Panorama ... which lens?

LeicaDreamer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hallo everybody,
I would like to know your views on this question.

I have been using a Leica SL2 with the 24-90 for about 3 months (quarantine permitting ...). Although I have always done travel and street photography, I would like to learn more about landscape photography and I thought that together with the right filters I would like to buy a fixed lens only for landscapes.

I looked on the internet and I was thinking of focusing on a Sigma 14mm 1.8 DG Art. What do you think?

Do you think it's right to choose a 14mm as a dedicated lens or with my 24-90 I'm already in place?
I'd like to know your considerations and thanks in advance for the time you want to dedicate me!

Regards,
Gino

One can shoot 'landscapes' with most any focal length.  Some, like me, prefer use of longer lenses to isolate and compress views, rather than creating wide angle/panoramic shots.  An old article by the late Michael Reichmann, recently republished at LuLa, presents this way of seeing.

https://luminous-landscape.com/make-it-long/

The SL2 and SL24-90 works for me, but so do the SL75 and the SL90-280 (as well as M bodies with 28/35/50mm lenses).  Of course, to each his/her own.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Jeff S said:

One can shoot 'landscapes' with most any focal length.  Some, like me, prefer use of longer lenses to isolate and compress views, rather than creating wide angle/panoramic shots.  An old article by the late Michael Reichmann, recently republished at LuLa, presents this way of seeing.

https://luminous-landscape.com/make-it-long/

The SL2 and SL24-90 works for me, but so do the SL75 and the SL90-280 (as well as M bodies with 28/35/50mm lenses).  Of course, to each his/her own.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff!
I found the Reichmann article’s very useful!
Regards,

Gino

47 minutes ago, LeicaDreamer said:

Thanks!
very nice pictures, thanks for sharing!
With “WATE 16mm” do you mean the Leica 16-35?

Regards,

Gino

Sorry no. I mean the Leica M Tri-Elmar 16-21mm. But I am sure the Leica SL 16-35 does great.

This is a good panorama app: https://www.ptgui.com/

But there are others that probably gives good results too. 

Automated, the learning curve is  quite flat:)

Here is an example where pictures were taken from a Zodiac ( in Greenland) and in the result the horizon was wavy.

No problem: warped in Photoshop and it came out straight:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by vanhulsenbeek
  • Thanks 1