Would the Leica Q be right for me?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

New to the forum here. I currently own the Sony A6000 and feel that I've outgrown it. Once COVID lightens up, I'm planning on going on a year traveling around the world. I'm looking for a camera that'll help me capture the world and my experiences in new cultures. I cherish the photos that I take while travelling, and when I recently saw some examples of the Leica colouring, I was seriously captivated. With some research I came across the Q and it looks to be a phenomenal camera. Would appreciate all your advice here.

So I'm looking for a camera that'll be good for travelling (backpacking, so light and easy), that also means I'm nervous about it getting damaged/stolen, so that's a factor to think about. I'm looking on the used market (suggestions as to where to buy would also be great, I'm in Canada). Price is a factor for me, and a used Q would be on the furthest end of my budget. I've also been looking into the X2.

Soooooo.... what would you guys recommend for the situation that I'm in/looking for. Would appreciate your help on this, looking forward to joining the Leica family.

Jordan

@JAYWIEN  The CL is certainly a nice little camera and is very capable, based on everything I have read. 

That having been said, it is hard for me to not recommend the Q2 for your stated purpose.  For a one lens, one camera travel kit, I don't think you can beat it.  Being a Q2 user, I find it hard to think of a better all around travel camera.  At $4995 USD it is a financial  commitment, not an impulse buy, but IMHO the Q2 is money well spent.

...I'm nervous about it getting damaged/stolen, so that's a factor to think about...

Get your camera insured for replacement cost.  That will make loss/damage/theft much less painful if the worst happens. 

A quality camera bag that doesn't look expensive will go a long way in terms of protection.  For the Q2 and a hand full of accessories, a Billingham Small Hadley would be a good choice.  Billingham bags are high quality, well made and offer excellent protection for your camera, but do not advertise that there is a high dollar Leica camera inside. 

Some Leica users like to use a half case for protection rather than a camera bag.  I prefer a satchel type camera bag because they offer a  lot more protection for your camera and they keep it out of sight of prospective thieves.

Another option is a bag that doesn't look like a camera bag like the Filson small Field Bag https://www.filson.com/small-rugged-twill-field-bag.html#sku=11070230-fco-000971914   Filson makes a medium Field Bag, which is also worth considering.

Most of the time, I carry my Q2 in a Patagonia Black Hole Mini Messenger Bag (sadly discontinued by Patagonia) that is around 11x14x4 inches in size.  I put a piece of gardener's kneeling pad in the bottom and called it good.  This looks like a messenger bag rather than a camera bag, keeping the contents anonymous and giving me a  low profile.  There are millions of messenger bags on the market that will work equally well for this purpose.

I hope some of the above will be of value.  Good luck with your decision and welcome to the forum!

Edited by Herr Barnack

If you Rent the Q2 for a couple of weeks (obviously insured) and feel confident,  I undersatnd the rental companies will credit your Purchase with a % of the Rental.. Either drop the hammer or move On..     L

• Like 1

vor 9 Stunden schrieb JAYWIEN:

I'm planning on going on a year traveling around the world. I'm looking for a camera that'll help me capture the world and my experiences in new cultures.

The travel reasons was one reason to buy a Q and then a Q2 as i made a 5 month road trip in southern Europe.
Even if i have a pro grade Nikon D800 setup i donm't wanted to haul around the D800 body and 4 lenses, so i ended with the Q2 and regret nothing.
Sure there are other cameras who would do the same, may have zoom lens and would be much more less expensive,
but the Q2 optical quality and size is unmatched  and the spalshh/dustproof will come handy while travelling.

and when I recently saw some examples of the Leica colouring

Well, while colors can be modified in post production, the real advantage of the Q/Q2 is the razor sharp lens and that's the most important.
You rather start with perfect quality photos and be able to crop them than using a lower quality zoom lens.

One thing you need to get used to is that you have a fixed lens, so you need to walk to or from the object to "zoom" manually.

