Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had my heart set on getting a used Noctilux 50MM f/0.95, but I also found a used Noctilux 75MM f1.25.

I wanted the 50 because I regret selling my Summilux ASPH 50MM - I really miss that dreamy/creamy look! The 50 Noctilux could be a suitable replacement, with an extra stop to boot! The "more usable" focal length is another plus.

On the other hand, the 75 is appealing to me because it is a more modern lens with less CA/purple fringing, less vignetting, and a sharper look. I also don't have any 75MM yet. I shoot a lot of portraiture, but admittedly it's more environmental, so not totally sure if 75MM would be the right FL anyway. Still, I think I could make use of the 75.

Any thoughts on which one would be "better," all things considered? Do I get both?!

FYI - I am shooting on an M10 and also have a 50 APO and a 35 Lux FLE.

Thanks all!

Edited by flipsa00
Editing for grammar/clarity
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jaapv said:

If you have to ask - get both.

I was afraid you’d say that! 😈

Jaeger - I haven’t noticed a surplus of inventory nor lower prices than pre-COVID. I did notice a ton of SLs though as people upgrade to SL2. 

4 hours ago, jaapv said:

If you have to ask - get both.

This should be in the FAQ.:)

BUT, here's a more innovative route!  Forget purple fringing and screw CA with the M10M Monochrom!  Get the M10M and the 0.95.

Then, if you enjoy the dreamy look, add the rare 1.0 Noctilux, which sends blue waves somewhere else to create the Leica halo!

(I just did add the 1.0 after having the 0.95 for a while...  and boy is it something on the Monochroms!)

Also, I checked in withThorsten @Overgaard, when getting his latest book on portraiture, and asked if he's enjoying the 75mm Noct and the 90mm Lux...  He said:

I kept the 50/0.95 as my main lens, the 90/1.5 did not make much sense. The 75/1.25 I really liked, but didn’t want to take it out and about. Both beautiful lenses. 

Edited by setuporg
  • Like 6

Flipsa00,  Based on my decades of experience with the M system and various Noctilux lenses, one will find they all render differently.  It depends on your genre of photography and needs vs wants.  To help with your decision check out this article.  You can click on the photographs too.  I agree with Jaapv...simply buy both...there is no cure Leica GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).

Try:  https://www.streetsilhouettes.com/home/2018/8/6/leica-50mm-noctilux-summilux-summicron-all-versions-plus-summarit-f15

r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The closest object distance of the 75 is 0.85m, which is a lot closer than 1m for the 50 (which would be 1.5m for a 75!). So I wouldn’t hesitate a second if you want to choose between these two. I prefer to use Summiluxes at close distances to enjoy the nice OOF at the most, that would also count for wider apertures.

Edited by otto.f

Haha, you are right about the FAQ. I remember seeing another person's (her name was Jennifer) post about 50 Lux Asph vs 50 APO vs 50 Nocti. She ended up having all 3. The post was from a few years ago... 

And Otto.f - yes, that's another one of the reasons I'm leaning towards the 75.

Although to be honest, right now, I am seem to be getting nudged towards getting both, partly because of what I read from Jennifer's thread. She ended up getting both the 50 APO and Nocti back in 2015. I wonder if she would've also gotten the 75 Nocti if she were in my position today. 🙂

both beautiful lenses and I agree with Setuporg that the 50 Nocti is perfect for Monochrom - wide open and against light CA in colour can be bad. BUT it is easier to carry around and when stopped down it looks beautiful also in color. 

the 75 is absolute perfection wide open and probably the best portrait lens (technically speaking) I have ever had in my hands. Colours are outstanding.

If you dont plan to take it out much, only want to do portraiture with it and prefer to work in colour, the 75 is probably a better fit,  but to many extents it does not have the magic unpredictability of the 50 noctis

• Like 4

The 75 Noc is quite large, but I was very impressed with its sharpness at F1.25.  If wide open sharpness is a key criteria, then 75 Noctilux would get my vote (over the 50 F.95).  I had the 75 Noctilux for awhile, but did not use it much because it was handful to carry.  It's not the type of lens I'd carry with me "just in case" picture happens to come about.  It tended to get used around the house if we had friends over, but that was about it.  Optically, I loved it and had it weighed ~500g, I would still have it.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, darylgo said:

I’d be tempted by the 75 also, very few on the used market.  It is much larger and heavier than the 50, poor balance. From a market perspective its a buy.  

Darylgo, you're absolutely right about the poor balance. Do you think an M10 Handgrip would be enough to improve the ergonomics of it? I'm also hearing it's a great fit (balance wise) for the SL/SL2. Maybe I snag one of the cheap SLs for the purposes of using the 75 Nocti lens.

