Photoworks

Leica Fotos for iPad, what a joke!

Well. Fotos (iOS) 2.2.1 knows about the M10 R, but unfortunately I don't have one of those to try with it.  It connects easily with my previously registered SL2, but still warns that it can't handle the second card.  It has not added multi-shot to the drive menu yet. Everything else seems to work as before.

On 7/17/2020 at 1:51 AM, scott kirkpatrick said:

Well. Fotos (iOS) 2.2.1 knows about the M10 R, but unfortunately I don't have one of those to try with it.  It connects easily with my previously registered SL2, but still warns that it can't handle the second card.  It has not added multi-shot to the drive menu yet. Everything else seems to work as before.

Thank you for the update. The annual subscription app model Leica has gone with is, for many reasons, insulting to the customer. Are we incredibly fortunate to have access to cameras like the SL2, Q2, and M series? Absolutely. Does that make us, as customers, blind to the value proposition of the current Fotos ipad app? I think it makes it more frustrating. I appreciate you taking the time to evaluate the latest iteration. Access to only one SD card so late in the app development related to the SL2 leads one to believe there may be a hardware limitation at play or a difficult firmware trade-off they want to avoid.

On 9/11/2020 at 12:28 AM, not12bhere said:

Thank you for the update. The annual subscription app model Leica has gone with is, for many reasons, insulting to the customer. Are we incredibly fortunate to have access to cameras like the SL2, Q2, and M series? Absolutely. Does that make us, as customers, blind to the value proposition of the current Fotos ipad app? I think it makes it more frustrating. I appreciate you taking the time to evaluate the latest iteration. Access to only one SD card so late in the app development related to the SL2 leads one to believe there may be a hardware limitation at play or a difficult firmware trade-off they want to avoid.

Significant Update: Leica has removed the annual Fotos App subscription fee. Leica decided to return the features they took away from the app in an "app update" a year ago to the Leica users who buy modern Leica cameras. The decision to literally take away existing basic app features from existing owners of their high-end cameras damaged their brand, but they have done the right thing in reversing the decision a year later.

It is, indeed, a joke! 
I used to have DLux and this feature was working perfect. Leica has to learn from Panasonic and apply it to made in Germany Leica’s. 
I just gave it up for my T and CL cameras. It is just not working!

Now that the subscription fee is gone, the app is definitely not a joke. It has a clean interface and works well enough. I have four Leica cameras and it works with them well enough that I can check to see if there's anything good on a car ride back from shooting and even post some preliminary images to Instagram. The way I look at it, the iPad is a great device but most things on it are crippled. If I want more, I use my M1 Macbook Air, which is as powerful as any computer I've ever used and barely any heavier (actually lighter when compared to the iPad pro and the Magic Keyboard).