Lightroom - help!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This may not be the correct place to post - but hopefully someone might read and help.

I need to familiarize myself in more detail about Adobe Photoshop Lightroom.

My installed version is 6.14.

Can anyone suggest a good guide or "Adobe Lightroom for Dummies"? I prefer to learn through reading a good guide rather than through trying and failing.

I don`t know if my version is reasonably current or if I need to upgrade to a newer version.

Many thanks!

This will be moved to the Digital Post Processing section for best response.  

Scott Kelby has good primers; just ignore the jokes.  For videos, Julieanne Kost’s free ones from Adobe are excellent. 

LR 6.14 was the last version before the subscription model and is no longer supported with updates or new features (over a year now).  But the basic concepts remain the same. LR Classic is the replacement, for 10 bucks a month, including Photoshop.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Stealth3kpl said:

Many thanks indeed. I just ordered the book.

So having bought and installed 6.14 there is no need to move to LR Classic? Here in Norway, the subscription rates are somewhat higher. 

• Like 1

I have Evening’s books, as well as Kelby’s, and others... from many iterations ago. Kelby’s better match your ‘For Dummies’ approach IMO. But each provide good information.

If you benefitted from all the updates and new features from prior LR versions, then you’ll likely feel the same about moving to the latest. Support for new cameras and lenses might matter too.  And you get Photoshop.

Personal choice, of course.  I consider it pennies after spending a small fortune on other photo and printing gear and supplies.  I spent lots more in my film and darkroom days, and didn’t get organizational and management tools included in the box.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

13 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Guess I moved to Classic end 2017 or beginning 2018 mostly for camera and lenses.

Other chance is to buy a license of Capture One. BTW after the 30-days trial offer:

https://www.captureone.com

Right, so you need to move to a new version to have access to lens profiles for the latest lenses?

19 hours ago, Stealth3kpl said:

No. I use 4! (but, as Jeff says, make sure you have camera profiles relevant to you)

Pete

I use a Panasonic S1R and some Panasonic S/Sigma Art lenses. The only Leica lens I use at the moment for this camera is the 24-90.

But the Pansonic S1R is much newer than 2017 (which is when Adobe stopped updates ?) as are the lenses, so camera and lens profile will not then be included in Lightroom 6. I don`t know how critical it is for these to be included in Lightoom, as presumably whatever optimization is required, is performed in the camera itself?

When Sean Reid tested the Sigma 1.2/35, he confirmed that there is quite a bit of firmware optimization, in particular chromatic aberration. Can Lightroom provide even further optimization?

5 hours ago, Ivar B said:

I use a Panasonic S1R and some Panasonic S/Sigma Art lenses. The only Leica lens I use at the moment for this camera is the 24-90.

But the Pansonic S1R is much newer than 2017 (which is when Adobe stopped updates ?) as are the lenses, so camera and lens profile will not then be included in Lightroom 6. I don`t know how critical it is for these to be included in Lightoom, as presumably whatever optimization is required, is performed in the camera itself?

When Sean Reid tested the Sigma 1.2/35, he confirmed that there is quite a bit of firmware optimization, in particular chromatic aberration. Can Lightroom provide even further optimization?

I'm afraid I'm the wrong one to ask as I rarely use digital cameras. Lightroom 4 was too old for my Leica Q but I made my own profiles for it initially. I'm sure you'll be able to find a work-around. The chromatic aberration tool in Lightroom is very good.

Pete

Depends on the correction needed and one’s PP skills. By example, over the years  the forum initially lights up with all the ‘flaws’ exhibited by each new Leica camera release.  Remember all the complaints about initial M9 colors?  Then magically, the chatter subsides once profiles are released and, eventually, it becomes their favorite.  Some, in the meantime, have already made their own custom profile(s). The higher MP, high dynamic range cameras, like the recent M10 Monochrom, initially get comments about flat files, then the latest profile boosts the contrast and things calm down. Anyone with decent PP skills could have just as easily applied their own contrast curve tweaks to accomplish the same.  Sometimes it’s not as easy.

I still prefer having the latest LR version, not only for profiles, but also for the latest processing engine as well as any new features and controls.  Since 6.14, we’ve received for example the dehaze and texture sliders, as well as the ability to use many controls locally rather than just globally.  I used to pay for major LR upgrades anyway; now they’re included automatically in the 10 buck monthly subscription... along with Photoshop.  No -brainer for me, but others have different choices. If and when Adobe mandates cloud storage, I might bail. 

Jeff

• Thanks 1