What's in your Leica M10 camera bag?

LBJ2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

59 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Among other design/build differences, Billingham top flap corners (including 72) wrap around and better ensure weather sealing, unlike ONA bags that are more susceptible to water entry.  The FibreNyte option is also lighter than the canvas.

https://www.macfilos.com/2017/10/31/2017-10-29-review-billingham-72-the-new-single-camera-protective-shoulder-bag/

Jeff

Actually, I tried both the B. 72 and the ONA and decided on the ONA. 
Yes, the flap corners wrap is extra protection, but it slows the process to take the camera In and out of the bag; it doesn't work well for my needs. I have a Tenba bag in case of rain, and the ONA is a perfect and better choice for me rather than B.72. for my daily photography.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dennis said:

Actually, I tried both the B. 72 and the ONA and decided on the ONA. 
Yes, the flap corners wrap is extra protection, but it slows the process to take the camera In and out of the bag; it doesn't work well for my needs. I have a Tenba bag in case of rain, and the ONA is a perfect and better choice for me rather than B.72. for my daily photography.

Sure, whatever suits.  I dislike bags except for transport/travel or inclement weather; otherwise just camera over shoulder or in hand for shooting. I compared ONA to Billingham options for my larger SL2 kit, and the Billingham better met all my objectives, including build quality and functionality.  Many choices, as evidenced by ubiquitous bag discussions.  

Jeff

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Sure, whatever suits.  I dislike bags except for transport/travel or inclement weather; otherwise just camera over shoulder or in hand for shooting. I compared ONA to Billingham options for my larger SL2 kit, and the Billingham better met all my objectives, including build quality and functionality.  Many choices, as evidenced by ubiquitous bag discussions.  

Jeff

I also want to add that I primarily chose the ONA bag for my Q2M, with the hood attached. It fits perfectly at about 75% of the internal space and leaves about 25% for accessories. 
Then, I happily adapted the same bag for the M system. And it worked perfectly. Same purpose, same approach, different cameras.

But it's fast to open and quickly take the camera. It's like a stylish but low profile PJ bag. It's not a Domke, but a Oberwerth either. 

8 minutes ago, Dennis said:

I also want to add that I primarily chose the ONA bag for my Q2M, with the hood attached. It fits perfectly at about 75% of the internal space and leaves about 25% for accessories. 
Then, I happily adapted the same bag for the M system. And it worked perfectly. Same purpose, same approach, different cameras.

But it's fast to open and quickly take the camera. It's like a stylish but low profile PJ bag. It's not a Domke, but a Oberwerth either. 

I have a 20 year old all-black Fogg Lyre, which was more compact and far less expensive back then, that serves a similar purpose for an M with lens and room for accessories or extra lens.  The Fogg clasp is quick and quiet, and the access is easy.  It’s robustly built and will probably outlast me. But, as noted, I prefer no bag for daily shooting in fair weather. 

Jeff

• Like 1

When I want to go to the beach, I usually use a small regular pouch and this:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I thinks it's all about needs 🙂 and ... 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just added the Domke F-5XB to my kit. Great for M10, two lenses and a few bits. I always prefer my bags to look cheap and inexpensive.

The only issue is that it’s actually a little too big. 

Any suggestions for a bag that literally only holds the M10 and attached lens?

• 2 months later...
On 6/22/2021 at 10:55 PM, LBJ2 said:

New camera new bag...not quite a bag, more a carrying case with very comfortable should strap! I finally found a shoulder strap long enough ( adjustable) that lets me a taller, carry my new M10-R bandolier style with no worries of strap rub/marks on the body of the M10-R.

Just for those one camera-one lens outings with spare battery and SD card in my pants pocket. Reminds me of something I found in my great-grandfather's house, even the beautiful leather aroma is reminiscent. 

*Stock Photos below

https://oberwerth.com/en/products/crossbody-holster-fur-leica-m-und-q?variant=39494969786519

Nice. Wonder if the M with default strap fits in somehow?

Right now?

• Like 3

On 4/14/2022 at 6:18 AM, THEME said:

Nice. Wonder if the M with default strap fits in somehow?

Somebody out there can probably figure out a way. I halfheartedly tried with a thin neck strap, but didn't want to force it and ultimately wouldn't recommend. 

I believe this holster is designed as a two-in-one solution e.g., neck strap carry + protective case. A thumb grip is ideal IMO for pulling the camera in and out of the case quickly and for use while shooting. I carry and use this holster with a thin leather wrist strap plus Leica thumb grip attached to the camera. I can also fit the Leica grip attached to the camera with the same thin wrist strap.