19 minutes ago, John Black said:

The 75 Noc is quite large, but I was very impressed with its sharpness at F1.25.  If wide open sharpness is a key criteria, then 75 Noctilux would get my vote (over the 50 F.95).  I had the 75 Noctilux for awhile, but did not use it much because it was handful to carry.  It's not the type of lens I'd carry with me "just in case" picture happens to come about.  It tended to get used around the house if we had friends over, but that was about it.  Optically, I loved it and had it weighed ~500g, I would still have it.  

I agree the weight is a big deal! When you got rid of it, what replaced it (either a new purchase, or one of the lenses you already had)?

20 hours ago, flipsa00 said:

I had my heart set on getting a used Noctilux 50MM f/0.95, but I also found a used Noctilux 75MM f1.25.

I wanted the 50 because I regret selling my Summilux ASPH 50MM - I really miss that dreamy/creamy look! The 50 Noctilux could be a suitable replacement, with an extra stop to boot! The "more usable" focal length is another plus.

On the other hand, the 75 is appealing to me because it is a more modern lens with less CA/purple fringing, less vignetting, and a sharper look. I also don't have any 75MM yet. I shoot a lot of portraiture, but admittedly it's more environmental, so not totally sure if 75MM would be the right FL anyway. Still, I think I could make use of the 75.

Any thoughts on which one would be "better," all things considered? Do I get both?!

FYI - I am shooting on an M10 and also have a 50 APO and a 35 Lux FLE.

Thanks all!

One of each. 

They’re all so different. Really.
They have nothing in common, except for the Noctilux name.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, TheGodParticle/Hari said:

One of each. 

.... but for us mere mortals, the decisions aren't so fiscally simple. I understand the draw of an interesting bokeh but I don't care for the unbalanced weight on an M body, even if I could afford them. I have handled the 75 & 90 Noctiluxii and they are simply unwieldy on the M10 I used & aren't for ambling around with. The weight & size are really meant for the SL body format. 

Even the 50 Noctilux and the VF blockage is an annoyance.

Edited by james.liam
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, james.liam said:

.... but for us mere mortals, the decisions aren't so fiscally simple. I understand the draw of an interesting bokeh but I don't the unbalanced weight even if I could afford them. I have handled the 75 & 90 Noctiluxii and they simply aren't for ambling around with. It's weight & size is really ideal for the SL body format. 

It should be rather easy to catch my neighbors. They’re still crawling around slowly, each having lost a kidney mysteriously. 

The bulk, size and weight is just unfortunate for my taste too. I keep it to complete the collection, but I rarely shoot the Noct75. The last compromise for me is the Noct0.95. 

For the SL I do prefer the native lenses as they clearly outperform any comparable M lens, and I appreciate the AF/weather sealing etc. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, james.liam said:

.... but for us mere mortals, the decisions aren't so fiscally simple. I understand the draw of an interesting bokeh but I don't care for the unbalanced weight on an M body, even if I could afford them. I have handled the 75 & 90 Noctiluxii and they are simply unwieldy on the M10 I used & aren't for ambling around with. The weight & size are really meant for the SL body format. 

Can’t agree more, but OP has set his heart on them and they say you can’t argue with people in love

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, otto.f said:

Can’t agree more, but OP has set his heart on them and they say you can’t argue with people in love

1 hour ago, james.liam said:

I hear you guys about the balance! It's so unfortunate. But guilty as charged... i am in love with these lenses! I am contemplating committing M sacrilege by picking up an SL. I really should NOT be spending more money right now, but the used SLs seem to be a decent deal with everyone selling theirs to get an SL2.

8 hours ago, flipsa00 said:

Do you think an M10 Handgrip would be enough to improve the ergonomics of it? I'm also hearing it's a great fit (balance wise) for the SL/SL2. Maybe I snag one of the cheap SLs for the purposes of using the 75 Nocti lens.

This morning I was carrying a 50 Noct for 3 hours, it is not an easy lens to shoot for any length of time but certainly manageable, the 75 Noct for me would be painful on an M.  I am going to speculate (no experience with this combination) that a Black Rapid strap attached to the lens tripod socket would make this a rather easy setup to carry and shoot, in addtion it would relieve the camera mount supporting the lens.  Re:  "cheap SLs"....plentiful also, a screaming good deal, if I didn't own one I would jump-in, the most versatile camera in the Leica system.  

1 hour ago, TheGodParticle/Hari said:

One of each. 

Hari - what a beautiful collection! Is that the Summilux ASPH 50 BC? I was presented the opportunity to buy one of those, too. $4,200 was asking price. How do you like it in your stable of lenses? Like I said in my original post, I REALLY miss that dreamy look of the lux, which is why I'm this current situation that I'm posting about. Not to put words on your mouth, but I'm guessing you would say that the Noctilux 50 and Summilux Asph 50 are NOT duplicative? And how do you like the BC version? I previous had the regular black one.