Needle in a haystack - tracing a camera that belonged to my late father

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m trying desperately to trace my late fathers Leica camera that we sold in the UK approximately 15 years ago. He bought it in approx 1940 and I think it was a Leica 111 with tan coloured case. He used it most of  his life and loved it. He sadly died a few months back at the age of 101 years. He had a rich and wonderful life. I now find myself thinking about him and how much the camera is a memory of him. I would dearly love to buy it back but I have no record of the serial number. I think it was sold via eBay (but not 100% sure). I know this is complete madness but if anyone remembers buying this camera from me I would be extremely grateful to know about it. My eBay username is ‘makedoo’. Thank you. 

Edited by Makedoo
Added more info
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forum

Do your emails from eBay go back that far? If so, the buyer’s details should be there. 

It may have been sold on a few times by now in which case your search will be nigh on impossible. 

The Wayback Machine, which is a not-for-profit digital archive of the World Wide Web, might be a good place to start if your eBay history doesn't go back that far.  If you can find the camera's serial number form the original listing or perhaps from documents your departed father left behind it's likely to be a massive help.  The more unique details you can acquire and search on will help significantly too.

Pete.

There are other things that could jog a buyers mind but that you may not want to put into the description. I have bought cameras and can sometimes remember the region they came from, or the price I bought it at (especially if it was a 'good' or 'bad' buy), any accessories that came with it, any other story that may have gone with the description etc.