• Like 1

What do you think of the BERLIN CASE by Angelo?  I always admire a company that rethinks. Any users?

here there is only one hole for the strap, the other is left for deafult when the camera is inside.

Much better than my Benser camera bag where there are two holes. To go from a free hanging camera to the use of the bag at least one (and with a shoulder pad, two) strap end needs to be loosed. That was simple in some old methods used in the M240 nd M8/M9 straps, but now they have reverted to a ring, and then you cannot simply take it off (or you break your nail).

[Better still imho would be the capability to 'mount' a camera without straps without having to taken the cord off the camera to insert it, f.ex. with a little flap ..]

I have a small bag which I like from @ybputro (Instagram) , who also make makes great straps as seen here (I have no affiliation). 

Very handy - ideal size for an M with a small lens mounted (35:2 v4 or 35:1.4 v3 in my case) and another small lens as spare can fit in easily.  

I have placed another M in there also but one of the bodies needs to only have the body cap on it, not a lens... it’s snug in that combination but possible   

In terms of accessories I only take a filter pouch and grey card.   

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...

Domke F10 JD. Small and doesn’t scream camera bag.  Holds M10R plus lens and two to three other lenses depending on size. Very light and padded with dividers. Has a zippered pouch for accessories and the flap has a thin zippered pouch. Velcro or clasp for the front flap.  I like the Velcro for security reasons.  I have used it for over 12 years and shows it’s wear but it’s rugged. I cut the domke logo of the front of the flap.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/560313-REG/Domke_700_00B_F_10_JD_Medium_Shoulder.html

• Like 2

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just like @grahamc, I only carry “Das Wesentliche”. 

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 4

Hi.

Here is my Leica setup for reportage photography from my point as a photojournalist.

M10-R M9-P-Q2 (M9 and M4-P)

The camera bag is a small Domke F-5XB, with two pouches hanging on, larger bags for longer transports.

Super-Elmar-M 18mm f3.8 ASPH

Summicron-M 28mm f2.0 ASPH (V1)

Summilux-M 35 f1.4 ASPH

Summilux-M 50 f1.4 ASPH

Voigtlander Nokton 75mm f/1.5 

Visoflex 020 for critical sharpening (portrait photography)

Viewfinder M 18 mm

Viewfinder M 28 mm

A small flash Fuji-film EF-X20 that can be used wirelessly is also included, rarely used.

This is my standard setup when I'm out in the field reporting, it's what I need, and I'm very mobile.

An M9 and an M4-P are on the shelf at home and are taken out when needed.

Press card as well as necessary documentation and approvals.

A small first aid kit is also always included.

Enough memory cards are a matter of course, plus various for cleaning.

I ALWAYS have a small "mirrored" SSD hard drive with the entire project as a backup, this is super important.

The other disk is in the safe locker at the hotel, or hidden in a safe place.

In addition, images have been downloaded to the computer, and uploaded to the «cloud» if the network in the area works well.

18 mm and 28 mm are carried with me when needed, and remain in a Pelican 1510 Protector Case when traveling, where various chargers and computer equipment are also located.

Various types of reflectors and smaller stands are brought if necessary.

As for the 18mm Super-Elmar, I acquired this for a larger project in Uganda.

There I worked in the Katanga slum in Kampala, where it was very tight and narrow alleys. 

This lens is sharp and the distortion is marginal, so it was used a lot.

Otherwise, this lens rarely of use in my daily work.

That was pretty much it.

The choice of equipment depends on the type of mission to be carried out, whether it is out in the field, or some gathering with the family.

The most important thing is to carry a camera, then the pictures will also come.

"As a photographer, it is important to show respect and humility. For me, the main tool is not my camera, but my voice. Talking to the people you meet. If you want to get close to people, you must be able to communicate. And most importantly: Being a fellow human being."

- John T. Pedersen

Thank you for your attention.

With best regards

John T. Pedersen, Photojournalist, Norway.

@photographer_johntpedersen

http://www.johntpedersen.com

Edited by johntp
  • Like 9

Sadly I found a partially eaten cheese sandwich in my bag. Its been in there awhile and so out of concern for all of you with weak stomachs I respectfully withhold any images...

• Haha 3

59 minutes ago, rpsawin said:

Sadly I found a partially eaten cheese sandwich in my bag. Its been in there awhile and so out of concern for all of you with weak stomachs I respectfully withhold any images...

“Old Furry Sings the Blues”…

• Like 1