R8 Winder battery type?

james.liam

vor 2 Stunden schrieb james.liam:

The CR123a batteries for the unit exists in 1,5 and 3 volt variants. Can both be used?

The batteries I use are 3.0V CR123A Lithium Batteries. All CR123A batteries found by web search are actually 1.5V. 

• Thanks 1

vor 3 Stunden schrieb msh58:

The batteries I use are 3.0V CR123A Lithium Batteries. All CR123A batteries found by web search are actually 1.5V. 

Sorry, I meant to say "All CR123A batteries I found are actually 3.0V"

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, msh58 said:

Sorry, I meant to say "All CR123A batteries I found are actually 3.0V"

That's what I thought! I've never seen nor heard of any CR123 or CR123A batteries other than 3.0V. (The A suffix is immaterial in my experience, depending only on a manufacturer's convention.)

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Do  not be tempted to use RCR123A rechargeable batteries. Their voltage can be over 4V when newly charged and their internal resistance is very low. They can over-drive or over-heat the motor, which is sealed with no cooling. Stick to the lithium manganese non-rechargeable types. Also rewind the film as soon as it reaches the last frame. A part wind-on can leave the motor powered up, where it will quickly overheat. I think this is what happened to mine, where the stator distorted and seized the motor. When I removed the 6V motor, I got it unseized but it was very graunchy. Luckily I found a nearly new winder with a perfect condition R8 and a few days later an unused new old stock winder R8. 

Wilson

4 hours ago, james.liam said:

Graunchy. That's a new one for me.

It is usually applied to classic car gearboxes. When they go "graunchy"  it is time for a rebuild. For my 1977 Porsche 911 RSR Group B rally car, that is about every 10,000 miles. It is an onomatopoeic word describing the sound of a gearchange and is particularly well known to owners of 1950's and early 60's Jaguars. 

Wilson

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gbealnz said:

And was more common in the days before synchromesh gearboxes, for those of us old enough to recall. 

What me crunch a non-synchro box - never other than in Bugatti's where a silent 1st to 2nd gearchange is close to impossible. I learnt to drive on a 1937 ex-LNER Scammell three wheel Mechanical Horse articulated truck around our family factory, with "crash" gearbox. This was the early petrol engine version which had perfectly spaced pedals for "heel and toeing" down through the gearbox for every right angle corner around the works, as it was very easy to get the truck up on two wheels. 

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1