35mm Summicron

21mm SEM

2 extra M10 batteries

Leica EVF (for Nocti)

Leather filter holder with various ND's and polarizers

Lens wipes

Micro fiber cloth

Anker iphone battery brick and cable

And I could probably fit a bit more in here if I wanted to. On days when I know I will be using my full kit (tripod, Lee Filter system, L-bracket, additional lens), I use a Peak Design backpack. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Very cool. Just waiting for delivery of a 5l sling like yours. Looks a perfect option for a body and a couple of lenses. 

I recently bought a 20l backpack for trips away - just before COVID struck so haven’t had much time to use it yet. Hopefully I can pack a couple of bodies and lenses in the sling and put it in the backpack with other bits and pieces (tripod etc) for trips overseas - if they ever happen again!!

• Like 2

On 6/1/2020 at 4:08 PM, erniethemilk said:

Very cool. Just waiting for delivery of a 5l sling like yours. Looks a perfect option for a body and a couple of lenses. 

I recently bought a 20l backpack for trips away - just before COVID struck so haven’t had much time to use it yet. Hopefully I can pack a couple of bodies and lenses in the sling and put it in the backpack with other bits and pieces (tripod etc) for trips overseas - if they ever happen again!!

Peak Design has too many IMO even reasonably priced goodies for Photogs. Easy to get addicted to their bags, straps, pouches, cases and clips. Tread carefully. 😉

On 6/1/2020 at 1:08 PM, erniethemilk said:

I bought the 20l backpack - but I didn't like the way the concept worked, which is that the bag is designed to have your gear be loose inside the bag. If you add pouches/padded protection for your lenses and camera, then the bag gets really tight/small quickly. Also, it ended up being too small for my landscape kit. I ended up giving the 20l bag to my daughter to use as her backpack. And then I bought their 45l Travel Backpack which is perfect for my full landscape kit and I also use it as my carry-on bag when I fly for all my camera gear that I don't want to check, plus more.

12 hours ago, Neutra said:

I bought the 20l backpack - but I didn't like the way the concept worked, which is that the bag is designed to have your gear be loose inside the bag. If you add pouches/padded protection for your lenses and camera, then the bag gets really tight/small quickly. Also, it ended up being too small for my landscape kit. I ended up giving the 20l bag to my daughter to use as her backpack. And then I bought their 45l Travel Backpack which is perfect for my full landscape kit and I also use it as my carry-on bag when I fly for all my camera gear that I don't want to check, plus more.

I'm actually coming to the same conclusion, I love the design and materials but the concept of having gear loose in the bag doesn't make me feel great.  I think it will get moved on pretty soon, maybe I'll look closer at the Billingham range of rucksacks. 👍

I typically use sling or shoulder bags for my gear. I did however buy the Peak Design 20L for my last trip to Alaska and was very happy with the experience. For a backpack, very comfortable, light weight and rain proof during heavy downpours. Likewise I used it just like a sling never having to take it off for quick, swing around access or stowage. For this trip I took a much larger Sony zoom kit with iPad Pro 11". IMO lot to like about this bag coming from someone who is not really a backpack fan.

While I don't intend to use the 20L backpack for my Leica kit, based upon some comments here, thought I would pack it up with Leica gear just to see how it might go. As usual I find the PD Origami style inserts perfect for creating small shelves for smaller gear when needed. This is a larger kit then my usual but still plenty of room to spare to include adding jacket + hat to the top portion if needed and of strap on a tripod to the exterior. Kit includes M10+Grip+wrist stap+ Lux 35 FLE, Lux 24, Lux 50, Cron 90, Noct 50, extra battery, VisoFlex 020, and the large Giottos Rocket blower. 

• Like 2

Other side of 20L

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And from the top view:

• Like 1

I echo the views on Peak Design Everyday 20L. The concept, design and quality is great. It works pretty well with my SL and dedicated lenses although the 90-280 zoom is borderline and the carrying comfort is high. But I really dislike it for M-lenses or other small kit, especially on the top level as shown by LBJ2.

• Like 1

Pic of my Wotancraft Ryker - holds all of my Leica gear for air travel.

Tripod/ballhead, charger, spare batt, M10, 50mm cron (mounted in the pic), MATE, 90mm El M, 28mm ASPH, 21 mm 3.4 ASPH, Visoflex 020.  Not shown is a cleaning cloth and camera/rear lens cover.  

When out shooting I wouldn't typically carry much more than the camera with mounted lens, one other lens and a spare battery.  Lens choice/tripod would depend on what I was doing.

FWIW, probably don't need the 28 ASPH since the focal length is duplicated on the MATE and I have the 21 but I learned a personal lesson when I sold all my Leica gear some years back...sell Leicas cameras; don't sell Leica lenses because when you decide to get back into Leica, you just have to acquire all the same lenses you used to have...and pay more for them!

Edited by Mikep996
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Mikep996 - your statement above ("sell Leicas cameras; don't sell Leica lenses....") is so very true --- it's a bad choice I made many years ago (for me in the 80's) and still regret today - Fortunately now -- years later - I'm just about back. 

• Like 1

derleicaman,

Thank you so much for the red bull cozy idea for lens protection!

I found that size is perfect for my lenses when I carry them in my pocket or loose in a bag. I turned them inside out after cutting them down to the size I desired. When they are inside out, the lens removal is easier, but the stitching is opening a bit.

