Sign in to follow this  
smeyerdierks

Leica IIIc aus 1949

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hallo,

gerade was erworben ... Hemmwerk ok,  .... sogar T und B laufen einwandfrei !!

Stefan

Glückwunsch! Die damals dünnere Verchromung sieht noch ganz gut aus und Sharkskin hat sie auch. Also gleich Film einlegen und genießen.

ja, sieht nicht schlecht aus - wobei Du gerade im int. Forum bist ;)

I do not know what is the subject, since German is not included in the four languages I am fluent in. But if it concerns the date and the serial number, I can say I had at least two Leica IIIc with higher serials in my Fontenelle collection  : 500829 and 509174. Both had "sharkskin" body coverage and low quality chrome, and were engraved "Leica/DRP/Ernst Leitz/Wetzlar/Germany" in five lines, compared to the engravings in six lines (GmbH added after Ernst Leitz) encountered earlier in series 486xxx bodies.

1 hour ago, Pecole said:

I do not know what is the subject, since German is not included in the four languages I am fluent in. But if it concerns the date and the serial number, I can say I had at least two Leica IIIc with higher serials in my Fontenelle collection  : 500829 and 509174. Both had "sharkskin" body coverage and low quality chrome, and were engraved "Leica/DRP/Ernst Leitz/Wetzlar/Germany" in five lines, compared to the engravings in six lines (GmbH added after Ernst Leitz) encountered earlier in series 486xxx bodies.

I have some sharkskin Leicas, mainly from 1949 , the year of my birth. My most prized one was delivered only 3 days before I was born according to the Leica Archives. I have some variants including 'upgraded' Ics and conversions to IIIf Black Dial etc. I think that I posted something on this topic before, but I will do an updated list of what I have later and post it here. For the more practically minded members, the sharkskin gives better grip and is harder wearing than normal vulcanite.

William

I've just got around to pulling out my collection of sharkskin Leicas and I find that I now have 8. I had got details on 5 of them from the Leica Archives and will get the details of the remainder in due course. Here are the details in SN sequence which does not necessarily indicate the actual chronological order.

SN 440758 IIIc possibly was originally a IIc produced between 1948 and 1951 - to be confirmed by Archives

SN 455234 Ic Delivery in November 1949

SN 455660 IIf Black Dial - Was originally a Ic delivered in October 1949, and seems to have converted to a IIf BD in January 1954

SN 466206 IIIc 1949 - to be confirmed by Archives

SN 475042 IIIc Delivered in June 1949 just 3 days before I was born

SN 485593 IIIf Black Dial - Was originally delivered as a IIIc in October 1949 and seems to have been converted to a IIIf BD in December 1956 - additional plate below sync dial as original top plate was used.

SN 485856 IIIc No date for delivery given by Archives, just the destination, but it is likely to have been delivered in October or November 1949

SN 496605 IIIc - Was sold to me as 1949, but it is likely to be early 1950 - to be confirmed by Archives.

I can post/send photos of any or all of the above cameras. It will be noted that some of these cameras have had interesting conversions which were not uncommon in that period.

William

Advertisement (gone after registration)

... wie komm ich denn in das internationale Forum ... habe mich doch im deutschen Leica-Forum angemeldet ... ? 

liegt es u. U. daran, dass ich mich (meinen Account) ürsprünglich im internationalen Forum angemeldet habe ? (... nur ein Erklärungsversuch ...)

with best regards

Stefan

1 hour ago, smeyerdierks said:

... wie komm ich denn in das internationale Forum ... habe mich doch im deutschen Leica-Forum angemeldet ... ? 

liegt es u. U. daran, dass ich mich (meinen Account) ürsprünglich im internationalen Forum angemeldet habe ? (... nur ein Erklärungsversuch ...)

with best regards

Stefan

You need to check this with Andreas who runs the Forum. I thought that entry was common for both the International and German Forums.

On 4/30/2020 at 10:49 AM, Pecole said:

I missed this point when I was listing my examples above. I do not have a sharkskin model with an SN above 496605 and I can confirm that one has five lines and no GmbH. Likewise the top plate of 455660, which may have had a new top plate added as late as 1954 only has the 5 lines and has no GmbH. I need to look further at my collection to see which is my earliest example of this change.

William

20 hours ago, smeyerdierks said:

with best regards

Stefan

Puisque ce Forum est international, pourquoi ne pas y inclure le français, certainement plus fréquent que l'allemand en utilisation courante? Mais je plaisante...sorry, I mean : I'm joking and perfectly happy with English, the true "international" language.

... dont know, whats going wrong ... copying the link of a Youtube video, but if I pasted it you only see the YT - site ...

...try: leica docu (dokumentation) on YT ... 🤐  ... and take a look to the URLEICA !!  It is worth it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this