Is there any app running on current iOS (13.4.1) to connect to C112 camera?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been trying to connect with wifi to my Leica C112 camera. After some difficulty (stupidity of using a zero in the password, where you don't know if it is a capital O or a zero), I have managed to get both an iPad (air 2) and iPhone to connect wirelessly direct to the camera's SSID. However the camera seems to want to find an App called Leica Image Shuttle, which I don't have installed on my iOS devices. I do have version 3 of this installed on my MacBook Pro but again, although I can connect to the SSID of the camera, the app does not find the camera/will not connect. 

I seem to recall in the past having a camera specific app for the C112 and Image shuttle as well on my iOS devices but these have vanished. Neither of these can be found on the app store, so I assume they must be what Apple call: "Deprecated"  or will not run on the current iOS 13.4.1. Is there any app to use on iOS devices to connect to a C112 or has that now become an obsolete and no longer supported device? At the moment I am just removing the card and using an SD card reader. I am thinking of giving this camera to one of my grandchildren, as I just never use it and would like them to be able to use an iOS control device, like I occasionally do with my SL601 and CL, plus to use for downloading images without resorting to using a card reader. 

Wilson

I  thought I might have found a work around. I found that if you connect to a wifi LAN, you can then go into manual wifi settings on the camera and find the IP address that the LAN's DHCP has allocated to the C112 (192.168.1.147 in my case). A browser sadly, although locating the IP address on my local wifi network, cannot connect to the camera. I was hoping for an image dump from the SD card  like you used to be able to get from the SL and CL before Leica idiotically deleted this very useful function in an FW update, presumably on the grounds that nobody using a Leica camera, ever uses a laptop - DOH! The version 3 of Image Shuttle that I have on my MBP, has no facility to enter an IP address, as I suspect that might work if it did. 

Wilson

37 minutes ago, jaapv said:

can apps like Snapseed or PS Express find it?

Jaap,

Afraid not and also not in any of the other photo apps I have on my iPad. 

I think a firmware update for the camera plus an extension of the camera selection menu in Fotos will be needed before connection can be established, with a current iOS app. Given Leica's recent poor record of dumping service and their customers in respect of any of their product, where they no longer perceive as earning from them, I don't foresee much  progress being made on C112 connectivity.

However, I went into some old back up hard discs and found a legacy copy of Leica Image Shuttle for iPhone. I  reinstalled it on my iPhone SE and much to my surprise, it does run in iOS 13.4.1. As soon as I got that running and connected to the camera in direct wifi mode, the software connected and I can access the SD card and control the camera. I just suspect that an update from Apple will kill the app sooner rather than later. 

Wilson

• Thanks 1

Just now, wlaidlaw said:

Jaap,

Afraid not and also not in any of the other photo apps I have on my iPad. 

I think a firmware update for the camera plus an extension of the camera selection menu in Fotos will be needed before connection can be established, with a current iOS app. Given Leica's recent poor record of dumping service and their customers in respect of any of their product, where they no longer perceive as earning from them, I don't foresee much  progress being made on C112 connectivity.

However, I went into some old back up hard discs and found a legacy copy of Leica Image Shuttle for iPhone. I  reinstalled it on my iPhone SE and much to my surprise, it does run in iOS 13.4.1. As soon as I got that running and connected to the camera in direct wifi mode, the software connected and I can access the SD card and control the camera. I just suspect that an update from Apple will kill the app sooner rather than later. 

Wilson

Maybe make it available on the forum?

2 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Maybe make it available on the forum?

I have tried to extract the app but with no success to load it onto my iPad. I connected the HDD with the iPhone back up to a 2006 iMac and fired up an obsolete version of iTunes to load it onto my iPhone, with the iMac disconnected from the internet, so that it could not access a later iPhone back up from iCloud. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to extract it from a back up HDD, I will happily try it. 