Amazon sold 6 for about $6 in any color I wished.

Jack

• Like 4

On 5/24/2020 at 5:11 AM, farnz said:

Hi Paulus,

If/when you come over to the UK (after travel etc, has eased up) for your own safety please remember to leave the knife in your hotel room.  In case you didn't know, it's illegal to carry a knife with a blade of 3 inches or more in public (and that includes in a bag as well as in a pocket) and it carries a mandatory 4-year prison sentence.  

You can't even carry a folding multi-tool like a Victorinox or a Leatherman if it has a 3-inch blade. 

The police here don't ask questions, they just arrest the person because there have been so many stabbing deaths in the London and other cities over the past few years.

Pete.

Is this law just for England or all of the UK? I was thinking about a Scotland and North Ireland trip in 2021.

5 hours ago, Printmaker said:

Is this law just for England or all of the UK? I was thinking about a Scotland and North Ireland trip in 2021.

It definitely is for England and I assumed it would be the same for Scotland and NI but of course Scotland has a Procurator Fiscal who decides the law in Scotland so it might be different there to allow those in tartan to carry a ceremonial dirk in their sock etc.  Perhaps one of our knowledgeable Scottish members might be able to help?

Pete.

• Thanks 1

I really should not look at bag threads. All they do is remind me I need a new bag. Or maybe two new bags. The only problem is whenever I get a new bag, my wife finds some excuse to borrow it and, before I know what has happened, it has become part of her collection. Alas, Ona, Hadley Pro, and little brown Domke, I knew you well.

Seriously, I've had my eye out for a belt bag/fanny pack large enough to comfortably hold my M10 wearing a 35 Summicron for everyday hiking. I have an old green Domke F5XA but something smaller made from leather would be ideal. Any suggestions?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's a good question and one that I have also for carrying just the camera.  I'll be interested in the suggestions! 

Domke 5 bags have been my choice for MANY years but I "replaced" my latest 5 with a Wotancraft Ryker a few weeks ago. They are essentially the same size when fully packed though in reality, because it's canvas, the Domke can be "smaller" than the Ryker if carrying less than the max capacity of either bag.  Though I really like the Ryker for it's nice, luxury leather look/feel, I have a suspicion that I'll end up using the Domke more for actual daily photo outings because, with what I typically carry, the 5 ends up smaller and lighter than the Ryker.  

But it would be nice to have good option for JUST the camera!

2 hours ago, Printmaker said:

I have an old green Domke F5XA but something smaller made from leather would be ideal. Any suggestions?

I use a Vida Vida leather Messenger Laptop bag with the single buckle strap that I've added padded partition tabs from another bag to to separate lenses etc from camera.  It fits my M10 and Rollei 40/2.8 Sonnar very nicely but when shooting at night a quick rearrangement of the tabs allows my 50/1 Noctilux to come along instead with room for my iPad, spare batteries, cards and other sundries.

One of the reasons that I like the bag so much is the wonderful patina that the leather has attained with use.  (Hide the bag from Mrs Printmaker!)

Pete.

• Like 1

Just the camera?

The Oberwerth

3 hours ago, Mikep996 said:

That's a good question and one that I have also for carrying just the camera.  I'll be interested in the suggestions! 

Domke 5 bags have been my choice for MANY years but I "replaced" my latest 5 with a Wotancraft Ryker a few weeks ago. They are essentially the same size when fully packed though in reality, because it's canvas, the Domke can be "smaller" than the Ryker if carrying less than the max capacity of either bag.  Though I really like the Ryker for it's nice, luxury leather look/feel, I have a suspicion that I'll end up using the Domke more for actual daily photo outings because, with what I typically carry, the 5 ends up smaller and lighter than the Ryker.  

But it would be nice to have good option for JUST the camera!

Just the camera, with maybe lens attached for immediate ready to go access?

The Oberwerth 1-SECOND CAMERA HOLSTER JAN (...made from a tumbled, full-grain, velvety soft cow hide. )

https://www.oberwerth.com/en/shop/camera-bags/casual/65/1-second-camera-holster-jan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/12/2020 at 7:24 AM, LBJ2 said:

Just the camera?

The Oberwerth

Just the camera, with maybe lens attached for immediate ready to go access?

The Oberwerth 1-SECOND CAMERA HOLSTER JAN (...made from a tumbled, full-grain, velvety soft cow hide. )

https://www.oberwerth.com/en/shop/camera-bags/casual/65/1-second-camera-holster-jan

i love oberwerth, especially Freiburg. I had this bag (one second holster), but i hate the soft magnets on it. I think there's a reason why oberwerth only sold this via kickstarter... 

Edited by stefanusj
additional info

On 6/11/2020 at 3:48 PM, Printmaker said:

Seriously, I've had my eye out for a belt bag/fanny pack large enough to comfortably hold my M10 wearing a 35 Summicron for everyday hiking. I have an old green Domke F5XA but something smaller made from leather would be ideal. Any suggestions?

These recently announced one-camera bags apparently have a belt clip option...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/news/leica-announces-ettas-camera-bags/bi/2446/kbid/3285/kwid/ez

Jeff

• Like 1

Bill Amberg Bag (aka "toolbox", LOL) = M10M + Wallet + Victorinox Minichamp Alox + Lens Cleaner + YeFilter + Powerbank Edited by stefanusj
  • Like 6