L mount lenses recommendations for Leica SL (601)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Background:
I shoot predominantly street. I used to be on Leica Mp240 from 2017 to end Feb 2020. Then, in March, I moved to the SL (used) and the leica M-adaptor L, but have not had a chance to shoot much initially because of work and then soon the Covid-19 and lockdowns. From the brief 400+ frames, i only ventured around the park nearest my home and shot things like landscapes (I don’t really like) and some basic macro using a kipon macro M adaptor on my Leica 90 APO and Nikon AFS 300mm (Via F mount to M mount adaptor)

For street, my favourite focal lengths are 24mm, 50mm. I recently sold off the Leica 28mm elmarit asph v2. I still have the 35lux FLE, 90APO and Canon 50 f1.4 LTM (48mm filter) and the Nikon. For wide, i just picked up. Zeiss 21mm f2.8 Biogon T ZM. To me, it’s a good exchange as i keep extra cash from the Leica to Zeiss. I don’t want to overspend due to Covid economic uncertainties. 

The question:

i am more or less committed to the SL. I was wondering what recommendations would you give me for L mount lenses with preferably  AF and what focal lengths. I know for financial prudence, one of my existing leica M lenses: either the 35lux fle or 90apo got to go. I care most about image quality and overall weight And size factor coming from an M mount user. 

1. Which L mount lense should i consider? 
2. Which M mount lens should i sell? 

Thanks. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by northernlights
Changes
  • Like 5

The SL zooms are big and heavy. 16-35, 24-90, 90-280.

The SL 50 1.4 SL is big and heavy.

The SL 35, 50, 75 and 90 are all much better sized and lighter, but not in the size/weight category of M lenses.

The SL lenses produce stunningly nice images.

From looking at your posted shots, I might first consider the SL 35. If that's your choice, then I'd sell your 35 1.4 FLE.

Generally speaking, the Sigmas and Panasonic options tend to be lighter than the SL options.  

• Like 1

Thanks. 
The thing is I honestly don’t think 35mm is my focal length. I like either 50mm or it will be 24mm or wider focal lengths but having the ability to isolate at shallow DOF. M lens system has the 24 and 21 luxes. The Leica AF L mount does not seem to have wider and brighter primes choices at this point. I always buy used anyway. Will have to wait out. 

the zooms focus very close and have decent separation - if you like wide you may want to consider the 16-35, stunning lens (but not cheap) and sell both the ZM and FLE

I personally would not as those are very good lenses, light etc but if you dont like 35 you could sell the FLE at least

if cost is a consideration, the Panasonics and Sigmas are very good (heard and read, I have not used them myself) for a much lower price

You should consider the sigma 45mm f2 8 dg dn contemporary for street photography. 

I own it and love the size and weight. Maybe you don't get the same image quality than with the Summicron 50 from Leica but that's a matter of taste. 

Personally I find the price/performance ratio excellent. 

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/reviews/sigma-45mm-f28-dg-dn-review

https://www.thephoblographer.com/2019/11/07/review-sigma-45mm-f2-8-dg-dn-contemporary-almost-a-leica/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fedro said:

the zooms focus very close and have decent separation - if you like wide you may want to consider the 16-35, stunning lens (but not cheap) and sell both the ZM and FLE

I personally would not as those are very good lenses, light etc but if you dont like 35 you could sell the FLE at least

if cost is a consideration, the Panasonics and Sigmas are very good (heard and read, I have not used them myself) for a much lower price

Thanks. 16-35 SL is way beyond my budget. I heard about how good the lens is. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Ingo said:

You should consider the sigma 45mm f2 8 dg dn contemporary for street photography. 

I own it and love the size and weight. Maybe you don't get the same image quality than with the Summicron 50 from Leica but that's a matter of taste. 

https://www.thephoblographer.com/2019/11/07/review-sigma-45mm-f2-8-dg-dn-contemporary-almost-a-leica/

Thanks. The Sigma is really worth considering for an AF lens. 

You could consider a second hand Summilux 50 SL. Fast lens, superb image quality. Not a lightweight, but the SL system is no lightweight, after all. 😇

On the wider end: some wide M lens or a Leica Q.

