SL2 preview DOF?

DrM

It is not possible to close the diaphragm on the SL 2. And there is not button for it. Leica has omitted this feature and claimed that it was nearly not used on the SL. In my opinion this was a mistake. Let us hope, they can correct this mistake with a firmware update for which a lot of people is waiting because of several reasons. But until now, not even a date for it is known.

Edited by HeinzX

I seldom used this on the SL (or the CL, which also has it).   From time to time I wonder how to estimate DOF without having to take multiple test shots.  Of course, the only way to know is to study finished images and learn to match how those look with what you see in the viewfinder.  It's also not sufficient to have the nice little camera-top display of near/focus/far distances, because you also have to know how much to believe them.  It's often claimed that the tables are designed for some less demanding era, and you should use the DOF guidelines for a smaller f-stop to be safe.  But neither is a good reason to eliminate the option of viewing with the aperture closed to the taking setting.  Since it has been available in the past, this should be an easy request for Leica to satisfy.

• Like 1

I did not know the SL & CL have this feature. Although the LCD is small, the general impression is what I’m looking for. Taking the shot, view and adjust already costed me some shots.. Having the DoF scale from the top display into the LCD would be a start as well.

Marc

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 minutes ago, DrM said:

I did not know the SL & CL have this feature. Although the LCD is small, the general impression is what I’m looking for. Taking the shot, view and adjust already costed me some shots.. Having the DoF scale from the top display into the LCD would be a start as well.

Marc

The SL2 has the same top display feature, which started with the S. It works,  with shutter half press, especially for easy hyperfocal distance setting (David Farkas praises it for this use), although I prefer focus magnification for a specific subject that requires careful focus.

Jeff

3 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

The SL2 has the same top display feature, which started with the S. It works,  with shutter half press, especially for easy hyperfocal distance setting (David Farkas praises it for this use), although I prefer focus magnification for a specific subject that requires careful focus.

Jeff

That only works in MF mode as far as I know. What is your experience?

Marc

8 minutes ago, DrM said:

That only works in MF mode as far as I know. What is your experience?

Marc

I use MF mode with back button AF, and focus ring set to magnification (useful to check or tweak AF).

Jeff

• 1 month later...

I am not understanding why someone would not be using or wanting this when using lenses wide open.

On my Q, I half press shutter and it just does it.

What worries me is that there might be a technical restriction giving that they had this. 

JK

Stopping the lens down and manually focussing is absolutely critical for getting the near corners sharp between 16-19mm on the 16-35 mm SVE. I do this routinely when focus stacking and define these corners as my near focus point. Coming from the SL, DOF preview being omitted on the SL2 is a huge oversight IMHO.

Edited by jplomley
  • Like 1