilux, which is a lens for someone that has everything and wants to park 10 grand in a lens.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, jrp said:

Regret to say that you'd find a better experience / result with the SL2 / SL2s with the 75mm Summicron or 90mm Summicron SL lenses over the 75mm Summilux, which is a lens for someone that has everything and wants to park 10 grand in a lens.

Harsh

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jrp said:

Did you mean 75mm Noctilux or 90mm Summilux?  A 75mm Summilux van be bought for around £4k:

https://www.reddotcameras.co.uk/m-lenses/17800-leica-summilux-75mm-f14-m-case.html

I owned the SL 75mm Summicron and it is indeed an excellent lens.  I borrowed a 75mm Noctilux and (to my eyes) it is superior, but is it double the price?  Well, I would buy if I could afford, but I can't, so I won't.  The law of diminishing returns applies here, as it does with most other high priced items.  Audiophile hi-fi is another example - there is always some gain but you can end up paying a lot for very marginal improvement.

But I agree with @IkarusJohn your comments are harsh.  Is your opinion based on actual use of both lenses?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1