L mount lenses recommendations for Leica SL (601)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

21 hours ago, northernlights said:

I am considering a used 50 lux SL from what I have seen. The AF seems to be a tad slow on the SL (601) I read. It’s heavy and huge. 

There are just no used 50 APO SL. 

No experience with the Lux50mmSL, but read many posts that the AF is slow. What about the couple'a years newer PanaPro50L? 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, vanhulsenbeek said:

No experience with the Lux50mmSL, but read many posts that the AF is slow. What about the couple'a years newer PanaPro50L? 

The Pana 1.4/50 is a fabulous lens and will satisfy all your needs. Large and heavy, though. For what it`s worth, the German magazine Color Foto rated the Panasonic 1.4/50 well ahead of Apo-Summicron-SL 2/50. 

Edited by Ivar B
  • Haha 1

Thanks again both. 
Yes, i have just read pablographer’s and silhouette’s review. The 50 lux SL’s AF does give concerns, if that is the main reason for considering larger, heavier lenses. It seems it’s an L mount issue all 3 existing L mount alliance systems do not have exemplary AF performance to meet with the likes of Sony or Canon. 
Well, I bought the SL with eyes open wide, knowing this issue and perhaps i will just let the dust settle and see how software upgrades develop. 
The wise thing to do is just to keep my current set up of M lenses, adjust my style and stop straying. The grass is always greener on the other side. 

Edited by northernlights

• 2 months later...

The 50 Lux SL is a brilliant lens, sharper than the M, better transition in and out of focus area than the M or the Noct 0.95 in my opinion. Plus it has AF. I don't own the 50 APO SL so I can't compare the focus speed but I've used the 35SL and 90SL and with the new firmware the AF on the SL Lux felt about the same as the other SL primes. I guess what I'm saying is, the AF is "sure" it hits every time and fast enough to get the shot (for me anyways, and I'm old) and  if you're okay with the weight, I think the 50SL Lux is the best 50 I've shot on any platform period, so if it's IQ you're after, you'll have it in spades. I just sold my M summilux and am on the fence as to my 0.95 and the SL50. 

Cheers!

Here's a couple wide open with the 50SL lux

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I think a lot of us are going through similar decisions. I hear a lot of concerns with the 50 lux, but I really don’t think the focus is deficient. That is the lens I’m working towards getting for the SL. Love the M glass and smaller options but there is something special about this 50.  

opinions on the reviewer aside, I think Steve Huff did a good video review of the 50 lux.  He addresses the focus speed issue right away. I am convinced it won’t be a problem for me or the vast majority of people who would buy this lens. 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 1:26 PM, northernlights said:

Thanks. 16-35 SL is way beyond my budget. I heard about how good the lens is. 

You could consider the Panasonic 16-35. I have it: it's light, not too bulky/intimidating and handles well. The picture quality is fine, even when I peep.

It has accepts 77mm filters. And got superhigh fihures in ColorFoto's (Germany) listings. Se. attached.

The Sigma 45 also reports to be good. Both won't break your bank, can be resold without too much loss when want to revert to DL lenses.

Se some reviews here: https://www.photoreview.com.au/reviews/mirrorless-lenses/mirrorless-lenses-full-frame/

The Pana 24-105 comes out good, but it is large. I found its results rather flat. There is also a new Pana 20-60 mm (not S-Pro),

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by vanhulsenbeek
Listing added
  • Like 1