Wilson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Aloha, from what I understand, you are saying you have everything on an External HD - If so, on the older Mac you can disconnect the Internet, plug in the External HD and use the OS + App via the Start Up Disc... L

I think the problem is that the app is buried inside an old encrypted back up for my iPhone on the external hard disc. At first when I connected the phone it wanted to download an update for the back up to match the iOS version in the phone, which is when I disconnected the wifi on both the phone and iMac. I had never backed up an iPad to this iMac so when I connected my iPad to try the same thing, there were no installed apps showing on the iMac for the iPad. I went into music/iTunes/Mobile Applications and oddly although Leica SL app is in there, Leica Image Shuttle isn't, which is why I feel it must be inside a back up. I have tried copying the app, using "back up app purchases to computer",  from my phone to iTunes 12.6.2.3 on the iMac but it would not allow me to do that until the OS versions matched. I was actually very surprised it allowed me to copy the app to the phone from the back up, given the OS mismatch. I had moved a whole lot of stuff from the internal 1TB hybrid drive on the iMac to external HDD's to make more space for archived DNG images, amongst which were things like various iphone encrypted back ups. 

Wilson

I just Googled:-  Leica Image Shuttle. Lots of available downloads, including one for the C - cannot someone like Tamarkin help?   L

Edited by lykaman

Sadly all the links for Image Shuttle for Leica C Version 2.2.0 for iOS, lead back to the App Store where it says the app is not available in my region but I guess in reality in all regions. I presume that it was withdrawn on the basis that Fotos would replace it, except for the C112 it doesn't. 

Wilson

It must be your location.. Downloaded with no issues (USA)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

That is the version 3.7 app for Mac which does not connect to the C112 wirelessly but only by cable. I already have that on my various Macs. What I am looking for is the .ipa file to install the post OS 11 version of Leica C image shuttle for iPhone on my iPad. I think the version I have on my iPhone is 2.1.1. I must have looked at 30 or more offers for this file but they all lead back to the app store. Leica never made this app available themselves but only via the app store. 

Wilson

32 minutes ago, Keith (M) said:

For what it is worth I have v2.2.0 on my iPhoneXS (presumably a carry-over from previous iPhones), just made a direct wi-fi connection with our C and was able to have full remote control.

Keith, I think that is what I have on one of my iPhones (an SE) and now that I have checked on the info on the app, it is also 2.2.0 not the 2.1.1 that is being offered but blocked on the app store. I just wish I could find the .ipa file so that I could install it on my iPad and let my daughter have a copy for her iPad so that her children could use it with the C112. 

Wilson

15 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

Sadly all the links for Image Shuttle for Leica C Version 2.2.0 for iOS, lead back to the App Store where it says the app is not available in my region but I guess in reality in all regions. I presume that it was withdrawn on the basis that Fotos would replace it, except for the C112 it doesn't. 

Wilson

VPN ;)

Jaap, 

My VPN subscription ran out a month ago and I  will wait until I can get back to France before buying another three years. The one I was buying, Nord, seemed to have deteriorated in performance during my last three year subscription, was no longer BBC iPlayer friendly and a lot of the servers had become very slow. I suspect I will probably change to Express VPN which seems the current best performer. I don't think the Image Shuttle iOS app 2.2.0 is actually available elsewhere, I think that is just a standard message for deprecated/withdrawn apps. The link that Lykaman posted was for the Mac not the iOS app. You can download that from Leica UK's site and a number of other places and I have it already. That only connects via a cable to the C112. Leica posted back in 2017 that the Image Shuttle app was not going to be updated and would probably be withdrawn, as it was replaced by Fotos. 

Wilson

2 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

Jaap, 

My VPN subscription ran out a month ago and I  will wait until I can get back to France before buying another three years. The one I was buying, Nord, seemed to have deteriorated in performance during my last three year subscription, was no longer BBC iPlayer friendly and a lot of the servers had become very slow. I suspect I will probably change to Express VPN which seems the current best performer. I don't think the Image Shuttle iOS app 2.2.0 is actually available elsewhere, I think that is just a standard message for deprecated/withdrawn apps. The link that Lykaman posted was for the Mac not the iOS app. You can download that from Leica UK's site and a number of other places and I have it already. That only connects via a cable to the C112. Leica posted back in 2017 that the Image Shuttle app was not going to be updated and would probably be withdrawn, as it was replaced by Fotos. 

Wilson

Overall, Leica are giving us the Thin edge of the stick..Damn Annoying..  Take Care  L

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
please send the file to image shuttle

• 4 months later...
On 5/13/2020 at 9:50 PM, lykaman said:

It must be your location.. Downloaded with no issues (USA)

Hello lykaman, greetings from Brasil! Could you please provide us a link to the ZIP file related in that imagem? Thanks in advance!