For this and other reason it's a good idea to rent the Q and maybe other cameras to make sure that she is what you want before you fork over big $$$.

that also means I'm nervous about it getting damaged/stolen

Well, that's always the risk and you should find a travel insurance who cover nt only the camera, but also tablet/laptop and other expensive gear.
Ipersonally don't think that a Leica will get more stolen than any other "expensive looking" camera as most thieves don't even know Leica and the price.

Even if i have a nice messenger style camer bag for my DSLR setup, i usually use a worn and torn messenger bag or sometimes even a shopping bag to hide the camera.
There are a lot of different camera bags, i used successful inexpensive LowePro bags to protect the camera so that i can carry her inside something else,
a backpack, a watertight bag, a messenger bag, a shopper, whatever is right for the given situation.
there are two current treads regarding bags, there are good informations and pictures for choosing a protection for any Q sized camera

You are writening of the Q and not the Q2, me as many others here started with the Q for cost reasons but after a not too long time stepped up to the Q2.
In my case the reason to buy the Q was that the Q2 was not available in Switzerland before i started my trip,
but 3 months later i could buy a new Q2 and got a reasonable - but still 800$ loss - trade-in price so i bought the Q2 and realized the superority over the Q.
However, if the Q2 is out of your budget and only a used Q in reach, be very careful with the camera you buy,
dust inside is a problem with the Q and expensive to have the sensor cleaned by Leica.

Chris

Edited by PhotoCruiser

Noting you will be backpacking I assume you will have your camera on a neckstrap. For that reason I think the X2 is the perfect backpacking camera - small, lightweight, unobtrusive and doesn't swing around too much, terrific image quality. I have a Q but don't use it for backpacking because I find it too large, more obtrusive etc. For me the X2 is a much better choice. It is also much less expensive than the Q. eBay is a good source for either camera. I have bought and sold a lot of camera equipment on eBay and never had a problem. Summary. For backpacking - X2. For other travelling - Q.

Edited by Jayk
Add summary.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I agree with members here who suggest the CL. I’d rather have a smaller sensor with a zoom lens than the cropping possibility of the Q which is a way of fooling yourself. And what if you need a wider than 28mm at the Taj Mahal or in Varanasi? I personally would not buy any Q because it is a very expensive camera for its specs (and more so in a time where we don’t know what travelling is going to be in a year time). The CL travels just as light and easy and has more functionalities than a travel companion. The CL thread here proves that its images have a very nice acutance and bite, it seems to me the best camera with a smaller than full format sensor from Leica, which comes close to an M in image quality and character. The L mount opens up a wealth of possibilities for lenses on a long term basis. Because of the smaller sensor it’s ideal for safari too.

Edited by otto.f

Jorden -

Welcome to the forum.

Since you're concerned about theft, regardless of choice don't bother with a camera bag which just advertises that you've got photo gear stashed in it, and it's yet another thing for you to carry around on another strap.  The bag won't add much weight but it will get in the way as you navigate public transportation, crowds, shots, hotel receptions and the like.  When traveling my Q (and Vlux114) go into my backpack.  I always know where my backpack is, and lever place it where somebody can take it easily.

You've given us no indication of what you like to shoot, and what focal length(s) you most often shoot at with your Sony.  Knowing these things would certainly influence whether I'd suggests a Q, a CL, an X2 or even something else.

Q vs. Q2.  You'll find few if any Q2s on the used market, and those you do find will be more expensive than a used Q.  There's no question that the Q2 is the somewhat better camera in most respects, but the Q is superb.  Considering your budget, the Q is the better choice of the two for you.

The CL with the 18 MM lens, though a fine camera, would be beyond your budget.  the 18 mm lens, though small and light , might not be right for you -- We need to know what I ask in my 2nd paragraph above.

Regardless of your final choice bring at least one spare battery and at least two very good SD cards from a reliable source (there are counterfeits out there pretty widely).

