Tripod SL with 24-90

Schittra

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I rarely use tripod with Leica. I have basic Manfrotto Befree and absolutely no problem with Leica M.

I use SL with 24-90 and no problem if putting in horizontal view. When I rotate vertical shot, the lens weight pull the camera down. 
Any tripod that you guys use? Maybe I need RRS plate but that will be overkill. I rarely use it. Thanks. 

I own and use 2 tripods with my SL2 - one is a previous version of the Gitzo 2532 (actually they are expensive, but a once-in-a-lifetime investment) with an Arca Swiss Mono P0 head . Perfect combination (although I shoot 95% horizontal so cannot report too much on vertical, but I would not expect any issue). In addition, for traveling and hiking (which is a challenge in itself with SL equipment ;) )I got a Gitzo travel tripod incl. head. - and this works also very well with the SL - the handling is not as comfortable as with the P0 head, but it is stable enough to handle the rather heavy SL + native lenses. When I was looking for a lighter travel tripod I checked also the Befree - but to be honest, this is a children's toy compared to the Gitzo stuff.

• Like 1

I bought into the Leica system initially (2014), purchasing their Traveller Carbon Tripod, plus Ball Heads 24 and 38; all three are superb from an engineering perspective, but are let down badly by the inefficient mounting plate, which, at a push will take the SL and 24-90, but often slowly droops.. I then bought Gitzo; I use the 1545T tripod and 1382TDQ ball head - good kit, which handles up to the 90-280. I also have, and use, their Mini Traveller tripod which will take the SL and 24-90.

• Like 1

I use an older Manfrotto 055 PROB aluminium tripod with Kenko large ball head with that camera/lens combination and it is rock solid. The tripod is heavy but very stable and the head which cost me just £40 a few years back has an 1.5 inch ball. The only downside apart from the weight is a non-standard quick release plate.

• Like 1