M10 M raw files converted to RGB

Advertisement (gone after registration)

First time post, be gentle. 
I want to bring my raw files from Monochrom into silver efex. SEP. But it will only accept RGB. Will this lead to loss of quality ? When I scan my black and white negs I do so in greyscale and that’s  perfect for printing to black and white paper at Metro. 
It seems to defeat the object of the Monochrom if I have to convert to RGB ?
Am I missing a trick ? What say you ?

Edited by Ian clegg
Spelling

SEP is not a postprogramming program, nor a raw converter, it is just a bunch of (elaborate) presets. You should use it in conjunction with a proper program, like Lightroom, Photoshop, On1,  C1, etc. If you use it as a Lightroom plugin, the file conversions will be handled in the background.

39 minutes ago, Ian clegg said:

Thanks for replies. 
yes I have SEP as a plug in for photoshop. 
but it will only accept the files if they are RGB

So if I convert to RGB will there be a loss of any data from the grey scale you think ? 

Yes, you should set files  to Adobe RGB 16 bit in ACR to get full quality. DNG  files cannot be edited, they need to be converted first - always. The problem is that ACR converts to geyscale by default, which is basically nonsense. That is where you get stuck. I general you must always use Photoshop Adobe RGB/16. and only dumb down as needed before saving.
The blue link just under the preview in ACR will open the preferences panel. Set to Adobe RGB and 16 bits. It will remember the new default.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Go to a photography exhibition printed on silver paper and look closely, the prints are never pure greyscale. They have warm or cool tones because of the paper base and differences in emulsion, hence use RGB even with a Monochrom image and decide which subtle tone best suits them for a true B&W presence in your ink jet print. The inkjet paper itself will rarely be entirely neutral so create the tone you want in the mid to shadow areas using Silver Efex.

Edited by 250swb