FOTOS App 2.1 released (Geotagging)

Matsaly

** News Update, well I Reset my Camera, Deleted & ReDownloaded FOTOS on my iPhone 8+ - Restarted Both, set everything up on my camera & Yiiipppeeeeee everything worked (inc GPS),,, Onwards we go...  :D   L

• Haha 1

I am very disappointed after my first (frustrating) attempt to use the geotagging feature in Fotos 2.1. Of course there is a learning curve but I find the user interface to be unintuitive.

Sitting at my dining room table I managed to get 3 out of 10 shots with geotag info.  

The lack of documentation from Leica is appalling. At the very least a "step by step" guide would be helpful.

Having owned the Q2 for a year I feel the geotagging feature is still a non-starter.

4 minutes ago, Matsaly said:

I am very disappointed after my first (frustrating) attempt to use the geotagging feature in Fotos 2.1. Of course there is a learning curve but I find the user interface to be unintuitive.

Sitting at my dining room table I managed to get 3 out of 10 shots with geotag info.  

The lack of documentation from Leica is appalling. At the very least a "step by step" guide would be helpful.

Having owned the Q2 for a year I feel the geotagging feature is still a non-starter.

IMHO the whote FOTOS thing is a hit n miss adventure....   L

I made even more test to verify the sllep mode and switch off mode inconsitency and the result is good:

I left the camera the whole afternoon in sleep mode and randomly took a photo
if i took the camera and took a photo immediately --> no geotagging
if i waited till the Satellite Sysmbol bif i took the camera and took a photo immediately --> no geotagging
if i waited till the Satellite Sysmbol became bright and took a photo --> geotagging is recordedecame bright and took a photo --> geotagging is recorded
ramdomly i got a message on the cellphone screen that the Q2 dime and date was updated

When i came back home i switched the camera off to see what will happen

after one hour camera switched off and the on again, same as above
if i waited till the Satellite Sysmbol became bright and took a photo --> geotagging is recorded

after one hour camera switched off and the on again, same as above
if i waited till the Satellite Sysmbol became bright and took a photo --> geotagging is recorded

Conclusion
Under Android and Blutooth always on it seems that geotagging works as promised under the conditions that:

1° the Leica Fotos App is started, the camera connected and the Leica Symbol is in the status line on top of the screen
2° before you take a photo you must wait till the satellite symbol is lit, if no connection satellite symbol is still there but dull, that is confusing
3° the camera can be in sleep mode or switched off, as long the bluetooth connection is up after the waiting period geotagging will work

For who had intermittent geotagging or it does not work at all:
- check that geotagging is switched on in the Leica Fotos app
- check that the leica symbol is in the statusline and you may get a message that eica geotaaging is on
- check your bluetooth parameters, bluetooth must be always on, otherwise blutooth may switch off in your device and will disconnect the camera

Once more: the tests where made using Q2 and Galaxy S20 Android Phone
As i dont use Apple Products i cannot test under IOS OS
Using another abdroid or IOS device it may not work as described
using different settings for buetooth (particularly energy saving settings who switch of bluetooth) it may not work as described

Chris

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So I tested it on a walk this morning,.  Very hit-and-miss.  When walking I use ViewRanger on iPhone for my maps, and if that is in the foreground (with Fotos running but not the active app) then the camera often -- but not consistently -- fails to geotag.  It does seem very fussy.

This seems like a good thread for reporting quality issues in geotagging.  With an SL2 and a Moto G7 Android phone, when everything goes well I turn on the phone, wait for BT to show, make sure that Fotos is running on my phone which is next to the camera, wait for the GPS icon to appear. Then the p;hone goes to sleep (at least the screen is dark, but Fotos is the last app active).  The gps icon stays.  Then the camera goes to sleep.  When I wake it up, the gps icon is gone and does not come back.  If I get a change later today I will set the camera to always on and see how accurate it is as I walk along.

I set things up more carefully and checked with SL2 and Android photos as above.  I let the phone and the camera go to sleep.  Then woke it up with a shutter half-press.  The BT icon appears in about 5 secs.  The GPS icon appears about 30 seconds later.  This is still working three hours after I started things off.  

Does the Q2 have similar timing?  How long after the GPS icon appears do the pictures start to be geotagged?

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

It's working for me on M10-D and SL2.  Don't have a Q2.  Check on your phone that the Fotos App has all the access permissions that it will need (time, date, location).  Check on your camera that you have set data and time to be set by rhe external app.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

17 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

It's working for me on M10-D and SL2.  Don't have a Q2.  vccCheck on your phone that the Fotos App has all the access permissions that it will need (time, date, location).  Check on your camera that you have set data and time to be set by rhe external app.

You mean on the camera you can set to have time and date set by external app? I don't have that option on both the phone or the camera. Maybe Q2 don't have this function yet?

On my SL2 under Camera Settings/date and time there is an option to set it "via smartphone"

Most smart phones have a place where you allow an app access to things like data, time, location and other stuff.  If you didn't authorize this when you installed Fotos, check it now.

