Hello & Buying Question

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello All,

New member here, based in HK, and I'm relatively new to the Leica experience. I've been researching and looking in to the Q2 now for some time and have decided to pull the pin and purchase one. An M is on the horizon but let's start of with the Q2 first. Baby steps! However, in the Leica boutique here in HK at the weekend I was shocked to learn the local price. HK$47,000. This translates to over US$6,000 or EUR5,600 at current exchange rates. So my question is what benefits are there purchasing directly from the Leica store and paying the local premium here verses buying on-line from either a Leica store or authorised dealer in the US and saving myself US$1,000? That extra US$1,000 goes along way to buying a case, thumb grip, memory card and strap / rope to carry it on. When I asked the sales team in the Leica store why the pricing in HK is so much more than US or Europe they didn't really have an answer. And when I asked them for benefits for buying direct from the Leica store they just said the after purchase service they would provide and that I could stop by anytime to talk with them and discuss anything with regards to the camera.

So what is the consensus here? Is it worth the extra dollar to purchase from the Leica store or should I buy on-line from the US from an authorised Leica dealer and save a thousand bucks? These cameras are an expensive piece of kit and I like to look after my kit in the best condition. So if it is better to purchase directly from the Leica store then I'm more than willing to do so. Just don't want to throw money away either. Thoughts and opinions welcome and I look forward to interacting with you all more once I have a Leica in my hands.

Thanks,

Delirious123

No. 1 rule in my country, especially in the present situation: support your local dealer. In addition, it may pay off in the future when you are going to buy other items with them or get support for the products you purchased there.

Frank

• Like 1

I agree that customs and tarrifs could be a consideration. When I first switched from Canon to the Leica Q I wanted to return the Q about 5 days after I bought it (long story short, I didn't know how to use it or understand some of the limitations). The Leica Store wouldn't let me... so if returning the camera is a consideration I would advise making sure you know the return policy and buy from a place you feel confident will help you return it if you need to.

Thanks for the positive feedback all and I definitely want to support the local Leica Store here in Hong Kong. They've not only had a bad time through Covid-19 but the protests spanning from the summer of last year through to still on-going now have also hugely impacted business. FWIW I've been picking up some nice luxury watches (we'll leave that for another forum) from local authorised dealers here helping them out as they have been suffering hugely as well.

Other items in the store including the M range of Leica's have pricing that is much closer to the US & European pricing. I don't know why the Q2 has been priced so high in HK compared to other countries. This is obviously not the stores fault as they are just pricing as HQ directs.

Cheers,

Delirious.

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

Two potential drawbacks: Customs and tax hassle and the need to get service and warranty from the factory.

Taxes and custom duties are not an issue in HK. Hong Kong is a free port and there are no customs or taxed applicable accept on alcohol, tobacco and hydrocarbon oils.

So really it just comes down to the warranty and support. 

Cheers,

Delirious. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Charging $6000 USD for a Q2 seems like price gouging when you can get a Q2 for $5000 USD elsewhere:  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1464271-REG/leica_19050_q2_digital_camera.html

That $1000 USD will get you a Q2 handgrip and three extra Q2 batteries.

I would prefer to do business locally and support the nearest to me Leica dealer, but not if that dealer is going to price gouge.  JMHO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delirious123 said:

Taxes and custom duties are not an issue in HK. Hong Kong is a free port and there are no customs or taxed applicable accept on alcohol, tobacco and hydrocarbon oils.

So really it just comes down to the warranty and support. 

Cheers,

Delirious. 

And the warranty and support by Leica Wetzlar is excellent, and they are only one UPS day away... Buy at one of the reputed dealers.

8 hours ago, Delirious123 said:

An M is on the horizon but let's start of with the Q2 first. Baby steps!

Save all the money, included the extra $1,000, and buy later an M.

I was in a similar situation three years ago: get a Leica Q now, or wait more for an M. The Leica Q2 is an excellent camera, but if you dream with a Leica M, go for it. You can be very happy with a Q2, but it sounds like a compromise. I didn't have enough money, so I sold some stuffs and got an M10 six month later. I took one flight to another country to get a better deal, just for the M10.

It was one of the best photographic decision I ever made.

Just saying my honest opinion

6 minutes ago, Dennis said:

Save all the money, included the extra $1,000, and buy later an M.

