Leica Film Door Engraving

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi

To all the experts and collectors out there. Did Leica ever produce this filmdoor with the engraving? Or it was done by a 3rd party. Someone claimed that its very rare. 

Need clarification

Cheers

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Never seen... but I don't look with much care at M bodies for sale... by sure my M3 and M4 haven't it ... nor my former M2 ...  it doesn't look like a 3rd party rework... and the fonts seem rather in accordance to Leitz style of that times (not pretending to be an expert on typography... but I look at the bottom bar of "E".. at the position of the horizontal bar of "A"...)

I'm curios to see if someone else has something to tell about...  

Edited by luigi bertolotti

.. I still think it's too "refined" to be the work of a 3rd party... made so well for what ? 🤥 It's an integral part of a notoriously "made in Germany" camera....

I have a hipotesis... could it be an original SPARE ?  Maybe for some strange (duty ?) reason, when Leitz had to deliver a spare part (in some countries only ? no local official distributor or Leitz branch ?) it had to bear the country of origin... 🤥

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 12:33 AM, sandro said:

Luigi, very ingenious but isn't that strange? When the country of origin has to be mentioned, usually a kind of sticker (sometimes hard to remove) was used, at least as far as I am aware.

Lex

True... and my one is just an idea 🙄... a sticker... would be un-elegant on the back... 😉and the interior is someway "critical" (there is the film pressure plate) : those were "golden years" for Leitz.. they could afford to add a std. paint filled engraving...

1 hour ago, luigi bertolotti said:

Have you ever seen a different language for this "made in Germany" on Leiz items ?

Now that you mention it, Luigi, no I haven't, so a good point.  There's DBP for Deutsche Bundes-Patent or DRP for Deutsche Reichs-Patent on Barnack cameras but then "Wetzlar Germany" is written beneath.

Pete.