Leica Tri-Elmar 4/28-35-50mm (E55)

analog-digital

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Time for a photo from our afternoon walk.  After all we are on a photo forum. 
M10, MATE

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Am 9.5.2020 um 09:12 schrieb analog-digital:

Thanks for all the comments. I find out:

This lens is available in 2 versions.

Filter mount E 55mm is the first version.
Filter mount E 49mm is the second version.

Both lenses are identical in optical construction.
The first version was a bit unluckily constructed, i.e. the mechanics were sometimes a bit choppy. When turning the lens to the 28mm focal length it did not always work the Leica way.

The later version was mechanically optimized, also the mount was reduced in size in favour of the 49mm filter size, which makes it look much more compact now, also in combination with the camera. 

The light intensity is no problem at all with today's sensors, and the image quality is also on a high Leica level.

In short, an ideal travel lens in this focal length range, without the trouble of changing lenses with the dust problem.

In case you have interest in a second version in very good shape let me know. I am located in Germany and want to slim down my M-equipment. Personally I do like the MATE, but I rather use primes with the M since they are small anyways and offer a little more flexibilty in regards of f-stop.

I had two of the First Versions, one new and one secondhand but after a couple of years both gave me trouble in selecting the frame lines. The first one was repaired but again, with time, the same problem occurred. I loved the lens and it gave me great results. Recently I read somewhere that the Second Version had been mechanically improved and a couple of weeks ago I bought one. So far so good and I hope the lens will continue to perform well into the future.

• Like 1

One of my favourite images with the MATE  -M9 & MATE @ 28mm

Lamu, Kenya

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Triumph said:

I think the Trii is great for travel photography and gives pretty good images but in my view the prime lenses are better in terms of sharpness and detail and of course you get larger apertures

They are, no doubt. But as illustrated in 'michali's Image from Lamu, Kenya, the last think you'd want to do is swap out lenses on a side street in an obscure place like that.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/12/2020 at 3:27 PM, michali said:

One of my favourite images with the MATE  -M9 & MATE @ 28mm

Lamu, Kenya

Love your photo.  I removed the camera shake blur in the above version, so those amazing penetrating eyes are nice and sharp. 

Edited by onasj
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, onasj said:

Love your photo.  I removed the camera shake blur in the above version, so those amazing penetrating eyes are nice and sharp. 

Thank you, it's certainly an improvement to the image.

Best,

Mike

20 minutes ago, michali said:

Thank you Mike. I checked back on the DNG it was 1/45s

Now that I have the motion blur removal model and settings worked out, I'm happy to do the same for your DNG or full-size jpg if you wish; just send me a PM with a link to your file and I'll return a link with the processed file.  Of course I won't share it with others.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, onasj said:

Now that I have the motion blur removal model and settings worked out, I'm happy to do the same for your DNG or full-size jpg if you wish; just send me a PM with a link to your file and I'll return a link with the processed file.  Of course I won't share it with others.

Thank you, PM to follow.