Elmar 9 cm

I have an item close to yours (1936 - 321.867) and the lenshead unscrews like in postwar chrome items ,  with exactly the same thread (but not interchangable.. I tried and focus isn't correct - something slightly changed in the dimensions.. or maybe just a matter of shims... I didn't go in depth)

Edited by luigi bertolotti

This is a 1939 lens, unscrewed.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Since with several of your lenses the head can be removed rather easily I have tried again, but I don't want to force anything. It doesn't move at all. I have several other lenses of which the head can be removed so I am familiar with the feeling, but here is no movement at all. 

Thanks,

Lex

No it doesn't look different. It had the aperture ring on top and then a second ring which would make sense to unscrew the head. I tried again but there is no movement whatsoever. Once we can meet other people again (may take some time though) I will take it to Will van Manen and see what he finds out. 

Lex

5 hours ago, sandro said:

No it doesn't look different. It had the aperture ring on top and then a second ring which would make sense to unscrew the head. I tried again but there is no movement whatsoever. Once we can meet other people again (may take some time though) I will take it to Will van Manen and see what he finds out. 

Lex

Post a photo, please;)

Apologies for the quality of the images, I took them with my Phone since I don't have a digital camera (only analog).

Lex

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sabears said:

I don't see nothing wrong: I think it just stuck too! 🔨:rolleyes:

Me too.. keep in mind that maybe it has NEVER been unscrewed for >80 years !! 😎  Same happened to me for my Summicron 50 of 1963...😉 I had to torque strongly a lot... and half part of the chrome barrell had a quite different aspect, having been "hidden" for 40 years or so...

Yes, I think it is probably just stuck if it has never been unscrewed before. When I try to unscrew a lens head like this I start by putting the diaphragm somewhere in the middle stop range so that while I am trying to turn the top part of the lens I am not inadvertently forcing the diaphragm mechanism against the end of its travel at one end or the other. Don’t know if it actually makes any difference but it feels safer.

if you are determined to unscrew it a drop of penetrating oil will help, make sure you put it at the point that it comes apart, see my picture of the unscrewed lens. Stand the lens up so that the oil is running away from the actual lens head as it won’t do any harm just working it’s way into the threads where it comes apart.

purists will be horrified at the idea of penetrating oil/WD40, but you are just trying to undo 80 year old threads in the metal parts of the lens body. It worked for me recently with a similar problem on an old 135mm Hektor lens barrell.

Edited by Pyrogallol

• 3 months later...

Will van Manen managed to get the head loose and now it unscrews easily. Inside the focusing unit the numbers '281' are inscribed (not realy engraved as in other later lenses), correspnding with the last three digits of the serial number. I also read '80', wich I don't understand.

Lex

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I recently acquired a 1947 version of this lens. No problem removing the front lens section. The focusing helicoid, however, is very sticky and I want to clean it out. Have any of you got any experience in opening up the back section in oder to get at the helicoid? 

Any advice you can give is highly appreciated.

Best, Jens

Here are a few screw mount 90 Elmars.  All the heads unscrew.

Dissasembly to completely expose the helicoid threads for cleaning, probably should be left to the professional. It is possible to add a little new lubricant, perhaps of a thinner grade, and it seems to reduce or soften the thicked old lubricant.  The next photo shows a small rectangular port that when the lens is at maximum close focus, exposes a small section of focus thread. A needle type oiler can be used. Not the best solution, but could assist in the short term.

On 8/12/2020 at 1:41 PM, sandro said:

Will van Manen managed to get the head loose and now it unscrews easily. Inside the focusing unit the numbers '281' are inscribed (not realy engraved as in other later lenses), correspnding with the last three digits of the serial number. I also read '80', wich I don't understand.

Lex

Exactly like my 321.867 ... "867" inscribed, and a two digits number which can be either "90" or "80" (writing is very worn) : i think that it's a number related to the effective focal length, used in final assembly to fine tune the infinity focus I can see similar writings in all my later Elmars 90.. from the "all chrome" to the "E39 filter mount"... it's only the "3 elements version" that has a completely different  fitting of the lenshead - and of course the collapsible, which has no removable lenshead)

Hello Luigi, several of my lenses have such numbers engraved in the focus barrel and/or on the lens head, visible when you unscrew them. My Elmar 90mm 3 elements also shows the last three digits of the serial number engraved on the inside of the focusing unit. On the lens head itself the numbers 51 and 90 are engraved. The 90 is obviously referring to the focal length, but the 51 is not clear to me, as is the 80 on the older Elmar I mentioned earlier.

Lex