Based upon your requirement for backpacking, I’d recommend the Sony RX100. You can pick which model. It’s very compact, lightweight, has reasonable zoom and takes excellent photos. I have one as a complement to my Q2 which I would not take backpacking unless it was a trip specifically for photography purposes. 

• Like 1

I think you need to first determine if a fixed focal length is right for you. I have travelled with both a single fixed lens camera and an ILC with a zoom lens (or lenses). Both ways work well, but both also have their limitations. Obviously a fixed lens camera is going to be the easiest when carrying and composing, as you only have one FL to think about. The downside is that you only have one FL, so no zoom or ultra wide. A zoom will give you many more options for composing shots. 

If you are okay with a single fixed lens, I would also look into the both the Ricoh GR II/III or the Fuji X100 series. Both will take great photos and are pretty compact. The jpegs out of both are pretty good too, more so than the Q. 

If you need a zoom, I would echo Leica Guy's recommendation of the Sony RX100 series. Super compact camera with a wide zoom range, depending on the series. 

Edited by haroldc

Hi,

I went down the CL route for travel, I wanted the opportunity to have wide angle and telephoto (esp. telephoto) with me on my travels.  The kit fits in a f’stop ‘icu’ and that in turn fits and protects the kit in any old non-descript rucksack.

i don’t have a Q - my need for full frame, was less than my need for flexibility.  

A warning however, the CL is not weatherproof, (not sure if the Q is, I believe the Q2 is), I don’t know if this is a factor for you.

At times I did wish I had my SL2 with me, but that is prossibly more related to the money I spent on it, as opposed to any negative thoughts on the image quality coming out of the CL.  I don’t look at it as a ‘good little camera’ I see it as a ‘good camera system’ which is little.  (I hope you get my drift).

Anyway, the Q and the CL should both be great travel companions, good luck with your decision.

4 minutes ago, E759 said:

Welcome to the forum Jordan. Have you looked at the Fujifilm X-Pro or X100? If only Leica could put a hybrid OVF/EVF in the Q and CL!

I effectively replaced my X100-t with the CL and I am happy I did so.  I manage to get better images out of the CL, however I have seen some fabulous X100 images from other people, I guess I am one of the few people who never really took to it.

(would I be kicked out of the forum if I suggested Fuji’s hybrid OVF/EVF (which is brilliant), should be in the M?)

Interestingly, when I was in Bali - the SL viewfinder and the 24-90 lens got fogged from the humidity and was unusable.  The Q was fine for the remainder of the trip.  So there is something to be said about a "sealed" system.  You can crop to get 35mm or 50mm sized images.  I have blown these images up to 11"x20" (prints) with no issues.  Lastly, I use black masking tape to hide the Leica dot and name so the camera does not look like anything anyone wants to steal unless you are careless and leave someone an easy opportunity to just take your stuff.  I think the Q will serve you well.  

Due to the C'Virus I doubt the OP will be traveling any time soon..  Ideal time to Rent the Q2 and put it through it's paces.. In the event of a purchase I would also imagine that a "good deal" could be had with little poking around..    L 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Leica Guy said:

Based upon your requirement for backpacking, I’d recommend the Sony RX100. You can pick which model. It’s very compact, lightweight, has reasonable zoom and takes excellent photos. I have one as a complement to my Q2 which I would not take backpacking unless it was a trip specifically for photography purposes. 

Yup, totally agree. I love my Q2, but for backpacking I take the Sony RX100. I have four of them (I can quit any time I want!) The most useful for travel would be one of the recent versions with the 24-200mm equivalent lens. (Though the #4 or #5 with the fast 24-70 eq. lens has its own advantages.) The RX100 is exceptionally compact, provides excellent image quality, can be carried in a pants pocket, and is less likely to appeal to thieves. The major downside is the tiny battery, so I carry extras, plus a tiny 2-battery USB charger. 

The Q2 is an excellent camera, but it's rather specialized and its limitations would become apparent when used as a one-camera travel lens while backpacking. 

• Like 1