Q2 Aha Moment

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yesterday I took my Q2 on a hike. On past hikes I've never been thrilled with critical sharpness of my images, even using spot focus. Then for some reason it occurred to me to use manual focus with zoom/focus peeking, and VOILA, I was able to focus the images with point of focus exactly where I want. And the focus peeking changes with changes to aperture which is a handy way to determine how shallow or deep to make depth of field. 

I normally never concern myself with manual focus because primarily I'm a street shooter. Here are some of the shots.

https://brick.smugmug.com/Photography/2020-4-29-Haw-Creek-Blue-Ridge-hike/

• Like 3

2 hours ago, brickftl said:

Yesterday I took my Q2 on a hike. On past hikes I've never been thrilled with critical sharpness of my images, even using spot focus. Then for some reason it occurred to me to use manual focus with zoom/focus peeking, and VOILA, I was able to focus the images with point of focus exactly where I want. And the focus peeking changes with changes to aperture which is a handy way to determine how shallow or deep to make depth of field. 

I normally never concern myself with manual focus because primarily I'm a street shooter. Here are some of the shots.

https://brick.smugmug.com/Photography/2020-4-29-Haw-Creek-Blue-Ridge-hike/

Even better is to change the display to monochrome and keep focus peaking on. I choose the red color. Set the Film Style to B&W Nat. I keep my Q2 set this way all the time. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Leica Guy said:

Even better is to change the display to monochrome and keep focus peaking on. I choose the red color. Set the Film Style to B&W Nat. I keep my Q2 set this way all the time. 

good idea, I assume that only affects viewfinder and I'll still be shooting RAW per my settings, correct?

55 minutes ago, brickftl said:

good idea, I assume that only affects viewfinder and I'll still be shooting RAW per my settings, correct?

It affects jpg’s and not RAW. I never shoot jpg. I always assume I can end up with better images processing RAW’s afterwards. 

46 minutes ago, Leica Guy said:

Agree. I looked at your website. You’re going to enjoy the Q2. I look forward to your posts. I do encourage you to post on the forum as well as at times including your link. 

thanks! Actually I've had the Q2 since late last year and absolutely love it for my street work. Here's a link to pictures I took last month, all with the Q2.

https://brick.smugmug.com/Photography/2020-3-21-FTL-beach-walk/

• Like 1

On 4/29/2020 at 8:53 PM, Siriusone59 said:

One thing for certain, your images do have the much coveted Leica pop.  

Looks more like the "Lightroom sliders to the right" pop to me to be honest. Sorry OP, I realise these things are a matter of personal taste but for my taste they are too contrasty, too vibrant and over sharpened.  Nice compositions though, personally I just like things a bit less "in your face".

9 minutes ago, Chippy_boy said:

Looks more like the "Lightroom sliders to the right" pop to me to be honest. Sorry OP, I realise these things are a matter of personal taste but for my taste they are too contrasty, too vibrant and over sharpened.  Nice compositions though, personally I just like things a bit less "in your face".

no problem, as you said it's just a matter of personal taste. Others have a different take, all good.