9 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

On my SL2 under Camera Settings/date and time there is an option to set it "via smartphone"

Most smart phones have a place where you allow an app access to things like data, time, location and other stuff.  If you didn't authorize this when you installed Fotos, check it now.

The Q2 doesn't have "via smartphone" option in the Camera Settings/date and time. I uses iOS, don't find a place where they ask you access date and time. They only ask you locations which I activated. 

I had a semi-failed experiment in logging this afternoon.  I got the phone and sl2 talking to each other while I was at my desk.  Checked every half hour or so to ee that I still got a GPS icon within 30 seconds.  Then in the evening I pocket the phone and picked up the camera and went outside for 4o shots, waling around the neighborhood.  Every shot has a Geo location.  but the location is my desktop. It seems this phone needs to be awakened from time to time.

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Leica Lover 88:

Does the Date and Time sync update with the phone works with this update on Q2? I use an iphone and don't see the time and date to be syncing. Is there a setting I need to switch on? 

I don't have that option on both the phone or the camera. Maybe Q2 don't have this function yet?

do you get the coordinates?

In any case you need to switch on Geotaggin in Leica Photo 2.1.0 menu
connect to the camera
once camer is connected press shutter button and answer yes to stop WiFi connection
you should get time/date synch from phone to Q2 every time you wake up / switch on the Q2 and have the coordinattes saved with the photos

After a wake up or switch on you need to wait aprox 30 sec/1 min till the satellite icon becomes highlited, if its dull greay cou have NO connection.

It seems that IOS is making much more problems than Android.

Chris

Edited by PhotoCruiser

vor 23 Minuten schrieb scott kirkpatrick:

I had a semi-failed experiment in logging this afternoon.  I got the phone and sl2 talking to each other while I was at my desk.  Checked every half hour or so to ee that I still got a GPS icon within 30 seconds.  Then in the evening I pocket the phone and picked up the camera and went outside for 4o shots, waling around the neighborhood.  Every shot has a Geo location.  but the location is my desktop. It seems this phone needs to be awakened from time to time.

I did basically the same but the experiment was agin a total success, but Android Phone and Q2
However,

I had my Android Phone from yesterday midday with the Leica symbol on and made several tests yesterday.
Tonight i switched the Q2 off, but left my phone on so that the Leica symbol was still in the top status line.

I took my bike for a spin and drove 8 miles in Zurich, several shops, lunch, etc and had my phone in the pocket and the Q2 switched off.
Every time i took a photo i waited 30 seconds till the satellite symbol became highlited/bright and all photos are geotagged.
I made a series of photos from switch on till the geotagging worked and it took 25 seconds from the first photo without coordinates till the first photo with coordinates.

So i can confirm that the Q2 on Android devices it works as advertised.
a) let the camera sleeping instead of switching her off
b) switching the camera off instead of let her go sleep
There is no addtitional thing to do on the Android device, start Leica Photos, press shutter to switch off WiFi and you are good to go.

Just wait 30 seconds (or maybe longer on some cameras) or till the satellite icon becomes bright/highlighted and coordinates will be saved.

The only thing i noticed is that i consumed more battery than usual,
but i am not sure if my smartwatch recording the bicycle trip was the culprit or if the Leica geotagging feature uses more battery than usual.

Chris

It seems that Leica Photos and IOS are no good friends!

To make leica Photos 2.0 and 2.1.0 work on the Iphone/IPad it seems to be necessary to cancel the existing camera and search again for the camera.
The problems i am reading from IOS devices seem to me as IOS and/or the Leica Photo app will keep old data if you update from a previous version.
the same problem was already ocurring with Leica Photos 2.0 and IOS Devices and it yould be solved unistalling the older Leica Photos App
and reinstall the new version as this will cancel all old data.

Most of IOS users could make it work this way while the update-way was a spiny journey and mostly unsuccessful.

Chris

• Thanks 1

While I had issues with iOS, I had a very successful geotagging test with Android (Pixel 4XL). If you have any issues, make sure that FOTOS app is marked as "not optimized" in the Battery Optimization setting. This prevents the app from being inactive and missing GPS data sync.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, PhotoCruiser said:

do you get the coordinates?

In any case you need to switch on Geotaggin in Leica Photo 2.1.0 menu
connect to the camera
once camer is connected press shutter button and answer yes to stop WiFi connection
you should get time/date synch from phone to Q2 every time you wake up / switch on the Q2 and have the coordinattes saved with the photos

After a wake up or switch on you need to wait aprox 30 sec/1 min till the satellite icon becomes highlited, if its dull greay cou have NO connection.

It seems that IOS is making much more problems than Android.

Chris

Yes, I got the coordinates. Well at least I see the satellite icon go white rather than grey. Didn't have time to upload it to LR yet. I even tried repairing the camera and at the end of the process it does tell you that date and time will be synced with phone. However it doesn't. So frustrating.