A Lens For My Leica IIIa

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, lykaman said:

Well,  I've jumped into the older market, purchased 2 lllf Red Dials, a 50mm Summicron F2  & 50mm Summitar F2  to start the ball rolling.. These are for gifting when I pass.. Will be looking out for a couple of nice 35mm lenses & maybe a 135mm,  in the near future. . L

How are you getting on with the small viewfinder/rangefinder windows? I was pleasantly surprised how well they work.

5 minutes ago, pedaes said:

How are you getting on with the small viewfinder/rangefinder windows? I was pleasantly surprised how well they work.

Cameras & Lenses have not arrived yet, being CLA'd..   Myself (as my eyesight is very nearly zero) for testing I will use Hyperfocal focus..  I had a lllf many many moons ago, managed with the v/f ok..  L

Edited by lykaman

Just an update: I have ordered an f3.5 5cm uncoated Elmar lens which, hopefully, will be despatched tomorrow, although it might take a while given the current Coronavirus situation, as it is coming from overseas. Once I have it to hand, I will be in a position to test both camera and lens and see if it all works as it should. I will have the camera CLA'd at some point but, for now, I've spent pretty much all I can, so that will have to wait.

The lens's serial number dates it as a 1934 build, two years prior to the camera. It seems in very good condition for its age, with only a few slight marks in the optics, very few scratches or other marks (certainly nothing major) on the lens body and virtually no brassing.  

And the Silette? I started a roll of film in it and, after ten or so shots, I noticed something a bit different about it - my father's old Silette had the distance marked in meters and the film speed in DIN, but this one has markings in feet and ASA. An export model for the USA perhaps? It does mean though that I have half a roll of film with wrongly exposed out of focus pictures, so I think I'll discard that film and try again with another roll. The other thing is that, before I do take it out again, I'm getting another exposure meter.  The one I have, which hasn't been used for years, appears to be a bit dodgy, as it was giving me readings that just didn't seem right.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a IIIf a few months ago and picked up a decent priced and good condition Summicron collapsible for it.  Last week I painstakingly removed all the hard plastic vulcanite covering from the IIIf and put on a natural leather cover on it.  It feels much better in the hand with the natural cover but, man, removing that vulcanite with a box cutter took hours and I'm not sure I'd ever want to do that procedure again.  Anyway, I just ordered a 3.5 Elmar for the IIIf as I want to have an even smaller more pocket-able lens.  The Summicron is great but even collapsed is still kind of big.  The Elmar I ordered is according the seller from 1947, so I guess being post-war it is coated?  Either way, its supposed to be in good condition.  Looking forward to trying it out. 

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have two of the three ultimate LTM lenses, the 1999 year special edition 50 Summicron V and 50 Summilux III e46. I have to admit I have not used the 50 Summilux much on my LTM cameras, as it mostly sits on my M7 with an LTM to M ring but I have used the 50 Summicron V on my IIIa and Reid and Sigrist III-2 and as you might expect, the results are excellent. This Summicron V is by far the best of the three Summicron V's I have owned at various times.

Sadly my IIIa has been away so long (22 months so far) for a CLA and lubricate of its 2 speed MOOLY, that I have almost forgotten what it looks like. As it still has not even been started I have now asked a number of times for it to be returned to me so I can get someone else to do the work but nothing has appeared. Starting to get more than a bit irritated. 

Wilson

I also like the 50 Summilux (1959) on the IIIa camera, especially when it is a black paint one.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

On 7/1/2020 at 2:31 PM, wlaidlaw said:

Sadly my IIIa has been away so long (22 months so far) for a CLA and lubricate of its 2 speed MOOLY, that I have almost forgotten what it looks like. As it still has not even been started I have now asked a number of times for it to be returned to me so I can get someone else to do the work but nothing has appeared. Starting to get more than a bit irritated.

Wow, can you please message me who it is?  Im about to mail one out and want to make sure it isn't the same shop.