jonnymm

Elmar 5cm not positioned right on M4?

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all!

Got a Elmar 5cm 3.5 today and on inspection with the adapter I’ve realised it’s not positioning properly when screwed and mounted on. If you see in the left photo the focus arm is nearly at 6pm when it should start at around 7pm? As now when I turn the focus arm it’s hitting the frame selector lever on the right? 

Edited by jonnymm
Multiple images

Hello everybody,

as Brian stated here (at photo.net ), replace the adapter.

As seen on images here, on the adapter used no sign of "red spot" for positioning (just a cut-out with red fill-in I think),

my genuine Leitz 39-M adapters have a red spot on their faces along with the red fill-in cut-out.

Posted (edited)

Her's an original adapter (red dot and cutout) with the same lens on the same camera (not EXACTLY the same lens, indeed...a younger RS)

which moves smooth to shortest focus - no interference with frame lever : some 3rd party adapter can have a LTM thread which, although of the correct size, is wrongly positioned as thread's start along the diameter (an error of around 30-40°, in your case), resulting in such issues.

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2020 at 12:15 AM, jonnymm said:

Hi all!

Got a Elmar 5cm 3.5 today and on inspection with the adapter I’ve realised it’s not positioning properly when screwed and mounted on. If you see in the left photo the focus arm is nearly at 6pm when it should start at around 7pm? As now when I turn the focus arm it’s hitting the frame selector lever on the right? 

Your lens was originally designed to be mounted on an LTM body off-set to the left (looking from behind) so when a photographer has an accessory viewfinder attached they only need to look to the side to see the focus scale, otherwise the finder would obscure the view looking over the top of the camera. Your M mount on the other hand centralises the infinity mark of the focus scale to be in line with top dead centre as with M lenses.

So it's the mount that needs changing to return the offset, your lens will then correctly have the infinity mark to the left of top dead centre, and so by the time it has rotated as far as the frame selector lever the focus lever has moved far enough away from the body to clear.

Edited by 250swb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry delay getting back to people!

Good news is that the lense focusing is fine when it's set like that, problem still being the interference with the frame selector. Looking on ebay I've come across the following three. Would the Voigtlander option be suitable?

Voigtlander are usually very well made , I have a pair of them : Leitz logo is more pleasant... but the look of my originals show their age...

How much! Get the Voigtlander!