Capture One Pro 20 NOW ON SALE

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Rokkor said:

Any other sources to get it at discount?

It was on sale at B&H just a couple of months ago. Not as good of a sale, but significant. If I were you I'd put it in a wish list there, and check on it every week or so. It seems to go on sale for about 2 weeks at a time. Very limited data behind my statement, LOL.

On 5/28/2020 at 1:32 PM, otto.f said:

I see a post of May 19 that says it’s repaired now for the M10-D, wonder if that wipes the M10P clean too:

I‘m the person who tested the current version with an M10-D. Even though the release notes don‘t mention the fixed M10-D it now works without over-saturation or color-shifts.

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

I used Version 4 with my M8, but then switched to Rawtherapee. Having tried C1 Version 20 and previously tried version 12, I think that I prefer the latter - but I've yet to find anywhere that is still offering it for sale. Version 11 was being offered by Amazon last week at a price that seemed a bit high for an outdated product, but perhaps copies of version 12 will eventually turn up. 

On 6/2/2020 at 9:26 PM, Rokkor said:

Any other sources to get it at discount?

21 minutes ago, roydonian said:

but I've yet to find anywhere that is still offering it for sale

Having just clicked on the link in the first post, it's at $199 at the moment.

That is an incredible price as the standard price for me (in Belgium) is €349 --> approx $390 !!!

Edited by ianman

Am 20.6.2020 um 16:58 schrieb ianman:

Having just clicked on the link in the first post, it's at $199 at the moment.

That is an incredible price as the standard price for me (in Belgium) is €349 --> approx $390 !!!

That is a really good price. I would advise to go for it. Did the same. For this price this is a bargain and worth it. 

Guest BlackBarn

It mentions a caution that a USA Export License May be required for this product.   As I live outside the USA - does nobody know if that is the case?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, BlackBarn said:

It mentions a caution that a USA Export License May be required for this product.   As I live outside the USA - does nobody know if that is the case?

I'm guessing this is a standard message they put up for any software. Phase One is a Danish company (IRRC) so the software is not of US origin anyway. Not sure why the US gov thinks it has control over where it can or can't go or whether it needs an export licence.

As I said earlier, versions 11 or 12 of C1 would do me nicely, being compatible with the files from my M-D. So I need to find a dealer that still has either in stock, or can offer me a second-hand copy. But the only offering I can find is v11 on Amazon, but this is priced at more than £250 - almost as expensive as v20, which is £299 on the Capture One website (there is a field in which one can enter a discount code, if anyone knows of a code that is current).

I'm a great believer in the virtues of older software, which is often more focussed on basic functionality than endless 'bells & whistles'. As Jager said in a different thread, "Mature software products such as Capture One, Lightroom, Photoshop, Word, etc., have most of their "core" functionality established early on, in the first half-dozen or so releases." One suggestion I've seen in another thread is to process pics through Adobe DNG converter, then feed the end result into the C1 v4 that came with my M8. My first experiments suggest that this may be a viable solution, but the results are not quite as good as I was getting when I tried V11 and V12. It would be a zero-cost solution, an attractive proposition given that I've near-retired, and living on a pension.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roydonian said:

I'm a great believer in the virtues of older software, which is often more focussed on basic functionality than endless 'bells & whistles'. As Jager said in a different thread, "Mature software products such as Capture One, Lightroom, Photoshop, Word, etc., have most of their "core" functionality established early on, in the first half-dozen or so releases."

I couldn't agree more. I used to use Adobe products *a lot*, I was a wizard in Photoshop and Illustrator. There wasn't much you couldn't do in Photoshop V2.5 (which must have been the version I was using at the time ) if you had enough RAM and hard drive. I remember the studio where I was working had to buy a top-end Macintosh loaded with RAM (probably 16MB) and a 40MB hard drive for one specific image I was working on! The application itself fit easily on a a single 800k disk 😂

As the end of my 30-day trial period of the v12 version of Capture One Pro drew to an end, I decided that this was better-suited to my requirements than v20. So I got out my bank card and selected to the option to buy a licence. But choosing that option took me to the page on the Phase One website for ordering v20.

I'm now wondering that if I do find a copy of v12 for sale, will the Phase One site accept the licence number or insist that I purchase v20?

Having discovered several years ago that I could not reinstall a product-activated software package that I'd purchased because the software company had gone out of business, I'm now wary of using product-activated software. Perhaps I should stick with Rawtherapee. The end results from that open-source program can match those of C1, but require a fair amount of work with the program's many control sliders. However I'm semi-retired and living on a pension, so have more time than money.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got an email from Capture One with a discount code. Don’t know if it will work for others, but worth a try. I already purchased. Fine Print: if used on a subscription discount only applies to first payment.

Here is the code:  TAKE25OFF

25% discount

I received the same email. A 25% reduction on £299 is certainly better than the £256 that Amazon is currently asking for C1 version 11, and according to the Phase One website, a C1 v20 serial can also be used on earlier versions of the program.

I'm currently running sample pics through C1 v12, Lightroom, PhotoNinja, and RawTherapee. The best results so far are from C1 and Rawtherapee, but a significant amount of 'slider pushing' is needed in the latter program to match what C1 autoadjust-on-import achieves. PhotoNinja and RawTherapee both have an impressive ability to rescue 'blown' highlights, but PhotoNinja sometimes gets these really wrong.

On 6/22/2020 at 9:07 PM, ianman said:

I'm guessing this is a standard message they put up for any software. Phase One is a Danish company (IRRC) so the software is not of US origin anyway. Not sure why the US gov thinks it has control over where it can or can't go or whether it needs an export licence.

I have just installed CaptureOne20 at the discount price but I paid a Dutch Company or so my credit Card statement says.

• 1 month later...

Just into my mailbox, Capture One on sale thru the weekend (don't know if this is USA only) for 30% off with code: LABORDAY30

Not that I am any kind of experienced user, but I have been using it now for both B&W and color, and am very satisfied. It is rare that I need to bring something into Photoshop any more.