Edited by Arrow

I'd sell the 90APO as the 35FLE is more "street" and travel (also I'm biased, as the 35FLE is my favourite lens).

As for what to buy SL lens to buy, the 50 Summilux SL comes to mind. As does the 50APO Summicron SL. I'd pick the latter due to size and performance. It is a phenomenal lens...you like the rendering (more clinical than the summilux, but I've seen worse by other manufacturers).

The Sigma 45mm is something to look at too. Impressive build quality with decent performance and pleasant bokeh. As an M glass shooter you might appreciate the aperture ring. I've no other experience with other Sigma L-mount glass.

Panasonic wise, the 16-35mm f4 is very compact and high performing from the reviews I've read. The Panasonic 50mm 1.4 is quite comparable to the Leica 50 Summilux in terms of performance and has an aperture ring as well as focus by wire focus ring (I like this), but the Summilux has magic sauce (a bit more oomph..and heavier than the Panasonic). Panasonic are also rumoured to be coming out with a 24mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.8 if I recall correctly.

As a starter SL lens you can't go wrong with the 45mm Sigma. It's the most compact of the bunch and most inexpensive. For the price of a used 50mm Summilux you could get a used Panasonic 50mm 1.4, 16-35mm f4 and the 45mm Sigma. The L-mount alliance is really great for options.

14 hours ago, Joe Colson said:

I'd recommend the Sigma 14-24mm DG DN 

Joe

I have the Sigma 14-24 and can also recommend it highly, great performer (on S1R & CL) bit big or a CL but perfect on the S1R as a ultra wide lens, focusses very close too.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Marac said:

Sigma 45mm f2.8 DG DN is a classic, you will love it on the SL, I shoot with it on an S1R & CL

I wouldn't want to suggest what lens to sell really.

4 minutes ago, Marac said:

I have the Sigma 14-24 and can also recommend it highly, great performer (on S1R & CL) bit big or a CL but perfect on the S1R as a ultra wide lens, focusses very close too.

+1 I have both of these lenses, they're excellent. The Sigma 45mm f2.8 is a pleasure to use on the SL & SL2 as a walk around lens, compact & not heavy.  Added bonus, it has an  aperture ring, which I love.

On 5/10/2020 at 11:09 AM, Ingo said:

I am also a big fan of the Sigma 45mm on the SL. Excellent opical quality. Very nice and compact lens.

16 hours ago, vanhulsenbeek said:

Do consider the Panasonic lenses. They work like natives on the SL. They are lighter than Leica SL lenses. For macro the Sigma 60mm L-mount is very good choice. The AF can be of help in the field.

Thanks Vanhulsenbeek! My most recent shots when i first got the SL were macro (With a Kipon adaptor)  that was not really macro but more like closeups of dragonflies at a park near my place because of Covid restrictions. Macros are not my choice, neither is landscape. Haha :) . I wish Singapore streets would be filled with people and life again to shoot again. Most shops are still shuttered and there are only masked people everywhere.

I have booked a trip to Kolkata this 5th June. Obviously I cannot go with restrictions for travelling and fact India is in complete lockdown. Am still trying to contact Expedia who is not replying. Exceptional times. 

Edited by northernlights

On 5/14/2020 at 6:47 PM, northernlights said:

Thanks Vanhulsenbeek! My most recent shots when i first got the SL were macro (With a Kipon adaptor)  that was not really macro but more like closeups of dragonflies at a park near my place because of Covid restrictions. Macros are not my choice, neither is landscape. Haha :) . I wish Singapore streets would be filled with people and life again to shoot again. Most shops are still shuttered and there are only masked people everywhere.

I have booked a trip to Kolkata this 5th June. Obviously I cannot go with restrictions for travelling and fact India is in complete lockdown. Am still trying to contact Expedia who is not replying. Exceptional times. 

I am considering a used 50 lux SL from what I have seen. The AF seems to be a tad slow on the SL (601) I read. It’s heavy and huge. 

There are just no used 50 APO SL.