I was in a similar situation three years ago: get a Leica Q now, or wait more for an M. The Leica Q2 is an excellent camera, but if you dream with a Leica M, go for it. You can be very happy with a Q2, but it sounds like a compromise. I didn't have enough money, so I sold some stuffs and got an M10 six month later. I took one flight to another country to get a better deal, just for the M10.

It was one of the best photographic decision I ever made.

Just saying my honest opinion

Leica Love You..My 100% Admiration..   L

• Haha 1

I had a similar experience when purchasing a Q2 in Moscow.  It listed for the equivalent of $6,000,  but considering that I live 11 months out of the year here, having local support and a place to drop it off for service was what swayed me to get it in Russia.  The staff at the Leica store has been very helpful and was even able to track down a replacement eye relief ring for my M10 for about $10 and had it next day.  Especially with customs being an arcane, impenetrable mess here, local service is critical.  

I recommend buying from the dealer. Any problems or service will be much easier if you have a relationship. 

Nothing wrong with trying to get some discount off the $6000. First rule of negotiating is if you don’t ask, you won’t get it! 

The Q2 is a fantastic camera. Super sharp lens / sensor combo. Terrific EVF. Weather sealing. It’s a fantastic travel camera. Go for it. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks to all for your feedback. The Leica Q2 is the camera for me so that's what I'm going with. It's just where I buy it from now. The Leica Store in HK is HK$47,000 where as if I buy from somewhere like B&H online at the retail price of US$4,995 that would be the equivalent to HK$39,000 right now. That's a saving of just over US$1,000. The shipping costs including insurance would be just under US$200 so still a saving of US$800.

I'll ask the team at the Leica Store if they can offer any discount but they wouldn't last weekend and I suspect that as it is Leica and not just a dealer that they cannot. If they can give 10% I would definitely do it.

Cheers,

Delirious.

Well,
i understand that 1000$ is about 20% more than the normal price for a Q2 and i have no clue why the Q2 is so expensive in Hong Kong.
As i live partially in Costa Rica i know very well this problem, things are usually double the price than elsewhere, but that is how it is.

What i do sometimes for expensive things is to fly tu US and buy it there and then bring it back as my personal good and "smuggle" it in.
Also i bought my Q2 in Germany just on the other side of the border from a big Leica Shop but the reason was not the lower price,
the only reason was that the Q2 was still not available in Switzerland and they made me a reasonable offer to buy my Q back.

Including a hefty 400$ import duty bill i paid about the same than in Switzerland as Germany has 21% VAT whil Switzerland only 8,
so i got back 13% of VAT.

You have Taiwan, Macao, etc nearby so a weekend trip over there may save you some money at least, but i have no idea of asian pricing.

However, keep in mind that bringing the caera back without declaring it is most likely illegal and you either get a fine or even worst, the camera sized.
Also i don't know what your local <leica Store will do in case of problem, usually dealerships still have to attend the clients,
but often they priortitize their own clients so you may have loger times to fix a problem.

Chris

1 hour ago, lucerne said:

Meteor Hong Kong appears to have an Q2 for 33.8k$..   It may be an opened box but is listed as new.  

It’s worth checking out.

http://www.meteor.com.hk/shop/en/leica-digital-camera/5288-leica-q2.html

That is interesting but being too cheap makes me somewhat nervous. It looks like they have a physical store. I may pay them a visit at the weekend and inquire. Another HK store that is an Authorised Leica dealer has it listed for HK$43,000. I just can't understand why the Leica Stores themselves are pricing it so high.

4 hours ago, Anakronox said:

Also consider sales tax.  Since I would not have shipped it from B&H to Moscow due to the customs issues, in the end I only ended up paying around a $400 premium.  

No Sales Tax in Hong Kong so it would enter duty and tax free. Hong Kong is a free port so no issues there. 

As for travelling and buying elsewhere unfortunately given the current situation and HK having a 14 day quarantine policy for all travellers I can't see myself travelling anywhere very soon. And that includes Macau!

Cheers,

Delirious.

I agree with your caution about the meteor offer. However, there may be a good reason.  I’d ask them to put it aside for your weekend visit.  It may not be truly new, but perfect in every way.  

I used to be a regular visitor to HK.  My favourite city.   Hope to return next year. 
good luck.