Jump to content

Best strap - make do and mend


Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It seems too long since the last “what’s the best strap?” thread - and this caught my eye..   ..a bit of parachute cord and metal ring from a hand grenade. Photo from Leitz auction catalogue.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Back around 1970 I used parachute cord for straps on my IIIf and Leicaflex SL - but no metal ring. The cord could be compressed just enough to fit through the strap lugs, was so soft it caused no damage to the finish, coiled around the wrist to a nice grip, and took up no space in the bag.

This was true army parachute cord: a thin, hollow woven tube. The stuff you buy now is stiffer, with filler inside, and isn't suitable.

Of course, I still have a groove in the top of my shoulder from letting the Leicaflex hang from it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, 250swb said:

A classic design, the ring is to put your finger through for a good grip, a great idea but I wouldn't want to be the person who's parachute it was from.

I think that's Sean Flynn's M2, the one he left in Paris before he took off to Cambodia for the last time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

After that showed up online some people started making them so if you search you might be able to find it :) I like it a lot too

I have thoughts along the same line - can’t make my mind up about the tag-line..   ..either “always carry a parachute” or “always carry a grenade”..

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, TomB_tx said:

Back around 1970 I used parachute cord for straps on my IIIf and Leicaflex SL - but no metal ring. The cord could be compressed just enough to fit through the strap lugs, was so soft it caused no damage to the finish, coiled around the wrist to a nice grip, and took up no space in the bag.

This was true army parachute cord: a thin, hollow woven tube. The stuff you buy now is stiffer, with filler inside, and isn't suitable.

Of course, I still have a groove in the top of my shoulder from letting the Leicaflex hang from it.

Interesting! I’m in no position to judge old parachute cord with new..   ..for what it’s worth, the bit pictured is vintage Vietnam.

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Yaakov said:

I tried it out myself but it was not very comfortable on the shoulder.

This is just guesswork but if you were in a firefight you'd want your camera around your neck resting on your chest where you can get to it, not set at a jaunty angle on your shoulder?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, 250swb said:

This is just guesswork but if you were in a firefight you'd want your camera around your neck resting on your chest where you can get to it, not set at a jaunty angle on your shoulder?

Sounds a bit 'Alan Partridge' to me to speculate on a Leica forum about the best method of carrying your camera for use in a "firefight".

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, wattsy said:

Sounds a bit 'Alan Partridge' to me to speculate on a Leica forum about the best method of carrying your camera for use in a "firefight".

Do you know who Sean Flynn was?

Edit, here is a clue

https://petapixel.com/2018/01/30/story-sean-flynns-leica-m2/

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, wattsy said:

I do. (I've also heard of Henri Cartier-Bresson if you ever feel the need to ask).

Of course you did. And of course Leica 'gear' has lost it's utility over the recent years, but Flynn wasn't trying to impress anybody with his camera strap or how soft, luxurious, and expensive it was, he was making photographs while other people shot at him, so yes obviously in explaining that 'Alan Partridge' becomes the natural touchstone to explain why photojournalists die. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, 250swb said:

so yes obviously in explaining that 'Alan Partridge' becomes the natural touchstone to explain why photojournalists die. 

I'm always impressed by how unintelligible your sentences often are but, just in case you misunderstood, I was suggesting that you were being a bit 'Alan Partridge', not Flynn.

Link to post
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, wattsy said:

I'm always impressed by how unintelligible your sentences often are but, just in case you misunderstood, I was suggesting that you were being a bit 'Alan Partridge', not Flynn.

My point was that it was Alan Partridge who came into your mind when I was talking about Flynn being a war photographer. Let's remind ourselves who actually had the 'Alan Partridge' moment by missing the whole point of the thread.....

 

21 hours ago, wattsy said:

Sounds a bit 'Alan Partridge' to me to speculate on a Leica forum about the best method of carrying your camera for use in a "firefight".

..... where you took my description of Flynn's camera as 'speculation' and hence an overreaction. So as far as speculation goes are you saying he didn't get into firefights and rig his strap to keep a better hold of it? Be honest, you didn't know who Flynn was and mistook a fair description of how his camera was used as an 'Alan Partridge' moment of overreaction. Or aren't we supposed to talk war and photography "on a Leica forum"?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Call it what you will, but I find Luigi's strap to be my ultimate strap. It looks beautiful to my eyes. This is the Tazio strap, Natural Aged Brown, 115cm custom size.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...