Jump to content
Einst_Stein

L mount lenses from non-L Alliance

Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Kipon, MOG, and 7-Artisans have L mount lenses (see B&H),. I assume they lcense the L mount spec. 

What is the difference from the L alliance ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no answer for your question but the 7-Artisans lenses are not really interesting for me, because they are APS-C.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, tom.w.bn said:

I have no answer for your question but the 7-Artisans lenses are not really interesting for me, because they are APS-C.

 

Catch up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, tom.w.bn said:

What do you mean?

Exactly that, catch up.

Above mentioned are re-mounted M mount lenses, M lenses are usually suitable for full format.  Quality of the image and compatibility with camera is different matter.  Although i don't shop at B&H which is in USA, i live in UK, the B&H site usually have user feedback so it is a source of information. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vor 3 Minuten schrieb mmradman:

Exactly that, catch up.

 

Uh. You are so helpful. ☹️   Still don't know which lenses are you talking about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

Kipon, MOG, and 7-Artisans have L mount lenses (see B&H),. I assume they lcense the L mount spec. 

What is the difference from the L alliance ?

Those lenses don't have any electronics, so they don't need any "inside knowledge" to make them. In essence, it's not much different from making a mechanical lens adapter.

I know very little about international patent law, but I doubt that the L-Mount Alliance would go after them for copying the lens mount. Lots of companies copy lens mounts; it doesn't require much skill. It's the same thing as making a tripod plate that fits on a specific camera body, you just need to measure the original and make a part that will (mostly) fit.

It's "buyer beware" with these lenses, but the risks are low. They may not fit as precisely on the camera, or be optimized for the sensor stack. They definitely won't have built-in image correction and information transfer.

Electronic adapters are a different story. There's a thread in the SL System forum right now about an electronic adapter that can damage the original Leica SL (601).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tom.w.bn said:

Uh. You are so helpful. ☹️   Still don't know which lenses are you talking about.

What is implied, is that if you look up 7-Artisan lenses on the Internett, you will find that your statement that these lenseses are APS-C lenses, is false. They are full frame lenses.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, BernardC said:

Those lenses don't have any electronics, so they don't need any "inside knowledge" to make them. In essence, it's not much different from making a mechanical lens adapter.

I know very little about international patent law, but I doubt that the L-Mount Alliance would go after them for copying the lens mount. Lots of companies copy lens mounts; it doesn't require much skill. It's the same thing as making a tripod plate that fits on a specific camera body, you just need to measure the original and make a part that will (mostly) fit.

It's "buyer beware" with these lenses, but the risks are low. They may not fit as precisely on the camera, or be optimized for the sensor stack. They definitely won't have built-in image correction and information transfer.

Electronic adapters are a different story. There's a thread in the SL System forum right now about an electronic adapter that can damage the original Leica SL (601).

One very useful feature is IBIS. On the Panasonic S1R, you can add the correct focal length manually for optimal IBIS, if the lens does not communicate this to the camera body. I don`t think this is possible with the SL2. So some functionality may still be there on the S1R at least. But as you state, no lens optimization or something like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vor 35 Minuten schrieb Ivar B:

What is implied, is that if you look up 7-Artisan lenses on the Internett, you will find that your statement that these lenseses are APS-C lenses, is false. They are full frame lenses.

 

I'm confused. This thread is about L-Mount lenses. For me that is a lens that does not need an adapter to mount it on a L-Mount camera. When I look up the 7-Artisan products I only find the 55/1.4 for TL and CL. That one is a crop-lens. All the other are M-Mount.

Do we have different views on what "L-Mount lens" means?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, tom.w.bn said:

I'm confused. This thread is about L-Mount lenses. For me that is a lens that does not need an adapter to mount it on a L-Mount camera. When I look up the 7-Artisan products I only find the 55/1.4 for TL and CL. That one is a crop-lens. All the other are M-Mount.

Do we have different views on what "L-Mount lens" means?

Wait a moment - perhaps you have been correct all the time. I checked their www and it may indeed appear that the full frame lenses are M-mount only (and hence an adapter is needed for use on L-mount bodies) and the L-mount lenses are APS-C. I did not know - you learn something every day!

Edited by Ivar B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BernardC said:

Those lenses don't have any electronics, so they don't need any "inside knowledge" to make them. In essence, it's not much different from making a mechanical lens adapter.

I know very little about international patent law, but I doubt that the L-Mount Alliance would go after them for copying the lens mount. Lots of companies copy lens mounts; it doesn't require much skill. It's the same thing as making a tripod plate that fits on a specific camera body, you just need to measure the original and make a part that will (mostly) fit.

It's "buyer beware" with these lenses, but the risks are low. They may not fit as precisely on the camera, or be optimized for the sensor stack. They definitely won't have built-in image correction and information transfer.

Electronic adapters are a different story. There's a thread in the SL System forum right now about an electronic adapter that can damage the original Leica SL (601).

 

1 hour ago, BernardC said:

Those lenses don't have any electronics, so they don't need any "inside knowledge" to make them. In essence, it's not much different from making a mechanical lens adapter.

I know very little about international patent law, but I doubt that the L-Mount Alliance would go after them for copying the lens mount. Lots of companies copy lens mounts; it doesn't require much skill. It's the same thing as making a tripod plate that fits on a specific camera body, you just need the original and make a part that will (mostly) fit.

It's "buyer beware" with these lenses, but the risks are low. They may not fit as precisely on the camera, or be optimized for the sensor stack. They definitely won't have built-in image correction and information transfer.

Electronic adapters are a different story. There's a thread in the SL System forum right now about an electronic adapter that can damage the original Leica SL (601).

Thanks, you are right, these are not "full L mount". they only mount to L camera, but do not have the L coomunication.

Like tones of L mount lens adapter that have the L mount "shape" but no no L mount communication, I assume it is out of L mount IP issue. However, making something that matches exactly Leica's physical shape may be a problem, such as making a dedicated Leica SL or SL or CL bracket. Maybe that is why those stuffs are rare and expensive.

So, these non L alliance lenses are no more than an M mount lens with to L mount communication-less adapter. 

In fact, I doubt it makes much sense in business. Since they all have M mount version, I would simply buy the M mount version and add the whatever camera mount adapter. In should be cheaper and easier to sell, produce, and manage just the M mount version. 

Now I also noticed B&H has a notice that the 7-Artisans L mount lenses are discontinued. Maybe that is rhe kove for the law issue, or the business issue.

Edited by Einst_Stein

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue., Read more about our Privacy Policy