Tripod?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Many years ago I had a full sized tripod that got lost in a house move somewhere between here and there. It wasn’t great in truth: it had the build and strength of the kid who always came last in gym exercises that involved weights.

i would like something small enough to fit in the sleeve on the back of a Peak 5L or 10L Sling, but with enough rigidity that it doesn’t flutter in a moderate breeze, and can support a CL + 55-135 lens.

Any suggestions?

MTIA

I have a Manfrotto BeFree carbon fiber, very light, fine for the CL and lenses up to my 200 f4 Telyt. Carried this one on a recent trip, fit folded in my suitcase, no extra bags. I used a Davis Sanford Compact Tripod for my standard tripod, don't look for this one, I bought it when I was 16 and haven't been able to kill it, will hold the CL and 400 easily and my Linhof 4x5  Technika.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Le Chef said:

Many years ago I had a full sized tripod that got lost in a house move somewhere between here and there. It wasn’t great in truth: it had the build and strength of the kid who always came last in gym exercises that involved weights.

i would like something small enough to fit in the sleeve on the back of a Peak 5L or 10L Sling, but with enough rigidity that it doesn’t flutter in a moderate breeze, and can support a CL + 55-135 lens.

Any suggestions?

MTIA

If you want to use the CL with the 55-135 lens on a tripod you need to know that Leica made a tripod mount that will fit the 55-135 lens;  the STA -1  #14636, was make for the APO R 100 lens, & with care will fit on the 55-135.  Makes it possible to balance the weight and have the lens more stable than when using the tripod mount on the CL camera.

• Like 1

I had a Sirui T-025x tripod for a couple of years and it was a good tripod, if a little underwhelming for my heavier gear or longer lenses. I know it's been obsoleted by a newer model, but the newer model is still a very good tripod. 

I went a different way and purchased a Peak Design Travel Tripod. This is much taller when deployed, much sturdier in use, and can handle my Hasselblad or CL with longer lenses easily. It packs down smaller than the Sirui and weighs about the same. It's also faster to deploy and repack. A terrific tripod: Small and light enough to fit in my smaller bicycle backpack, I find myself carrying and using it more and more. It fits the first gen Sling 10L bag nicely too. My first gen Sling 5L bag doesn't have a convenient way to carry a tripod built-in, however I fitted a pair of anchors to the Travel Tripod's case and used Peak Design's anchor clasp kit and two short lengths of webbing to create a mount for it that works perfectly with the Sling 5L bag too. (It hangs snugly tucked underneath the bag.)

G

• Like 2

On 5/6/2020 at 5:12 AM, david a. edwards said:

If you want to use the CL with the 55-135 lens on a tripod you need to know that Leica made a tripod mount that will fit the 55-135 lens;  the STA -1  #14636, was make for the APO R 100 lens, & with care will fit on the 55-135.  Makes it possible to balance the weight and have the lens more stable than when using the tripod mount on the CL camera.

"with care"

Before I go hunting for an STA-1, what does with care mean? Does it grip too tightly or loosely? Does it require super careful placement so that it doesn't interfere with operation of the CL or 55-135? Something else?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/7/2020 at 2:30 PM, ramarren said:

I had a Sirui T-025x tripod for a couple of years and it was a good tripod, if a little underwhelming for my heavier gear or longer lenses. I know it's been obsoleted by a newer model, but the newer model is still a very good tripod. 

I went a different way and purchased a Peak Design Travel Tripod. This is much taller when deployed, much sturdier in use, and can handle my Hasselblad or CL with longer lenses easily. It packs down smaller than the Sirui and weighs about the same. It's also faster to deploy and repack. A terrific tripod: Small and light enough to fit in my smaller bicycle backpack, I find myself carrying and using it more and more. It fits the first gen Sling 10L bag nicely too. My first gen Sling 5L bag doesn't have a convenient way to carry a tripod built-in, however I fitted a pair of anchors to the Travel Tripod's case and used Peak Design's anchor clasp kit and two short lengths of webbing to create a mount for it that works perfectly with the Sling 5L bag too. (It hangs snugly tucked underneath the bag.)

G

I use a Sirui T-025x too, which I bought specifically for my Olympus MFT gear - the in body stabilisation is so good that I’ve never had a problem. It is perfect for city/travel but a bit smaller than I would ideally like for landscape work. I’ve been lusting after the Peak Design tripod though but can’t justify it!

• 2 weeks later...

Have a small Mefoto Q1, with integral ball head. Packs nicely, good for lightweight camera. Have used it for MFDB with only two leg extensions, and it was fine for that. Likely any lens longer than the 55-135 would be a problem tho.  

I have bought Zomei Z699C from Aliexpress, only 90 USD and carbonfiber, very good quality.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!