Minor CL Not Starting Problem

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was out on a hike today, I used 3 lenses, the first a 105 Micro Nikkor with a Fotasy adapter, the 2nd a 23 Summicron, then when I switched to the third a 55 7 Artisans (L mount) the camera went dead. I turned it off to change the lens, when I turned it back on the view was black with the normal viewfinder info still on, yes the lens cap was off. Lens was on f4 and I adjusted the speed, still nothing. The battery registered 2 blocks, but I changed it anyway, Leica battery, the screen was still black, viewfinder info there. Turned the camera off again removed the lens and reset it, then everything came back on. Any ideas?

if it's working now and you mount the artisans lens again, you might have your answer. just my knee jerk reaction based on nothing but troubleshooting experience. if it works fine this time you'll have to dig deeper or find someone with a similar experience. one thing to try is check the evf/lcd toggle sensor for dust although i guess that wouldn't explain you having any display on the lcd. /guy

Edited by gteague

5 minutes ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

I was out on a hike today, I used 3 lenses, the first a 105 Micro Nikkor with a Fotasy adapter, the 2nd a 23 Summicron, then when I switched to the third a 55 7 Artisans (L mount) the camera went dead. I turned it off to change the lens, when I turned it back on the view was black with the normal viewfinder info still on, yes the lens cap was off. Lens was on f4 and I adjusted the speed, still nothing. The battery registered 2 blocks, but I changed it anyway, Leica battery, the screen was still black, viewfinder info there. Turned the camera off again removed the lens and reset it, then everything came back on. Any ideas?

I've no idea really but just wanted to add that I have had the same thing happen when using a 7 Artisans M/L Adaptor (close focus) and 50mm Summilux on CL, never had it when using Leica M/L adaptor so have to think it's an adaptor issue. Maybe just not seating quite right, or tiny movement.  I had tried same as you pretty much (other than a total reset) with no luck.  At that point I just swapped over to an L mount lens I had with me and all was fine again.  

Edited by Boojay

vor 6 Minuten schrieb Boojay:

I've no idea really but just wanted to add that I have had the same thing happen when using a 7 Artisans M/L Adaptor (close focus) and 50mm Summilux on CL, never had it when using Leica M/L adaptor so have to think it's an adaptor issue. Maybe just not seating quite right, or tiny movement.  I had tried same as you pretty much (other than a total reset) with no luck.  At that point I just swapped over to an L mount lens I had with me and all was fine again.  

Hmmm maybe the 7 Artisans mounts aren't quite precise, a lens that is quite good, hitting well above its price level there has to be some place that corners are cut. 

Thank you

• Like 1

vor 13 Minuten schrieb gteague:

if it's working now and you mount the artisans lens again, you might have your answer. just my knee jerk reaction based on nothing but troubleshooting experience. if it works fine this time you'll have to dig deeper or find someone with a similar experience. one thing to try is check the evf/lcd toggle sensor for dust although i guess that wouldn't explain you having any display on the lcd. /guy

Yes it was a minor annoyance, everything is working. Leica replaced the EVF/LCD sensor about a year ago, that was a big annoyance. 

• Like 1