Brand New 240 M E typ(240) 10981 - sensor scratch

Advertisement (gone after registration)

TO all,

Just got a brand new 2019 model 240 M E.   Took some picutres and saw a major blotch in the pics.  I took a long exposure with the lens off and discovered a major mark on the sensor.  I do not think this is dust as the camera was just out of the plastic baggie.  comments?  My natural response is to return it, but it was the last one available...my loss.  David

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

53 minutes ago, drpops said:

TO all,

Just got a brand new 2019 model 240 M E.   Took some picutres and saw a major blotch in the pics.  I took a long exposure with the lens off and discovered a major mark on the sensor.  I do not think this is dust as the camera was just out of the plastic baggie.  comments?  My natural response is to return it, but it was the last one available...my loss.  David

For a brand new camera there seems to be a fair amount of wear & tear on the lens mount? 

It could be dust or oil, which is not unusual. Have you tried using a rocket blower & if that doesn't clear it, wet cleaning the sensor glass?

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought it directly from AMAZON as "New"..... it was new, I have no clue how the sensor issue got past Leitz.  This was not a refurb.  Camera on its way back to AMAZON for a full refund.  Happy ending except, no longer avail at the price I paid.  I bought one of the last two and when I did, they added $1000 to the last one's price.  So,....... I am disappointed in not just buying the other one for the same price

The vertical line in the roadway at the crossing walk is the result of the sensor issue.  Other than that, I was delighted with the image quality and handling of the camera.

10 minutes ago, drpops said:

The vertical line in the roadway at the crossing walk is the result of the sensor issue.  Other than that, I was delighted with the image quality and handling of the camera.

Looks like a smudge. A simple wet cleaning should make that go way. Look through the forum here or google the instructions for materials and the process. It’s not as difficult as it sounds. If you are not willing to do it take it to a reputable dealer to perform it for you.

• Like 1

$1000 off is for sure micky mouse stuff.

there is a white circle seal, although it's easy to cheat but was it double taped or re-sealed? 

at last, why da hack you didn't even "TRY" to clean it for the $1000 sake.  you have 30 days to get it done dang!

Edited by jaeger

I had something like the on the sensor after about a year of use, I had no idea how it gets there.  When I swab it, it's like something thick and soft.  It needed few passes to completely remove it.  It might be the grease from the focus arm mechanics...

9 hours ago, tsleica said:

Its either a return..or a demo model

that's why I asked about the circle sticker condition.  double tape is returned, new sticker could be demo or just simply brand new.

anyway, the OP has returned it and seems to be a hit and run member. 

it was NOT buyers remorse.  I was delighted with the purchase.  My lack of experience in cleaning sensors ( which I equate to performing eye surgery) was part of it and concern regarding damaging the sensor and then "The camera is mine to keep". I paid like 4095 .... great price by my standard.  The last one on amazon is 5095...... that price gives one pause.  

On 5/12/2020 at 7:32 AM, tsleica said:

But once he starts trying to clean/fix it..the camera is his..

If you've cleaned the sensor how would anybody else know you've cleaned the sensor? Yes if you've tried to clean it and further damaged it returning it may be problematic, but as sensor cleaning can be done by a half-trained monkey and is a normal part of owning the camera what is there to lose?

The mark shown in the photo looks exactly like a heavy lump of dust sitting on the sensor, hence the out of focus edges. If it was a scratch it would have hard edges. A simple wet clean would probably have shifted it. And while it shouldn't have been there as soon as the bag comes off all bets are off as to what is floating around in the atmosphere or falling off the first lens that gets fitted. It's the sort of thing that could happen after taking only a few photos, or after hundreds, either way dust will get on the sensor sooner or later.

250swb.......the net time I will be more purposeful in the cleaning process.  It is something I have never needed to do.....

thank  you for the precise diagnostics regarding the issue.  As an engineer, I greatly appreciate this.  regards,

David