Making the jump to Leica!!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone,

Right now I shoot Fujifilm with an X100V and X-Pro3 w/small primes and really enjoy using them, but lately I find myself watching/reading a lot of Leica reviews and the Leica Q is my main interest as the fixed lens appeals to me as the X100 series does.

Has anyone here made a similar type of move to Leica? 

Would like to hear your thoughts? 

Thank you for your time.

Mark

• Like 1

Mark.  Firstly are you the same by-tor from twitter!   If so, hi from privatedoc,   The gulf in handling, iq and just the whole experience makes the ‘jump’ to Leica worth every penny. I have had a lot of xpro 1 and 2 experience and yes, they are pretty good but try a Leica, cl/tl or Q2 and you will realise just how far short of the mark they fall.   I most recently went to the Q2 from a CL and xpro-2.......the full frame experience is amazing, I spent years convincing myself that aps-c sensors were just fine but the first few test shots from the Q2 quickly showed up their weaknesses.  The crop-ability is really useful and I’ve now flogged most of my gear except for a nice novoflex triopod....the Q2 does it all for me and being a single entity, I’m carrying it daily, even with me to the surgery!   The best camera is the one you always have with you! 

have fun choosing

ps, big fan of the Canadian trio too(sadly now only 2)

john

• Like 2

vor 1 Minute schrieb johntobias:

It’s that old Leica black magic......

more addictive than naughty medicines!

🤣🤣🙄🙄🙄🤣🤣🤣

Its the 3 dimensional and the colours . . . Its exceptional but true 🥱

• Like 1

2 hours ago, By-tor said:

Hello everyone,

Right now I shoot Fujifilm with an X100V and X-Pro3 w/small primes and really enjoy using them, but lately I find myself watching/reading a lot of Leica reviews and the Leica Q is my main interest as the fixed lens appeals to me as the X100 series does.

Has anyone here made a similar type of move to Leica? 

Would like to hear your thoughts? 

Thank you for your time.

Mark

I really dislike modern digital cameras other than Leicas, not because I'm a snob but because of their simplicity. You will love the Leica Q. Very little gets in the way. I encourage you to try one in a shop. I recently tried a Panasonic Lumix DMC‑LX100. I had it a few months (less a couple of weeks getting it repaired for sensor cleaning). The results were fantastic and I really wanted to get on with it for ski touring and hiking. However, there were so many buttons and dials on it which couldn't be disabled and were easily inadvertently activated that I would often be thrown into a rage by it as I tried to figure out WTF it was doing. I sold it at quite a loss. By comparison, when I bought my Q a couple of weeks before heading to Nepal for a month, I picked it up and effortlessly got on with it from day one. It, and the M digitals, are the only digital cameras with which I've had that effortless experience. All I want is the film camera experience in a digital. Try the Q. You won't regret it.

Pete

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

41 minutes ago, johntobias said:

Mark.  Firstly are you the same by-tor from twitter!   If so, hi from privatedoc,   The gulf in handling, iq and just the whole experience makes the ‘jump’ to Leica worth every penny. I have had a lot of xpro 1 and 2 experience and yes, they are pretty good but try a Leica, cl/tl or Q2 and you will realise just how far short of the mark they fall.   I most recently went to the Q2 from a CL and xpro-2.......the full frame experience is amazing, I spent years convincing myself that aps-c sensors were just fine but the first few test shots from the Q2 quickly showed up their weaknesses.  The crop-ability is really useful and I’ve now flogged most of my gear except for a nice novoflex triopod....the Q2 does it all for me and being a single entity, I’m carrying it daily, even with me to the surgery!   The best camera is the one you always have with you! 

have fun choosing

ps, big fan of the Canadian trio too(sadly now only 2)

john

No sorry I don't use Twitter..    I also carry my X100V everywhere and it drives my wife crazy sometimes...

Thanks everyone for posting.  I wish I knew someone local that had a Q or a shop near by that carried them to be able handle and shoot with one, but I don't.  As all my camera purchases I do them blind without being able to try one before purchase.  

Where are you mark?  I’m in Ayrshire and would be happily to let you play with mine ( after lockdown) 

I bought my Q2 blind too.  I’d done my research and knew why and what I wanted it for.... it’s a big chunk of cash so do your research and enjoy!

(ps I have a fellow doc who uses By-Tor as his twitter name-another big rush fan!)

Just got mine delivered and can't wait to get moving on it.  Quick question to others.  Is there supposed to be a full "user manual" included or just a "Quick Start" manual as mine came with the latter only.  If so I am assuming one just need to download the full user manual. Thanks in advance

Big Rush fan myself, but I've only seen them live 6 times.  Wish I could have seen more.  The first was my fondest memory as a buddy and I drove from Southern Michigan to Toronto to see A Farewell To Kings tour back in 1977.  Yes I'm old..

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, By-tor said:

No sorry I don't use Twitter..    I also carry my X100V everywhere and it drives my wife crazy sometimes...

Thanks everyone for posting.  I wish I knew someone local that had a Q or a shop near by that carried them to be able handle and shoot with one, but I don't.  As all my camera purchases I do them blind without being able to try one before purchase.  

try Rental companies...    

5 minutes ago, johntobias said:

Kings tour in 1978 in Glasgow was my first concert of theirs , I was 15 !   Marvellous 

I was 17 myself...

4 minutes ago, johntobias said:

Sorry for dragging this off topic.   

now, anyone in Michigan who can help mark out!   

beware mark, once held it’s a must-have. 🙄🙄🙄

I live in North Carolina now, but thanks...