Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

First time post, be gentle. 
I want to bring my raw files from Monochrom into silver efex. SEP. But it will only accept RGB. Will this lead to loss of quality ? When I scan my black and white negs I do so in greyscale and that’s  perfect for printing to black and white paper at Metro. 
It seems to defeat the object of the Monochrom if I have to convert to RGB ?
Am I missing a trick ? What say you ?

Edited by Ian clegg
Spelling

SEP is not a postprogramming program, nor a raw converter, it is just a bunch of (elaborate) presets. You should use it in conjunction with a proper program, like Lightroom, Photoshop, On1,  C1, etc. If you use it as a Lightroom plugin, the file conversions will be handled in the background.

Thanks for replies. 
yes I have SEP as a plug in for photoshop. 
but it will only accept the files if they are RGB

So if I convert to RGB will there be a loss of any data from the grey scale you think ? 

39 minutes ago, Ian clegg said:

Thanks for replies. 
yes I have SEP as a plug in for photoshop. 
but it will only accept the files if they are RGB

So if I convert to RGB will there be a loss of any data from the grey scale you think ? 

Yes, you should set files  to Adobe RGB 16 bit in ACR to get full quality. DNG  files cannot be edited, they need to be converted first - always. The problem is that ACR converts to geyscale by default, which is basically nonsense. That is where you get stuck. I general you must always use Photoshop Adobe RGB/16. and only dumb down as needed before saving.
The blue link just under the preview in ACR will open the preferences panel. Set to Adobe RGB and 16 bits. It will remember the new default.

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Go to a photography exhibition printed on silver paper and look closely, the prints are never pure greyscale. They have warm or cool tones because of the paper base and differences in emulsion, hence use RGB even with a Monochrom image and decide which subtle tone best suits them for a true B&W presence in your ink jet print. The inkjet paper itself will rarely be entirely neutral so create the tone you want in the mid to shadow areas using Silver Efex.

Edited by 250swb

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By maxsimkammerer
      Update 26. November 2019: Das hier ehemals verlinkte Forum existiert nicht mehr.
      Im Systemkamera-Forum gibt es aber jetzt ein eigenes deutsches Capture One Forum
    • By Stick
      What is the benefit to shooting JPEG and RAW?
      I am starting to get overwhelmed by having doubles of all pictures, not to mention the additional space requirement.

Does anyone shoot only JPEG? Why?
      Does anyone shoot only RAW? Why?
      Thanks!
    • By frame-it
      very cool

https://gross.is/super70/
    • By R4p70r
      Hi,
      I have a question to all those who use the Q2 alongside with their Sony camera:
      How far can you go with those Q2 RAW files?
      [Taking the photos shakefree, deliberately underexpose the photos, increasing the exposure in post-processing etc. just to get the shot.]

I would like to read your input in that regard.
      I own the Sony RX100V (RX100 MK5) & A7RIII (A7R MK3) with a bunch of Sony GM (85mm f/1.4), Sony Zeiss (35mm f/2.8 & 55mm f/1.8), Zeiss (Batis 85mm, Loxia 25mm, Loxia 50mm, Loxia 85mm) and adapted Contax Zeiss (28mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.7, 85mm f/2.8, 135mm f/2.8) lenses.
      Currently I love using the Zeiss Loxia lenses and so far I like the Q2's lens rendering. I would like to replace most of those lenses and the RX100V, keep the Loxia & 85mm GM lenses and purchase the Q2.
      The intention is to simplify my gear and at least have only a few autofocus lenses in my repertoire.
      The 85mm GM can't go because of portrait photography where autofocus is critical (Sony Eye-AF huray!). For fun projects I like using the Loxia 85mm (that glas is ridiculous sharp and contrasty!).
      The Q2's purpose is for covering the the focal length 28mm[, 35mm and 50mm] with its autofocus lens.

I often see myself using my Sony cameras (I had the A6000 & A7II [A7 MK2] before) on my travels in low light situations (www.instagram.com/ryan.lam.888) and I don't carry a full sized tripod with me.
      Sometimes I have a tabletop tripod and a clamp with me traveling to the destination just in case I need them. However after one or two outings I am able to evaluate whether or not I need them. Oftentimes many locations don't allow you to deploy a tripod on-location (Hello London & Italy! xD ).
      It is amazing how much I can get out of those Sony RAW files without much noise and banding issues.

Can anyone provide RAW files from a Q2 and a Sony camera both shot at the same location with the same low light condition?

Thank you!
    • By m.birnbacher
      Liebe Mitglieder, ich habe gesucht, aber nicht wirklich was gefunden, daher der neue Beitrag... 
      Ich dachte, dass eine RAW Datei nur die elektronischen Daten des Sensors speichert und alle anderen Informationen wie Farbe, Kontrast und auch Weißabgleich durch den Bildprozessor der Kamera nur in der JPG Datei ausgegeben werden.

Nun habe ich in der M10 folgendes "Phänomen": der eingestellte Weißabgleich findet auch in der DNG Datei Verwendung, d.h. sowohl in der Apple Vorschau als auch in CaptureOnePro12 sehe ich den manuellen Weißabgleich und damit die unterschiedliche Farbgebung. Ein "Zurücksetzen" auf wie bei Aufnahme ist dann auch nicht mehr möglich.

Ich habe nun einen Artikel dazu gefunden: https://www.pctipp.ch/itipp/artikel/fotografie-ein-dng-ist-kein-raw-86123/ 
      Frage: 
      Liege ich falsch, dass das RAW eigentlich keinen Weißabgleich speichern sollte?
      Ich schreibe gerade an einer Neufassung meiner Seminarunterlagen und wurde gerade in meinen Grundfesten erschüttert, den WB hatte ich so noch nie getestet, da ich davon überzeugt war, dass das RAW die Sensordaten speichert...

Nachträglich FROHE WEIHNACHTEN und zukünftig: ALLES GUTE FÜR 2019
      Michel

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue., Read more about our Privacy Policy